Gibson Brands Forums

Why do people do it

13yguitarman

O.K im a professional musician and i use really great sounding cheap gear because i know how to pick a guitar.

I usually goto this bar called Burbanks where this 45 year old guy buys these expensive guitars and plays around with them like they are little dummy toys. Oh and not to mention he can barely play worth a dime.

I went to guitar center i see him there buying an expensive gibson byrdland.

What im trying to say here is learn to play get some showmen ship then start buying better guitars

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some people just have to have the best tools, even if they don't know how to use them. Must be nice to have that kind of money. Wish I did. Then again, if he doesn't seem know anything about music, maybe money is the only quality assurance he has. Tell him my birthday is comming up.

I've been playing for 2o some years and I'm not the greatest myself. But I have a lot of fun doing it...sometimes it can be therapy after a crappy workday. On a good day I can sound like I know what I'm doing. I have some pretty nice guitars. I've worked hard for them. If I had some folks to jam with I'd sharpen up fast.

Just sayin' people will never do what makes sense to you,it would be nonsense to them... they aint you...

part of what makes life interesting ...and annoying.

So, is it the principal of what he's doing, or the dude himself that bugs you?

I may fit into the same catagory as the guy your talking about playing-wise, but I can assure you that if I had some of the gear he does, I'd be treating it with the respect it deserves.

Would that bother you too?

Sounds to me like it's more the guy, in which case the answer is simple. Knock him out and take his gear. :-({|=

I see your point but he may have a very large income and may have room for it. I know if I had the money I'd probably try and build my dream guitar and i've only been playin afew months. Little side note, I know alot of rich people and the majority of them arent assholes but the one's that are money seems to be blamed for it.

O.K im a professional musician and i use really great sounding cheap gear because i know how to pick a guitar.

I usually goto this bar called Burbanks where this 45 year old guy buys these expensive guitars and plays around with them like they are little dummy toys. Oh and not to mention he can barely play worth a dime.

What im trying to say here is learn to play get some showmen ship then start buying better guitars

Huh?? Did I miss something? When did you become a professional musician? And when did they start letting 13 year old boys in bars? Are you sure it was just your arm that got broken?

I know a guy who is an o.k. player at best who runs about $15k worth of gear just to play worship at church on Sunday a.m. Honestly, these folks have every right in the world to buy expensive gear if that's what they can afford and that's what makes them happy.

Where I have a problem with them is when they think the good gear means they are good players. I've run into a few of those. Kudos on that fine gear but don't throw it around like it reveals more than your bank account. I also don't believe there is nobility in playing the cheapest gear possible simply because you can make it sound good.

Play the gear you like and that you can pay for. Don't throw attitude around in any form. Let your playing and your tone do the talking. If a player can't do that, I question how secure they are with their own playing.

So you think people should pass some sort of practical exam before being allowed to own a better guitar than you?

You have much to learn about life young grasshopper.

Hey, aren't you the young kid who blew this forum and everyone on it for that LesPaul forum? :-k

thats what i do. and im not really complaining id just like to know why people do that. And i became a professional when i get paid for playing at gigs regularly with my band

Well I admire your attitude...but you are a pro when you can pay your mortgage playing guitar=d>

Been trying for 25 years and my playing is still crap.

One thing I found out. Good equipment helps! It will never make up for lack of talent, but it keeps it interesting enough(for me) to continue playing.

Be glad you don't need the fancy expensive stuff. Next time just give him a friendly nod, and continue to play rings round him.

GET OVER IT! There will always be guys with more money than talent....the class thing to do is to become an excellent player who can pick up a $200 POS and smoke the guy who tries to buy ability with expensive guitars!!!

Exactly right. As far as classifying a professional musician when they get paid for a gig. My father and his band have been together and earning $1000-$1500 for gig and they don't consider themselves pros. may want to rethink that.

yeah' date=' especially since that would mean the dude i see on the sidewalk outside of every red sox game i go to is pro (he does the whole hat-on-the-ground thing)[/quote']

That Means this city is full of Professionals?

like the guys that play Pan flute in Harvard Square?

or the cats that play 5Gal. buckets in the T station?

if thats Pro.

I am a Supah Stah Khed....

LOL

*edit*

Not to mention the 500+ bands in and around Allston at any given time of the year.

Lets say im a millionaire, and i buy a ferarri, are you telling me that I shouldnt buy the ferarri because im not the greatest driver? or know how to handle stick well? its the same rationalle here..

I also sense a little bit of the jealousy bug here :-

and besides how do we even know he sucks at guitar? thats such a subjective thing, maybe clapton shouldnt be allowed to play strats cause he sucks at the blues.

Archived