Gibson Brands Forums

Les paul one peice body.

LT ED

Hi folks. Could anybody shed any light on this one. Ive just bought a les paul limited edition and on close inspection of the back I noticed that the body is two peices of mohgany stuck together.I didnt see it until i looked close but you can see change in the wood down the straight edge in the middle of the back. Ive looked on the net and cant find another ,only on a les paul suprerme. Anybody else got this and would anybody have photes. Thanks chaps.

Hi folks. Could anybody shed any light on this one. Ive just bought a les paul limited edition and on close inspection of the back I noticed that the body is two peices of mohgany stuck together.I didnt see it until i looked close but you can see change in the wood down the straight edge in the middle of the back. Ive looked on the net and cant find another ' date='only on a les paul suprerme. Anybody else got this and would anybody have photes. Thanks chaps.[/quote']

From what I understand, the bottom of the Paul has been three pieces for some time.

Gibson started using two piece backs again from time to time a few years ago, I am not sure when, but sometime after 2000. It is due to the difficulty in getting really good mahogany in large enough billets for one piece bodies. They still try to use one piece on the higher end models. But I think one piece backs on Gibson USA guitars is getting more and more rare. There is nothing really wrong with two piece backs. They usually do a good job of getting aesthetically pleasing backs, and some can have some very interesting looks to them.

Not like when Norlin was using almost any piece of wood to make up the backs and especially the tops of the guitars. You could find Norlins with 3 and 4 piece tops all the time and one piece might have some flame, and they never thought about how it looked when it was put together. I remember seeing one 3 piece top Norlin, that had 2 pieces with some flame in them. Rather than put the 2 flamed pieces on either side of the plain piece, they used the flamed pieces for the center and bottom. They also wouldn't even try to get three pieces the same width. So you could have one piece making up 60% of the top, another 30% and the third 10%.

There I corrected my math :-k I can't type and talk at the same time anymore.

• 1 month later...

It seems that about 80-90% if not higher of LP Standards are a 1 piece back, the Standard Fadeds and Classics seem to be between 50-60% 1 piece backs, Studios..................hmmm who knows if how many pieces make and Ebony or Alpine/Classic White.

Archived