Gibson Brands Forums

Buckethead les paul

shmigit

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

was that a great showing of talent-yep

but it was the most aweful' date=' lousy, feeling-less example of shred ive watched today?

-yep[/quote']

+1 to the MAX.

Dude has chops, and as I haven't heard as much of his material and examples of his abilities as the fanboys, the solo in that video is just plain awful. Period.

that was out of his realm , he is a shredder not a bluesman.

I'm not a big fan ,but to all the younger posters.... he made his mark long before G-N-R.

I was always suprised that Axl would pick a shredder to replace slash. not a good combo

• 4 weeks later...

I found this on the bucketheadland forum;

"Hey Bots

I was at the Rock Hall of Fame in Cleveland last night for the Les Paul tribute featuring Henry Jeskowitz (sp?) who is the CEO of Gibson USA, and Ace Frehley. During the Q+A, someone asked Henry what the qualifications were for someone to get their own signature model guitar. In a nutshell, he said that most importantly, the guitarst has to be well respected by other guitarists, not necessarily rich, famous, sell lots of records, etc. He said that the next person that is in the works to come out with a Gibson sig is none other than Big B.

So there you have it. It came from the horses mouth - the CEO of Gibson. He gave no other details (release date, etc). Thought y'all would want to know.

So I guess the guy who posted here a few weeks ago about seeing B at Gibson in Nashville wasn't kidding, huh?

Cheers! Steve-O"

I hope it's true, I would buy 2 of them. And no I'm not a kid who was intruduced to Bucket through 'Jordan'. To the haters that can't get past the image, music is an aural art form - always has and always will be. It's your loss if you can't appreciate some of the greatest music of this era because the guy doesn't look like a stereotypical chick-pulling drug-using rock god.

Really?

This guy doesn't deserve a signature les paul because he wears a bucket on his head?

Let's think... Do you need eyes to hear music? NO. Then the bucket and mask don't really affect how well he can play, which should be the reason he is getting a signature guitar of his own. If you guys aren't mature enough to look past the bucket and the mask, that's too bad for you. You are missing out on some of the best music created in a while. I don't think he wears the bucket and the mask to be funny, but to be honest nobody really knows why. He wants people to appreciate him for his music and not what he looks like. And, as a Buckethead fan, I've really stopped asking questions about it.

And to those of you who say all his playing is shred, you probably only heard his little guitar hero song.

Check out Electric Tears, Colma, or Acoustic Shards. Sometimes I wonder how he can put so much feeling into a song.

Please, before you go off bashing other guitar players, at least listen to more than 3 of their songs. I have heard him play country, rock, ambience music, blues, funk, and of course metal. It isn't all shred.

Also, it's a shame how many players have even gone so far as comparing which guitarist is best? Really? Each player has his own style and each person will like different stuff, so really there is no contest there. I can say, oh yeah slash is pretty good. even though I'm a Buckethead fan. Just because your a big slash fan doesn't mean everything else SUCKS.

Now, if you can stop thinking everyone except slash sucks, please watch these videos.

Padmasana

Look, mo's...

Let me enlighten you. It's the entertainment business. Folks do what they have to in order to get "noticed", make the headlines and get the killer deal. THAT is a fact. It's why rockers dress and act the way they do... it's an expected behavior for their occupation. If you don't get that, that's cool. It's meant to be transparent to the masses.

But... I noticed how Eric Clapton never put a bucket on his head. Neither did Jimi Hendrix, or Jimi Page, or Stevie Ray Vaughn... or Ed Van Halen, or Herman Li, or Alexi Laiho, or Slash (ok... perhaps the Top Hat does qualify =P~ ), Nor did Chet Atkins, Brad Paisley, Jerry Reed... I'll bet Django never had to don fast food attire....

My entire point is that THESE guys somehow made it as world reknown guitarists without the gimmickry of a Buckethead or GWAR... they made it based SOLELY on their guitar skills. So you gotta ask yourself... would we he be who he is in the world of music today without the bucket, or is that what got him where he is.... 'cuz he was willing to put a chicken bucket on his head to get noticed?.

So far, though, I have seen a bunch of petulant whining from Buckethead fans, but no one has been able to address this issue. Not dissing his skills as a guitarist.... I'm just pointing out that he didn't rely on them to get noticed.

I don't think he did it to get noticed either.

I remember him saying something about the bucket. Like his dad went and got some chicken and he put the bucket on his hea and said he liked it.

You can honestly say the bucket is what he NEEDED to get noticed?

I don't think so. Sure maybe it helped, but I don't think that was his plan.

I don't think he did it to get noticed either.

I remember him saying something about the bucket. Like his dad went and got some chicken and he put the bucket on his hea and said he liked it.

You can honestly say the bucket is what he NEEDED to get noticed?

I don't think so. Sure maybe it helped' date=' but I don't think that was his plan.[/quote']

Ask yourself this... was he a widely recognized, accomplished guitarist in his own right prior to donning the bucket?

(HINT: Was he known as a highly sought after guitarist by his real name prior to "Buckethead"?)

I think not. Don't get me wrong... if stuffing a rubber chicken up my butt will get me a record deal with Sony, some one hand me the Kentucky jelly.... but when it comes to defining upper echelon guitarists, I tend to elevate those in the "needed no other gimmicry" category above the "had to dress like women or wear fast food items" crowd.

gibson wouldnt make a guitar for him... you know when one buys (or thinks about) a JP Les Paul' date=' or a ZW Les Paul one thinks about that signature tone heard on many CDs and live shows... but if you say "bucketwho" (ok, i know he is buckethead), then you think... "...hm... chinese democracy, i wonder if that sh¡t will ever come out..."

(i know he has solo material but lets face it, he got the little spotlight he did (if any) because he was in the "new" GnR lineup...[/quote']

+1000 You got that right, jack

Look' date=' mo's...

Let me enlighten you. It's the entertainment business. Folks do what they have to in order to get "noticed", make the headlines and get the killer deal. THAT is a fact. It's why rockers dress and act the way they do... it's an expected behavior for their occupation. If you don't get that, that's cool. It's meant to be transparent to the masses.

But... I noticed how Eric Clapton never put a bucket on his head. Neither did Jimi Hendrix, or Jimi Page, or Stevie Ray Vaughn... or Ed Van Halen, or Herman Li, or Alexi Laiho, or Slash (ok... perhaps the Top Hat does qualify 8-[ ), Nor did Chet Atkins, Brad Paisley, Jerry Reed... I'll bet Django never had to don fast food attire....

My entire point is that THESE guys somehow made it as world reknown guitarists without the gimmickry of a Buckethead or GWAR... they made it based SOLELY on their guitar skills. So you gotta ask yourself... would we he be who he is in the world of music today without the bucket, or is that what got him where he is.... 'cuz he was willing to put a chicken bucket on his head to get noticed?.

So far, though, I have seen a bunch of petulant whining from Buckethead fans, but no one has been able to address this issue. Not dissing his skills as a guitarist.... I'm just pointing out that he didn't rely on them to get noticed.[/quote']

Did it ever cross your mind that Bucket does not want a 'killer' deal? Ozzy asked him to be lead guitarist on the condition that he take the bucket off. Buckethead refused. Don't you think if he wanted headlines and major stardom that he would have removed the bucket? Do you guys really need someone to be mainstream in order to appreciate their music? The guy doesn't want to be a rock god, simple as that. But that doesn't mean he's any less of a musician.

Buckethead and all his shredding brethren are lame

Musical 100000 note per second masrurbation does not impress me and it doesn't sound good.

And didn't I hear that he wore the bucket/mask and talk with an F-ing puppet because he is shy?

What a baby

If you think Buckethead only shreds at 100000nps then you're just F-ing ignorant.

Hmm...

This is all good fun I've listened to Buckethead and own a few of his CD's and he's fast no doubt about it but there's always going to be someone faster there always is,when I think about guitars on the other hand the Gibson Les Paul is the only choice but when I think about Les Paul guitars I don't think about Jimmy Page Buckethead or Zack Wylde and when I've bought a Les Paul I've bought it to play for myself I don't want a bulls eye on my guitar or a kill switch or otherwise because I'm not Buckethead nor am I Zack Wylde.

If those guys want a Gibson they can buy their own is the way I look at it,and they can have what ever they want added to it the problem I have with Buckethead is the fact that most of his CD's has a grand total three to six minutes of music on them and the rest is sound bites of rap artist talking about Buckethead land?

You don't need a signature guitar if your not the artist that its modeled after,but for my money the fellow who's name is on the guitar were talking about would give all of these runts a run for their money with little effort and without all the pedals and effects,and wouldn't even brake a sweat doing it :-)

Hmm...

This is all good fun I've listened to Buckethead and own a few of his CD's and he's fast no doubt about it but there's always going to be someone faster there always is' date='when I think about guitars on the other hand the Gibson Les Paul is the only choice but when I think about Les Paul guitars I don't think about Jimmy Page Buckethead or Zack Wylde and when I've bought a Les Paul I've bought it to play for myself I don't want a bulls eye on my guitar or a kill switch or otherwise because I'm not Buckethead nor am I Zack Wylde.

If those guys want a Gibson they can buy their own is the way I look at it,and they can have what ever they want added to it the problem I have with Buckethead is the fact that most of his CD's has a grand total three to six minutes of music on them and the rest is sound bites of rap artist talking about Buckethead land?

You don't need a signature guitar if your not the artist that its modeled after,but for my money the fellow who's name is on the guitar were talking about would give all of these runts a run for their money with little effort and without all the pedals and effects,and wouldn't even brake a sweat doing it :-) [/quote']

+10

Welcome to the forum.

buckethead can kiss my a#@. He has no technical abilities at all. He's too concerned with trying to be this wierd dude when he should be concentrating on his skills ie: during the recording of chinese democracy, which has taken well over 5 years to produce, he insisted on playing alone in a man made chicken coop above the studio. He did not even permit the cleaning staff to enter to clean. He landed up leaving the project early because he's f!cked up. Instead of naming a guitar after him Gibson should ban him from using thier axes.

Archived