Gibson Brands Forums

Ahhh I am getting too deep!!!

aphawki

Ok I think I might be getting way over my noob head! Here is what I am wanting to know, I have a Epi Les Paul Classic and using a Line 6 Spider 15 (Just a little guy...but it's fun). I am trying to get more of the whiny sound out of the guitar and amp on higher pitched notes...not sure if I am explaining that right. Either way I was looking at overdrive pedals...question being, can I use that with the gear that I already have...and what is the purpose of the overdrive pedal?

Sorry if I have this nowhere near where it needs to be, was going to put this on another forum...but I seem to get way more accurate answers here! By the way was looking at the MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive Pedal.

I'm not big on pedals but I'll try to answer your question as best I that I can. You can use any pedals you want with that amp. You can even string multiple distortion pedals together. As for what an overdrive pedal does- it overdrives the preamp section of you amp. Of the ones that I've tried, I liked the Blues Driver the best because I could get the most variety of sounds from it for my playing style. You might prefer a totally different pedal so I'd suggest going to your music store and playing through the different pedals until you find the one that's right for you.

I don't know about the MXR Zakk Wylde pedal but I've been using the same MXR Phase 90 for I'll guess... 4 years now, so they do hold up pretty well.

I have to agree, go to your local store and play through a lot of different pedals, then go home and try again another day. Pedals sound different for each guitar/amp/person obviously.

My MXR Phase 90 and Distortion + pedals are over 30 years old and still work well. I rarely use them anymore but they are very reliable.

I have to agree' date=' go to your local store and play through a lot of different pedals, then go home and try again another day. Pedals sound different for each guitar/amp/person obviously.

My MXR Phase 90 and Distortion + pedals are over 30 years old and still work well. I rarely use them anymore but they are very reliable.[/quote']

I still got my Distortion+ I bought WAAAAAAAAAY back in...1974 or 5, something like that, and it still works great!

That's awesome guys, I will try stopping by the store and taking a look. Those answers helped quite a bit, the problem that I have is when I go to the guitar store...the whole going home and going back another day thing just hasn't worked out very well...:-/ But hey....if you guys say so....then I suppose I better give that a whirl!

Thanks again for the help!

using a Line 6 Spider 15 ...question being' date=' can I use that with the gear that I already have...and what is the purpose of the overdrive pedal?[/quote']

Of course you can use an OD with you're gear if you want. To me an O/D pedals primary purpose is to push an amp over the edge...best results IMO with tube amps. Whenever I plug an O/D pedal in front of a SS amp I'm just amplifying the pedal just for a change of tone and nothing more.

BTW....is this the amp you are talking about?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-III-15-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482276

If it is it seems to already have some O/Ds and effects on it.

Anyhow definitely do the "demo thing" as already suggested if you're set on getting one, but I'd try some more tweaking of what you already have. Also, and again only if you feel you need one, but I think I'd be looking at distortion pedals with that amp instead just an O/D pedal to get the sound I think you are talking about.....just IMO of course.

Also I think I'd be looking at distortion pedals with that amp instead just an O/D pedal to get the sound I think you are talking about.....just IMO of course.

Yeah that is the amp. It has a bunch of different stuff on it...so the drive dial must be the overdrive...(again noob please keep that in mind..lol), yeah I just want some other sounds with it or at least more control over them. Maybe the key would be to look more towards like a wah pedal to change up the existing sounds that I already have on the amp.

At first I too thought he might have meant pinched harmonics also. Until I read where he is just refering to the higher frets...or higher pitched notes as he puts it. Anyhow that's the way I interpreted it.

Pinched harmonics is ALL 100 % technique, granted pedals might augment it easier, but you can do pinched harmonics on an unplugged acoustic all over the finger board....never mind on an electric or amplified one, much easier. Also much easier too on the higher frets....again if this is what he is referring to.

Nobody here was born knowing all this, we all had to learn...and still learning. So please don't take this in any way as being disrespectful, but IMO I think you need to spend more time learning than shopping. That amp you have has allot of on board effects that should get you just about the same as individual pedals.

Granted on board effects leave allot to be desired, I personally don't care for non, but IMO adding more pedals to that practice amp is just adding more of a similar thing.

Again no disrespect intended.

I am trying to get more of the whiny sound out of the guitar and amp on higher pitched notes.

I was looking at overdrive pedals...question being' date=' can I use that with the gear that I already have...and what is the purpose of the overdrive pedal?

[/quote']

My guess is you want to work on your vibrato. Can you give an example of a guitarist that uses this whiny sound?

The crunch setting on the Line 6 is what an overdrive sounds like.

I'm guessing he might be referring to more sustain also Ricochet....with some feedback maybe? The way I get mine is vibrato as Ricochet states and volume...tube amp helps.

IMO might try a compressor/sutain pedal with that amp if that's the case. Although to much of that pedal will also add a bunch of noise.

LOL....the suspense is killing me.

Nobody here was born knowing all this' date=' we all had to learn...and still learning. So please don't take this in any way as being disrespectful, but IMO I think you need to spend more time learning than shopping. That amp you have has allot of on board effects that should get you just about the same as individual pedals.

[/quote']

No disrespect taken at all!!! This is the kind of stuff that I want to know and am trying to learn! Oh yeah and sorry for the delay. Ok I was thinking more like in the new Ozzy song "I don't wanna stop" (see www.zakkwylde.com lol) pretty much right off the bad and then in the chorus right after he says " I don't wannt stop" there is that squeal there. That's the one....oh yeah and sorry for the very very slow response here!!! I was shopping...which by the way rafael... you do have a point I need to stop that, I ended up buying a wah pedal just cause I liked what it does. (Sorry had to buy something...lol)

I will look at the pinch harmonics and let you know if that is the sound I am talking about....thanks everyone for all of the help!!!!

Are you talking about more of a "squealy" kind of sound? That's pinch harmonics..

Here's a demonstration...

Yeah that! Ok cool, it's hard to find stuff out there if you aren't using the right words to find it....I guess looking up "squealy zakk wylde playing on guitar with no lessons...." and stuff like that just won't find Pinch Harmonics...odd.

I would have sworn that aphawki was trying to get that little line6 to howl like a Fender Showman having sex with a Marshall Plexi. I'd have never thunk in a million years that he was lookin' to cop Willie G's pinch tones.

Learn how to play pinch harmonics, it's not difficult at all. Then learn how to use them wisely... or you'll get listener burnout.

I would have sworn that aphawki was trying to get that little line6 to howl like a Fender Showman having sex with a Marshall Plexi.

LOL! Well....actually....I am just trying to get the guitar to play mary had a little lamb with a little bit more bite! (That's a bit more my speed)

Wail that Mary and make 'er squeal... Now that you know how...

Now , now Lerxst, that's starting to sound like a little deliverance action.........Seriously aphawki, you can't get the guitar to play anything, you have to learn. keep practicing bro !

Now ' date=' now Lerxst, that's starting to sound like a little deliverance action.........Seriously aphawki, you can't get the guitar to play anything, you have to learn. keep practicing bro ![/quote']

Ha ha that's good stuff. Yeah I know, I think I am just wanting to be a few years farther than I already am...but hey what do you do?! Thanks for all the info everyone, much appreciated.

Ha ha that's good stuff. Yeah I know' date=' I think I am just wanting to be a few years farther than I already am...but hey what do you do?! Thanks for all the info everyone, much appreciated.[/quote']

I think for most of us, we too want to be further along/better, what ever. IMHO, you have to be satisfied enough to enjoy what you're doing with a somewhat of a drive to always improve !

IMHO' date=' you have to be satisfied enough to enjoy what you're doing with a somewhat of a drive to always improve ![/quote']

Oh yeah I agree with what you are saying. I just have drive and motivation issues, believe it or not....the guitar actually makes me slow down and relax...it's pretty cool.

There are several pinch harmonics lessons on YouTube that show you how to create a squeal. You need some overdrive distortion to do the Zak thing as well as some experimentation with the right hand along the strings. You need to find the sweet spot over the pickup to match the left hand position on the neck to maximize the harmonic.

Now, I thought that Zakk Wylde uses that cheap yellow Boss OD pedal. The SD-1, if I remember right? I've got it and the cheap orange Boss Distortion Pedal (DS-1?) and get their designations mixed up, 'cuz they're so similar.

At any rate, I think that yellow one is great for pushing tubes into lead or whatever.

Glad to hear, though, that the original poster is gettin' more learnin' than gear. Good choice on getting a wah pedal, though. That'll give you something new to learn also!

Archived