Gibson Brands Forums

What should i do to keep my new les paul looking good?

Icon

Keep it looked up in its case! All kidding aside just try and not worry too much about it as black guitars are prone to showing of their flaws. I wipe my guitars down with a lint free cloth, usually the Fender ones as I have a couple of the Fender cleaning kits and once in awhile I'll use the solution as well. A dry cloth after each use will keep her looking good/

I've got a black one as well. And yes, black shows off every flaw, scratch etc.

Just use a cleaning cloth for it. They cost like $2 at most guitar shops.

And some cleaning solution (about $8 or so) would be good now and then.

I clean mine after almost every time I play it. Most of the time I just use the cloth without the solution.

There is also this : http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Body-and-Fingerboard-Cleaning-Kit?sku=425277

Never used it myself so I can't really vouch for its quality/effectiveness, but I do know that a local guitar shop uses it.

I've been playing for forty years and I swear by soft cotton cloths, similar to t-shirts but any soft cloth will do and long as it's soft..... I wipe the neck and fretboard off after every use and the entire guitar every other time or so.

I will say though, that I've always been much more concerned with the way a guitar plays that the way it looks within reason. While I'm careful with my guitars, if you really play the things, they will get some bumps and bruises. It just adds character.

See Propero's thread about smashing guitars on stage and don't do that...

Oooo! "Somebody's" playing Devil's Advocate here. :-

Now what about Smashing Pumpkins.?

Of course "Black Guitars always look better in the shade!"

...uh-oh! now I'll probably get a call from Gino Vanelli's lawyer.

In addition to wiping down after playing, polish the body and condition the frets with every string change (depending on how often you do it - I change mine every 6-8 weeks, but I know some people who do it once a week).

Otherwise, never use it in a chair with hard armrests (or be careful if you do), always keep it on a stand, always use it with your shirt untucked to protect it from your belt, never use it while wearing a shirt with metal buttons, etc. You know, common sense stuff.

The microfiber cloths can do wonders without any chemicals.

I got mine from my wife, she bought a 10-pack of them for 50 cents apiece from the local supermarket (located right next to the toilet brushes etc) :-

I've never used any polish, but the girls still look okay to me..

black_pair.jpg

Archived