Gibson Brands Forums

Todays MF Deal

layboomo

This is the guitar I asked about in a previous post...and yes it seems like a good deal...My problem is...I can't find any info on it from the Gibson website....they don't list this as an optional color...and I like it, but my wife likes the worn brown.

Well, I know I'm not in the norm here or at the gibson forum, but I actually like the sound of the faded SG's with the 490 pickups better than the popular 498 pickups....I was listening to direct comparisons on you tube and the faded SG's sound more like the older ones to me...I.E. a little brighter with a little less power and not such a muted tone like the standard at the same amp settings....to me they sound like they are what I remember an SG should...that said, I haven't acctually played one. And for the finish, I am not really into shiny objects. I like worn guitars anyway.

I would guess its just a few in this color that they are blowing out...again not a great guitar but for $599 not a bad deal. I almost bought one to hot rod. Edit I did just buy one to hotrod....so we'll see?

That's what I thought about the exclusive for MF SG Junior, but its turned into my favorite, the one I worry might get lonely if I play around with other guitars. I had it plekked, and its got a compensated nut. For me, that's almost no mods at all!

Hope your new purchase is every bit as much a soul-grabber as mine was back in the day...and besides, you could always have it painted as a "Fool"

Well I look at it this way....they are low end Gibson's and the thin finish makes for a resonant guitar on the plus side....on the down side it's a 3 piece guitar with some OK fit and finish work....I can improve on that alot. Would I pay list? NO......was $699 a good deal... Yes.....is $599 a good deal for a potentially nice modded SG....I hope so! I'll decide how far to take it when it arrives. BTW I'll most likely gut it....so if you like those PUP's oldpriest I may have a set for you at a very reasonable price. I already have a few sets of other humbuckers available for this one. This was the last SG I hotrodded and it was an absolute killer!Guitars009-1.jpg Truth be told I've never been a huge SG guy...but I have had a few nice ones...but lets not go there...never should have sold some of em!

I may take you up on the pup's...by the way' date=' was that a standart faded special when you bought it or did it have p90's in it before? Never mind I see the pickguard is from a standard.....Looks great![/quote']

Actually it was a 72 SG special with the black mini humbuckers and black plastic bezels. The pickups were lousy...really microphonic and the original rings were very tall so the action was set quite high and one of the reasons I got the guitar cheap. I but a nice set of duncans in it with firebird trim rings and lowered the action ALOT! A little trim to the pickguard and it became a KILLER player. Sold the original pickups and knobs for 1/3 of what I paid for the guitar as well! I decided to make a Great player out of it and that it was! Stock it would have been worth a little more,but it played like crap.

That's the big reason I did not pull the trigger on the Faded because I hear too often that they need alot of work to make them what they should be and I am still in the learning process when it comes to fret work and such...but I have decided that I am not too old to learn am going to buy tools for the job and practice on the cheap guitars I have now before putting out more money on something and ruining it.

I have a faded cherry. Great project guitars.

40f9ac38.jpg

I picked it up when my local GC had em on sale for $459 about 5 years back. Worked a great deal on an SKB case too. I examined about six of them before I picked this one. It had the best board and frets. When I played it in the store, I didn't even plug it in. When I got it home, the pickups floored me. The open coil 490s sound like a very airy 57 Classic. Perfect pickup for the SG imo. Like a fool, I put in SDs, a 59 in the neck, and coil tapped a JB in the bridge. Sounds great, but not that much of a worth the effort better. The 490T has found a home in my LP Special project guitar. These are great pickups. Here's the best mod for an SG:

8dae0347.jpg

Schaller STM roller bearing bridge. These are great and easy to install. If you have a modern SG with a Nashville bridge, you've got to try one of these. They are super.

I have a faded cherry. Great project guitars.

40f9ac38.jpg

I picked it up when my local GC had em on sale for $459 about 5 years back. Worked a great deal on an SKB case too. I examined about six of them before I picked this one. It had the best board and frets. When I played it in the store' date=' I didn't even plug it in. When I got it home, the pickups floored me. The open coil 490s sound like a very airy 57 Classic. Perfect pickup for the SG imo. Like a fool, I put in SDs, a 59 in the neck, and coil tapped a JB in the bridge. Sounds great, but not that much of a worth the effort better. The 490T has found a home in my LP Special project guitar. These are great pickups. Here's the best mod for an SG:

[img']http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/Bakz/SGFH/8dae0347.jpg[/img]

Schaller STM roller bearing bridge. These are great and easy to install. If you have a modern SG with a Nashville bridge, you've got to try one of these. They are super.

I just put a roller type bridge on another project guitar and Man are they easy to dial in! =D> I like it alot. Looks like you changed the tuners too? I'm not too familiar with the stock pickups but sounds like I should really try em out for a while before changing them.

So I got the guitar yesterday.....not bad really for what it is. I was actually a bit surprised at the fret finish work on mine.... better than most in this line that I've played. I don't know what the difference is between what they call worn and faded,but the 2 faded finish guitars that I tried had really crappy fret finish work. I guess I lucked out because mine was much better? The factory setup was a complete Joke as expected. Why do they even imply that they "set-up" the guitars before shipping. The reality is they set the bridge height,make sure nothing frets out and stuff em in a box.....I took one look at the bridge saddles and said yeah right! The intonation was a mile off....a few minutes with a screw driver and the Conn stobe tuner fixed that. It plays very well and the worn finish thing kinda grows on you...at least me. The neck is a bit on the chunky side for my tastes..but all in all not a bad deal for $599. I may drop a set of mini-hums in it for yucks? Haven't decided yet. I think I would recommend this for a giging bar guitar......plays well,sounds good and battle scars would only add to the vibe!

• 2 weeks later...

Well here is the new look on the cheapie faded yellow Gibson SG......I missed my 72 with the mini-hums so I had WD make me the creme guard and I think it looks pretty good? It sounds really nice....still tweakin a bit.DSC00094.jpg

Archived