Gibson Brands Forums

Epi LP standard vs. custom

khoysagk

Alright after the whole Ultra II question has been cleared up here is my next question. What's the difference between the LP standard and the custom? All I could find are cosmetics, like gold vs. chrome and different inlay. According to Epi's website everything else is the same. That can't make for a $200 difference. The more research I do the more confused I get, lol.

Hey khoysagk ,

Haven't you noticed? the shinier and more sparkle something has the more it cost! go try buying your girlfriend/wife a diamond...the more it shines and twinkles the more it cost...lol

My Les Paul studio has almost the same set up as the standard..just without the fancy binding and inlays and it cost a lot less than the standard and to me it plays and sounds just as good..maybe even a bit more bite due to the open humbuckers.

Just my opinion tho.

Capt

well, I do like the gold hardware better. So I can buy a standard and then just add the gold hardware. Now where could I get that???

Also, here is a review of the custom and when you look joe516's comment (3rd one), he said the custom plays better than the standard, which I can't really imagine.

The Custom indeed has more bling - nicer binding and block inlays, binding and diamond inlay in the headstock plus the gold hardware. Other than that, if you A/B a Custom and a Standard from the same year/month and same factory, they should be quite the same.

If you don't care about the looks, the Standard is just as good. On the other hand, if you just gotta have a Custom you have to pay the extra.

I got mine (Ltd. Ed. with chrome hardware) for a price of a new plain-top Standard, had to have it because my first LP was a '70s Japanese copy of the LP Custom ... :)

I tried 3 guitars before i got mine ;

Slash LP Std plud top: Nice tone but Didnt like due to thick neck

LP Std plus top In Honeyburst: Sounded lovely played fast and looked amazing with flame top

LP Custom Alpine White: Sounded lovely and looked nice, found the neck little sticky, Bit to chavy for me.

Never noticed a difference in sound between the custom and std (Not to my ear anyway) just looks really. Have heard the gold does wear off quite easily if not carefull (clothes rubbing on it and stuff) so think if you buying for looks cos they might not last for ever.

Im more than happy with my Std Top. Best guitar i own so far!

From what I understand' date=' the Custom has a all mahogany body, whereas the Standard has a mahogany body with a Flamed Maple top. Other than that, its pure cosmetic.....[/quote']

Well, since the Standard actually has a cap that is just a thin maple veneer over more 'mahogany', there's no real difference there. Most likely the Custom has a plain maple veneer too; maple is easier to finish than 'mahogany'.

I've noticed a lot of Customs with really nice slim necks. Don't know if it's coincidence or if they put a little more effort into the shaping on the Custom.

And yes, all that bling costs quite a bit more $$$. Just imagine all the extra work that goes into the headstock.

Well' date=' since the Standard actually has a cap that is just a thin maple veneer over more 'mahogany', there's no real difference there. Most likely the Custom has a plain maple veneer too; maple is easier to finish than 'mahogany'.

I've noticed a lot of Customs with really nice slim necks. Don't know if it's coincidence or if they put a little more effort into the shaping on the Custom.

And yes, all that bling costs quite a bit more $$$. Just imagine all the extra work that goes into the headstock.[/quote']

In the Epiphone line of Les Paul I haven't heard that much of a difference in sound between a Standard and a

Custom, because virtually as many have said, the woods are similar and the rest is cosmetic. However, in the Gibson

models I have found a difference in the sound as the Gibson LP Custom has an Ebony fingerboard as opposed

to Rosewood as on the Gibson Standard and all the Epiphone LP's. It also gives the fingerboard a different feel because Ebony is a harder, denser wood than Rosewood is.

Don't know about weight or tone diffences in the Epi's, but I have Gibson Standards and Customs, and a few things come to mind.

In my case, the Standard, is quite a bit lighter in weight, to the Custom. The Custom is "Smoother" (some might say "warmer?") in tone, and the Standard has more "bite," somewhat due, to the maple cap. The Custom's neck is thinner depth, but (slightly) wider, in width...and of course it has the harder Ebony fingerboard, which feels different. MY Standard has a '60's style neck, so it's really comfortable (for me), but not as thin as the Custom. The Custom, because of it's weight, demands a Neoprene Bass strap, otherwise, after a 3 or 4 set gig, you'll need to consult a Chiropractor!

"Bling" factor=Custom...no doubt! But, I love my Standard, just as much...and, play both, equally. I also have a '76 LP

Deluxe, that falls right in-between the Standard and Custom, weight and tone. The mini-humbuckers on it, are quite

lively, with good "Bite," and smooth mid-bass response. They are, however, getting a bit "mircophonic," so...until

I get that corrected, it doesn't get played, nearly as much, as the others.

Anyway, hope this didn't confuse you, even more?

CB

Archived