Gibson Brands Forums

Tonight's Spinal Tap Moment

wedgeSG

My son is in a band that's forming. "Practice" takes place here. We all gotta start somewhere. Right now I'm sure he's learning more than I. But.... it sounds so Spinal Tap-esque. Changing the names to protect the "not-so-innocent", Bill on Drums! on lead guitar....Tom! and,.... Doug, on lead guitar! with....Steve!! on lead bass! and special guest Fred!! on lead rythem!! They were doing Metallica. Best I could tell... three Metallica selections simultaneously but Metallica none the Less. I don't know that they've chosen a name yet but during the cacophony one occured to me.... "Riff Meister and the Ludicrous Gainologists" Wedgie

My son is in a band that's forming. "Practice" takes place here. We all gotta start somewhere. Right now I'm sure he's learning more than I. But.... it sounds so Spinal Tap-esque. Changing the names to protect the "not-so-innocent"' date=' Bill on Drums! on lead guitar....Tom! and,.... Doug, on lead guitar! with....Steve!! on lead bass! and special guest Fred!! on lead rythem!! They were doing Metallica. Best I could tell... three Metallica selections simultaneously but Metallica none the Less. I don't know that they've chosen a name yet but during the cacophony one occured to me.... "Riff Meister and the Ludicrous Gainologists" Wedgie[/quote']

I do remember those days fondly.

In my buddy's basement.

no grounded electrical.

doing all the things we thought budding rock stars should be doing.

And not so much as a real clue.

Encourage them, coach them.

They may not think it is cool now.

But years from now they will look back on it and smile.

Ah Wedge, but what is Art? Probably sounds kickin' to them, let' em rock! Whenever I get together with the "boys", when we warm up, it'll be about 5 tunes compressed into one big noisy thing, then get down to business. The everyone-doing-lead thing sounds vaguely familiar to me, if I think waaaaaaaaaay back in my formative years, which are pretty blurry to me now, we did the same thing.

Brings back memories. The learning curve in a teenage band comes when you find out what kind of music people will pay you to play. That sudden realization comes when you try to book for college frat parties and such. Lots of people listen to metal, but if you can't dance to it, it won't get you booked. So, you go back and look at song selections with a new eye. The set list slowly changes and the money starts to come in. It's a learning process. You play what you enjoy on your own time and what people want to hear on theirs.

I remember back to my teenage band I was in, personally I was quite happy playing rhythm and being in the background, but it was decided I should sing. They were great times... but I'm not passed it yet, only 28, so occasionally meet up with mates and have a jamming session...

Brings back memories. The learning curve in a teenage band comes when you find out what kind of music people will pay you to play. That sudden realization comes when you try to book for college frat parties and such. Lots of people listen to metal' date=' but if you can't dance to it, it won't get you booked. So, you go back and look at song selections with a new eye. The set list slowly changes and the money starts to come in. It's a learning process. You play what you enjoy on your own time and what people want to hear on theirs.[/quote']

+1 there Dave. I played in 2 bands in high school.....A 3 piece rock & roll trainwreck of a band and a stage band with about a dozen horns that played (and murdered) everything from benny godman to chicago....guess who got more gigs.... Ahhhh the memories too much power and too little talent in one band and the other was my introduction to charts....you want to scare a high school guitar player...put a chart in front of him! Same drummer in both bands....I guess we were really flirtin' with disaster there.

i miss those days so much....

bryan adams "Summer of 69" sums it up so well...

fortunately for the bands i was in, we had an objective--- to be amazing.. to be ground breaking...... one band got pretty darn popular (recorded and released two independant CDs) we had about 3 or 4 bands around my area. we all knew each other( grew up playing with each other in other bands in highschool etc) and ironically every band was completely different.(one hard faster than fast speed punk band, one super amazing acid/pot based bluesish funk band, one wierd rock mixed with noise humorous lyrics band and our punk/ska band. we wanted to be rockstars, but only at out own rules....no one was willing to sell out or play what we were told... it was music for the music.

for your ears sake, i hope that the kids can sorta half play... but sometimes creativity can stem most when people dont know 'the rules" but hopefully, they arent just trying to emulate some other band.

Growing up in Macon, Ga was a trip. There were lots of great bands, partially due to being Capricorn Records home base. The Allman Brothers lived in Macon, as well as Wet Willie, and Sea Level and a host of other big names were constantly in town recording. There were a lot of teenage bands. One was the Celtics, the lead singer of which was Ronnie Hammond who later went to the Atlanta Rhythm Section. Our key board player left and toured with Wilson Pickett for a year. Marshall Tucker was frequently recording and there were free concerts by the ABB in Central City Park on Sunday afternoons. We didn't realize the southern rock heritage that we brushed elbows with.

All these guys stopped in at Bibb Music Center, the local Gibson, Fender, Peavy Dealer when they were in town and it wasn't a big deal to go in there and see a big name guitar player strumming on a new axe.

Archived