Gibson Brands Forums

Strap locks

PeteC

My son has been complaining of his strap coming off his Epi SG Special.

So I go to the local GuitarCenter and pick up some strap locks (Zepplin), but they don't fit the SG Special front strap button because the strap button is also a neck fastener and too big for putting through the new strap lock button.

Can you recommend a strap lock that works with the larger front strap button fastener?

Thanks!

I know one solution.

sm-dsc_1644.jpg

After you've had the refreshing drink (WARNING - check your local legislation for alcohol consumption first),

take the rubber washer and pull it over the strap button to keep the strap in place.

sm-dsc_1648.jpg

Works.

You can measure the screw's diameter and run a like sized drill bit through the Schaller button, Im guessing the same will have to be done to the other button as well and it will likely be of a smaller size than the neck screw. If it's the head that won't seat inside the button.... you can hand file the edge of the head, with a basturd metal file,(a little at a time - going around it), until it drops through. I routinely do this because the Schaller screws are smaller diameter and don't fit the Epi hole well, but the Epi screws won't seat in the Schaller button. I don't think, (IMHO), that there is a better straplock out there though; so to me it's worth the little added effort to make them work and still maintain the factory screw's fit for security: which is kinda the whole point of the locks in the first place. Others have used a toothpick to take the extra space in the holes and used the Schaller supplied hardware. All have mentioned using some type of adhesive on the toothpick shim. Wedgie

Hey Y'all,

thanks for the recommendations.

I'll certainly post what I end up with.

I'm not sure if I like the idea of "tooth-picking" the neck hole, especially if the supplied fasteners are as small as the normal (non-SG) strap button fasteners. The size of the normal strap button fasteners that are not also neck fasteners (screws) is #6, and the SG neck fastener screw is a #12. That is a big difference.

I'm considering removing the neck fastener plate and tapping machine threads into the plate, then installing a locking strap button with #6 or #10 machine screws.

My son's SG Special has a fresh huge dent at the bottom of the body. What a pisser!

The salesman at the Guitar Center, and all salesmen for that matter, should have recommend getting strap locks for the guitar.

OK, I am a newbie to guitars, and newbies have a steeper learning curve, and newbies must suffer the pains of being a newbie. But the salesman is supposed to be a professional (he acted like one...) Yea, I'm pissed off...

I'm also pissed off that Epiphone/Gibson would design a guitar that didn't offer an immediate strap lock solution.

I have Schallers on my LP. The nuts need a tiny drop of locktite when you assemble them or you have to check them periodically for nut backout. I almost lost my LP one day when the nut fell off. The little thumbnut on the spring loaded lock did the same thing...came off in my hand when I removed the strap. Check all the hardware each time you play and invest in a bottle of locktite.

How do you post photos?

I was looking for a FAQ page, didn't find it...

It seems the only options are for posting photos is to have an internet location for a photo with the [/img]

brackets.

Yea, I know, I'm a newbie with more stupid newbie questions...

Good advice on the Locktite for the thumb screws. Thanks Dave.

Thanks JC,

Here is what the SG Special stock strap button looks like:

My quick fix is going to get a #12 stainless steel finishing washer to go over the stock neck strap button for that (nearly) permanent strap attachment.

DSCN0526.jpg?t=1201871708

And here is the damage so far:

DSCN0527.jpg?t=1201871979

• 1 year later...

Unbelieveable! Came up with this concept a few years ago. Wanted something simple, permanent, and still be able to case my guitar - and keep the cost affordable for all. Now it is on your web site. Thanks for the good pictures that have been sent, we are currently running them with our Ebay ads. I will drop in on your site from time-to-time, the discussions are informative.

Guest icantbuyafender

I took that screw out and toothpicked the hole. then I just used the provided screw that comes with the dunlop straplok.

easy peasy lemon squeezie.

Hang on, I put a strap lock on my G310 and the button is a neck fastener there and it worked fine... sent the guitar a tiny bit out of tune but it worked... pretty sure the SG Special has the same type of neck bolt as the G310... if the OP wants I can post some pics, if that would help...

Food fer thought... I have the Schallers on one of my SG's and they were smooth

as silk to apply and work just great. Now... With the Dunlops, Be prepared to do

some slight drill work as the supplied screws are probly 3/8" longer than your

stock button screws. The reason I say that is because the screwin' of the screw

gets mighty rugged as you bottom out... Your stock screws won't fit the Dunlop

locks, (Bigger diameter). Use your felts, The locks will bite in a bit hard... .02

I use Schallers on all my guitars. Very good strap lock. Only about 20 bucks for a set. Cheap insurance.

If the screw is too long, you can drill a deeper hole, or cut the screw with a pair of side cutters.

Be careful, you don't want to drill through something, or cut the screw too short.

If the screw is too small, I'm with "nickblues". Use wood glue

to glue a piece of toothpick in the hole and voila, a smaller hole.

The glue is actually stronger than the wood.

Archived