Gibson Brands Forums

Happy new Epi SG owner here [just joined]

Guitar Bob

Hi all

[i'll probably make errors here as I get used to it all, like how to post pics, etc.]

Meanwhile, I'm stoked. I'm a Fender player from way back, but I succumbed to a blue SG-400 from the 'bay last week, played it all 3 sets at Sly McFly's last night, and had a ball. The band loves it too. [What a deal. I wish good guitars were that reasonable way back when I really needed it.]

It took a fret leveling, I also had to file the nut slots lower, but I love it! I also rewired the controls to just one volume/one tone, like a Tele [this old dog gets easily confused by new tricks].

Anybody know anything about the availability of heavier bridges for Gibson style axes like these? I once stuck a stainless Wilkinson trem bridge on a Strat kit and it so bumped up the response and sustain that I'm always interested in that kind of mod.

Welcome to the forum

Nice looking guitar. If you are thinking of changing the bridge, take into consideration, Epiphone has metric parts that are not interchangable with Gibsons. That being said there are many people on this forum that have much more knowledge than me about good buys and places to get them from. I'm sure they will chime in and be helpful.

We try to help, but we always care.

Welcome Guitar Bob. Congrats on the nice blue G-400!!!

To post pics on here,get a free photobucket account.Upload your pics to photobucket.Copy/paste the img code(that's the bottom of the 4)into your post on here, and you should be in bussiness!!!

suicidehammer, Tuners will work. Bridge spacing is a different animal however. The holes on a Gibson USA bridge measure differently from center to center. It won't fit on an Epiphone without extensive modification,i.e. removing,filling the holes,redrilling new holes at the required spacing,setting in the new bushings ect.

So as Whitmore Willy said they aren't interchangable.

Hey Guitar Bob, I got a Gotoh bridge for my Epi, I believe techy got it from Stew Mac, but don't quote me there, or Allparts maybe, I aint sure, but they do make a way better bridge than what's on it stock. Dont got a closeup but maybe you can see it...the blue one.

300826693.jpg

Archived