Gibson Brands Forums

Happy Used Guitar Day

daneman

With all the threads talking about Headstocks lately.....

samickdot1.jpg

Well the UPS guy dropped this off yesterday. I wasn't going to post it here but have had a request or two,and it is a new family member so...

samickdot2.jpg

She's a deep wine red.Like this. Real hard to get the color here in the cave. This guitar was so filthy I had to clean it several times it almost looked like a "faded" model .

incase.jpg

Came with a somewhat battered TKL case.Had loose pots and the bridge pickup didn't work.cleaned the switch and tightened up the pots.All works great now.Most of the parts on here are the same as samick made epiphones.Figures.

dothead2.jpg

The ugly headstock repair that made the price really nice!!! I'm going to cosmetic it up a bit but she holds tune rock solid!!

fracturefix.jpg

Hey Dana, Great looking new/old axe!!!:D The clown who did the repair should have consulted with you first.....but I'll bet after you get through with it it will be hardly noticeable. God I love slightly beat up guitars with that lovely patina. Enjoy!!

Thanks guys.Even with the stock pickups she sounds really sweet. The action is too low (for my taste ) and it still can't be heard buzzing at all plugged in.

Unplugged theres a trace but it makes it sound like a very slight fuzz tone not enough to be annoying .It sounds electric unplugged LOL.

Haven't checked the set up totally yet,but she seems to be right on.Has a molded plastic nut that works correctly!!

Probably set it up to my specs after I've finished with some other bits.

She's a sweety Dane! A pawn shop over in Ct. has a Samick SG copy, set neck, black, little grubby, but nothing a little TLC wont cure for 135 bucks! I'm gonna see if he'll trade me my Digitech RP1 for it, hey, worst he can say is no, right?

Got one of those vinyl applique kits off the bay. Black vinyl background,gold GIBSUN logo(appropriate for an asian guitar no?) with a split diamond stickers

Figure that'll look better than nothing. Of course what i really would like is to find a Samick overlay.

On the back I'll just sand it some and paint with some nail polish.Just so it doesn't jump out at you. Don't need to look brand new,I think if it was undetectable that would be dishonest,especially how bad this break was.Doubt I could make it perfect without refinishing the whole neck,that may be a future project.But I bought this mainly to play,so as long as the repairs don't affect playability,I'm not concerned.

Picture126.jpg

Looks pretty cheesy no? LOL still, a lot better than before. Never worked with this before.Once it sticks its stuck you only get 1 try.Actually the diamond is pretty well centered but the left center tuner is a tad further in than the right.

Gibsun lol. Looks like I missed some fingerprints.

Picture131.jpg

Nice score! Those Samick Artist Series guitars are awesome --- generally nicer quality than the comparable Epiphones. I believe yours is model SAN-450 --- here's my SAT-650.

SamickSAT650.jpg

And Matiac --- if that pawnshop Samick SG is the Artist Series version and the neck, frets, and electronics are in good shape, it's a steal at $135. Imagine a G-400 with neck binding, more accurate body bevels and better pickups, and you get the idea.

Yes Parabar,you are correct its an SAN-450. Wowsers that one of yours is reaaaal purty!!!

I know I'm enjoying this guitar,probably even more with some tweaking.I like a higher action than this has,but keep putting it off cause it plays so damn easy!!

Any Idea about the stock pickups in these? Did you change yours?

They seem to have a sweeter tone than most epibuckers.

Also do you have any idea what pickguard might fit? Not sure if a standard Epi one would work.

daneman asked:

Any Idea about the stock pickups in these? Did you change yours?

They seem to have a sweeter tone than most epibuckers.

Also do you have any idea what pickguard might fit? Not sure if a standard Epi one would work.

The pickups in mine are stock --- they seem to be a higher output than the typical Epi ones, and I have no plans to change 'em. They sound good clean --- crisp and bright, but add a bit of overdrive, and OMG --- creamy, smooth sustain-o-rama! Larry Carlton's "Kid Charlemagne" tone or Robben Ford terrritory for sure! And you're right, the action is as low and fast as anything I've ever played, with no fret buzzes anywhere.

The pickup spacing seems typical of other 24.75" scale guitars, so I would think any 335-style pickguard could work. The mounting hole in the top corner would be the trickiest part --- most PG's have an adjustable bracket for the lower hole.

Lerxst;

Clear coat. Maybe when I change strings.Knobs yes. Keystones would look good,stock schaller copys work really well tho.

Trc possibly,kind of like the stock one,but who can tell what I'll decide tommorow I may change my mind.Probably have to save up a few weeks. Next few are big bill weeks,you know how it is.

Parabar;

Yes I agree the stock pickups probably aren't getting changed.Possibly pots and wiring in the future,the ones in it work fine,but are the small dime sized pots and may fail at some point.If they do I'll rewire her. I suppose if I get a pickguard that doesn't quite fit I can trim it a bit.

Thanks guys for your input!!!

Archived