Gibson Brands Forums

Is it just me. . .?

Tukinator

it always seems to be epis..

they have always had a lot of wrecks.. and I mean wrecks.. entire necks off at the joint.. headstocks snapping like turtles at chuck berrys privates..

you'd think people would be smacking squiers around.. *G*

it's that angled headstock. I guess. some people just dont take care of them.

notice that even busted up they dont sell all that cheap?

*S*

I have to admit. When I was LP shopping I was initially interested in this LP Goth w/ a snapped off headstock from shipping. It was totally brand new except for the minor blemish... They were selling it for like $150 and I was really tempted. It was a pretty clean break, and when I showed my tech he said it could fix it up (no finishing work, just repair the wood) for $100. In the end I'm glad I didn't go for that. Instead I got a heavily-used, but not -broken- guitar at a local shop for a lot less than I'd have paid to get that guitar and get it fixed up.

*S*

I saw one last week, I think it was a U-FIX blue G-400 that went for over $200. I'm sorry, but that is insane. For $100 more I can get a G-400 with no problems.

I have been intrigued by the U-FIX Epis, and have thought if I could get one for under $100 I would't mind trying to fix one. But Twang is right, they usually go for some ridiculous price adn I just won't pay that.

it always seems to be epis..

they have always had a lot of wrecks.. and I mean wrecks.. entire necks off at the joint.. headstocks snapping like turtles at chuck berrys privates..

*S*

Those guitars are being sold by guys who purchase ship-damaged guitars by the lot... I swear there was a '57 Junior that showed up on eBay that looked exactly like one of the broken ones that MF sent me...

I would consider buying one if I could get it for $100 or so.. I can fix it myself, as long as it's a clean break and there's not much wood missing... But I'm not paying $200 or more for a guitar that sold new for $250...

Daneman did a good job on the G400 he got with the snapped off headstock... I'm sure some of you remember that...

A couple of years back I got it in my head that it would be interesting to try and pick up a used G-400 off eBay. However after checking a couple of auctions I realized that, once exchange rates on the dollar and shiping costs were factored in, it would be cheaper to just buy a new one... and that didn't even take into account my 'employee discount'. No, there are good deals on eBay, and there are bad deals too, especially when an auction gets driven up by bozos with 'auction fever' who don't pause to consider what an article is really worth. With brand new G-400s going for $309 Cdn these days, there's no way I'd shell out more than $200 for a used one, or more than $50 for a busted one. Also consider that a lot of those on auction are going to be crappy DaeWons and so-so Unsungs and Saeins... whereas if I get a new one I can make sure that it's a QingDao.

Angled headstock plus the wood. Mahogany is nowhere near as strong as a chunk of rock maple' date=' even the fake Indonesian stuff. Don't forget, a lot of times the break happens way down the neck, nowhere near the angled section.

[img']http://www.marantatech.com/Graphix/studiobreak.jpg[/img]

Seems like it must come down to how people treat their guitar. Some must be doing Pete Townsend imitations #-o. I've had my Strat since 1983, and my Ibanez since 1999 - both played HEAVILY and gigged - not a scratch on either of them (including belt rash). The key is, when you put it on a stand, don't put the stand out in the middle of traffic 8-[/

I find that it is the same guy with these broken headstocked epi's now i feel he may be breaking these on purpose or somethin so that good lutiers or someone testing the rocks will buy it. just my opinion
Let me clarify:

He buys a brand new guitar.

He breaks the headstock off

He sells said guitar for less than (but close to) retail price

I'm not an economist' date=' but I believe the basic rule of business is to [i']not lose money[/i]

I've considered a few broken guitars, but one I was looking at (a Dot Studio) sold for over $200... in Worn Brown. Only a year ago, that guitar was $200 brand new.

I find that it is the same guy with these broken headstocked epi's now i feel he may be breaking these on purpose or somethin so that good lutiers or someone testing the rocks will buy it. just my opinion

Damn...we've been breached... RETREAT!!

The necks having no volute doesn't help either.

LPhead3.jpg

Ricochet - that just kills me to see that!

On a related note, I got the guitar below a while back on eBay. Opened the box, pulled the guitar out by the neck, and immediately felt something wrong.

Everything with the seller and USPS worked out fine, but it got me thinking about something.

You buy a new guitar, leave it sitting for a minute come back and to your horror find it on the floor broken. Next, you snap a pic of it, chuck it up on eBay as *mint* and insure it when you send it. That way, you get the money your originally put into it back, the seller gets his insurance claim money back and the P.O. takes the hit.

It just struck me as odd that the guitar snapped during shipping. It must have taken a real good hit.

destroyed.jpg

You buy a new guitar' date=' leave it sitting for a minute come back and to your horror find it on the floor broken. Next, you snap a pic of it, chuck it up on eBay as *mint* and insure it when you send it. That way, you get the money your originally put into it back, the seller gets his insurance claim money back and the P.O. takes the hit.[/quote']

Wow, dude, that's nasty. I know that I wouldn't bid on a guitar where the guy's photos avoid showing some area of the guitar clearly.

Wow' date=' dude, that's nasty. I know that I wouldn't bid on a guitar where the guy's photos avoid showing some area of the guitar clearly.[/quote']

It was a fairly rare case right after I got my gold top LP. Serious case of g.a.s.

There was one pic and it was fairly small. The guy had good feedback and all, so I did it.

I'm in no way suggesting he broke it, and then sold it like that.

More than anything, it caused a little creative thought on my part.

Archived