Gibson Brands Forums

Can you overwhelm a guitar?

Gilliangirl

Yes, I think you can. I spent yesterday putting new paraphernalia on the guitars. Elmo got a new bone saddle and bone bridge pins. I broke the existing light strings on there while doing this and so had to put new strings on. The only strings I had on hand were EJ-17s (mediums) and so I had to put those on (tuned down mind you). This was way too much for this little guitar, who now sounds like he just can't handle all the sound any more. Does that make sense? I'm going to backtrack a bit here and try something else.

Lily, the J-185, got new pins and she looks fan-freakin'-tastic!!!! And she sounds amazing, as usual.

Yes' date=' I think you can. I spent yesterday putting new paraphernalia on the guitars. Elmo got a new bone saddle and bone bridge pins. I broke the existing light strings on there while doing this and so had to put new strings on. The only strings I had on hand were EJ-17s (mediums) and so I had to put those on (tuned down mind you). This was way too much for this little guitar, who now sounds like he just can't handle all the sound any more. Does that make sense? I'm going to backtrack a bit here and try something else.

Lily, the J-185, got new pins and she looks fan-freakin'-tastic!!!! And she sounds amazing, as usual.[/quote']

What do you mean "can't handle the sound"? Perhaps with the medium strings and tuned 1/2 step low, little Elmo can't handle the extra volume and rumble. He's just a little guy, perhaps light strings tuned to pitch? I wouldn't suspect the bone nut or pins would cause enough sound difference to make Elmo over drive the top. Mediums tuned 1/2 step low, perhaps.

I'd be thinking that there is not enough tension on the strings. They are tuned down, what, a whole step (?) and the neck relief/saddle is set for lights at A440. Id imagine if you tuned to pitch, lil' Mo' just might sound like BIG MO. At least that was my experience with my Blues King that I used to have.

So you think I should bring them up to standard tuning? I'll try it and see if it's better.

Yup...tune her up and see if she sounds better....I think the short scale and low tuning are the problem.

Looks like the 185 is going to be SWEET with the upgrades!

Archived