Gibson Brands Forums

The LP 100

TWANG

I saw Musician's Friend's Stupid Deal yesterday, but they were sold out by then.

They must have sold-out early, because I didn't have practice and came home right away.

Today they have the reverse-headstock Strat for $400... I considered it.

I have a couple of Epi standards a Korean '03 & a Chinese '04. I put burst buckers in them and really think they stack up pretty well to the Gibsons I have played. That said I picked up an lp-100 in CA Music House a while back. I knew from my Epiphone catalogue it was Bass Wood w/ceramic pick ups. But, I have to say inspite of: the bolt on neck, the ceramic pick ups, and the Bass wood body, I thought it was a pretty good lil player & that it was as close to a true Paul tone as you are going to get for a couple hundred bucks.

As usual, Epi's web page specs are to be taken with a HUGE grain of salt. Notice on the specs that Wastra links you to, the definition of the guitar describes AlnicoV pickups (untrue) but the spec list says it has ceramic 700T and 650R pickups (correct). More than likely some web hack copied the page from the LP Standard and made a few edits to conform to the LP-100... and forgot to remove the reference to a maple top. If you look at the picture you can see some pretty obvious basswood slabs which seem to prove that there's no cap there at all. It's possible that they have taken to adding a plain maple veneer to the guitar though, but none of the LP-100s I've seen have had it.

Stumblinman, you're right, it does look a bit like Adam Ant; however, in actuality that is Peter Weller in his Buckaroo Banzai role.

I got lucky enough to get in on the LP 100 "Stupid Deal of the Day". Everyone seems to agree that the guitar is atleast worth the $199, no matter how you feel about basswood. What about the amp? Reviews seem to be pretty good, it seems to be surprizingly sweet for a $150 amp. Anyone have any personal experience with it?

How about drumming up some info on the LP Plus Top?

That things going for $549 now

MF has them for $549' date=' and, at least back in January, I ordered what I thought was to be a Standard plain top along with the goofy amp package, and I got the amp pack AND a Standard PLUS top.... for $499O:) (apparently they're still marketing it the same way

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-and-Amp-Pack?sku=513157 ) Dunno if it was a mistake, or the web site has it labeled wrong, but .... my shipping papers indicated a plus top, so they knew what they were sending me :-k I felt it was worth it...

CIMG1255-1-1.jpg

I got my LP 100 this past winter and am very pleased with it. I've has other guitars in the past, new and used Epis, fender$, Washburn, etc. I wanted to play it as is before making any mods. I have to say that I am very pleased with the "stock" quality as is. I needed to make some minor adjustments to the bridge, but nothing unexpected. I had originally thought that I would change the pickups as well, but I'm not in a hurry to do it now. Hadn't considered the nut, maybe I'll give it some thought......

I received my shipment last night of the LP-100 Stupid Deal. I wouldn't know one wood from another but the box says mahongany body with carved maple top. Quality seems real good to me but to be fair I'm not any kind of guitar expert at all so that doesn't mean a whole lot. The action is lower than I expected and there's no fret buzz or anything. The only obvious weak point I see is the tuners feel like they don't have enough friction in them. They feel like they turn too easy. Is there anyway to tighten that...or would they just need to be replaced with better ones?

Love that little valve junior. Honestly, I don't see how its possible to make and ship a guitar and amp like this all for $200. The box was huge and weighed 45 pounds. I'll also say its a miracle nothing was damaged the way it was packaged. The guitar was packed in the gig bag and just slid down the back side of the box with the (boxed) amp right next to it. If the box was ever lying on its back the amp would be lying right on top of the guitar, presumably with all the weight pressing on the top backside of the headstock. I thought sure the headstock would be snapped or the neck would be warped but I can see no bow in it at all.

tortuga I'm jealous. gotta wait until monday for mine!

You can do a bit of tightening at the screw on the end of the button. just get them all about the same feel.. not too tight.

All you're really doing is tightening the pressure on the washer.. but it feels more secure and sure.. esp. when you're in the middle of a tune and need to do it quick.

I've been very happy with epis fret work and nutwork.. the slot well.. they do a very good job of levelling.. about the only minor thing is polishing them up real shiny and that doesn't really last long anyway.

Do these come with Grovers? I dont' know if this model does or not..

This will be my third epi vj.. and by the way. another guy accused me of spamming. I have no epi dealership.. but I still brag about my guitars and heads while paying the same as you all..

those amps are very sweet out of the box.. not for everyone, but hardly a thing that can't be 'fixed' with a darn pedal and a little common sense.

Tweaked. they are monster.

In regard to the shipping. I think MF probably has some understanding with the shipper when it comes to odd shaped packages, or packages that seem under packed..

having them obviously more delicate combined with shipping a great many may very well get the extra care from ups they need.

I hope so.. mine isn't here yet!!!!

The guitar surely is worth the two hundred bucks.

the amp is worth the 150.00 for sure.. that means you paid 50.00 for a pretty killer little guitar.

Man, I need to be an epi dealer. *L*

How's the Vintage Sunburst look in person? If they had it when I had ordered mine, that's what I'd have gotten. I really like the HC Sunburst, but that Vintage sure looks purdy. I must say, I like the look of the LP without a pickguard much better. Any chances of someone posting a pic of one?

I have some coming on Tuesday (reseller) but Tortuga's LARGE pix are awesome! I'm keeping one package for myself. I play an AGILE LP right now and am hoping the LP100's are "fair". I have a VJ head with JJ Tubes & modded with the trio V-mods (Brite Switch, Gain Switch, and Standby) but wanna also keep the VJ Combo as it probably has a "different" sound being stock and perhaps newer (mine is 1st gen) also the 8" speaker will give me a different sound as I play my head through a 12" cab & a 10" cab - both homemade from old combo amps I gutted and made into speaker cabs. I'll be removing the pickguard too and probably replacing the tuners and pups eventually.

RSDx - that Ax looks schaweeeet!

It doesn't have much woodgrain. And in the case of the one I got the woodgrain has an "imperfection" in it. I would say maybe its a place that could have been caused by a dullish blade somewhere in the process. It's smooth but its like a light spot in the wood. Kind of like when you stain pine and it doesn't take the stain evenly.

Make no mistake, this would not be mistaken for a Gibson Les Paul and I'm sure if I had bought it from a store I could have picked out a prettier one out of any decent selection of LP-100s. But it seems to play alright to me and that's all I really care about it.

One thing I noticed...maybe someone can inform me on this. The high e-string intonation adjustment looks like its adjusted pretty much to its extreme end (towards the headstock end of the guitar)...like if it ever needs more adjustment that way there wouldn't be much left to go. Does this happen very often and if so how is it fixed. Can the nut be shimmed back a little further. I'm not really that worried about it for a $125 guitar but just curious about how all this stuff works.

Archived