Gibson Brands Forums

Why relic?

TheX

I don't get it. I love how a truly aged Gibby looks. Nitro ages well, not so much a modern Epi because the poly just seems to get damage, not maturity.

Why are people paying such huge prices for Custom Shop Relics, or spending the time to do a nice Reranch nitro job just to beat it up? Muriatic acid to age the nickle and suddenly BLAM...you're a rock star...

wo0t

If I want an aged guitar, I'd much rather do it myself, instead of some guy named Tom doing it for me, ya know, like Hooper and Quint trading horror stories how the got all their scars, "welp, this here was from some drunken fool bumpin' into the mic stand, knockin' it over on top 'o the peghead"...that kinda thing.

I don't get it. I love how a truly aged Gibby looks. ...

Why are people paying such huge prices for Custom Shop Relics' date=' ... [/quote']

Well, you just said it yourself.

Aged Gibsons look and feel wonderful. If you can't have or afford a real '59 it's better than nothing, right?

I myself would be OK with the checked nitro finish and dull hardware but I wouldn't care much for dings, cracks and chipped headstocks...

Shiny Epiphone poly finishes are nice when they are new and polished, add some wear and dings and they start to look like .. well .. a poly with scratches. I feel like I should try what the finish would look like if you dulled it with a kettle sponge and polished it again. Gotta go buy some polish.

The Custom Shop stuff may *look like* the real thing but it's not. People obviously have the right to buy what they like but I also have the right to think it's odd. That and the fact that the price goes up because someone bat the crap out of it...*shrugs*

I don't get it. I love how a truly aged Gibby looks. Nitro ages well' date=' not so much a modern Epi because the poly just seems to get damage, not maturity.

Why are people paying such huge prices for Custom Shop Relics, or spending the time to do a nice Reranch nitro job just to beat it up? Muriatic acid to age the nickle and suddenly BLAM...you're a rock star...

wo0t[/quote']

I have asked this very question, since this "marketing ploy" began....

A contrived (and somewhat clever...knowing the psychology of human beings),

ploy, to relieve you of MORE of your hard earned money, than they already do,

normally.

It's just to make you believe it has some "mojo" that only REAL use,

or YOUR guitar, over the years, will ever produce, if indeed...at all!

But, if this answer remains "posted" it will surprise even me. LOL!

CB

I agree. Only truly aged guitars are kool imo.

The best Epiphones will one day look aged like the old the Gibsons do, there is only one thing preventing that - people don't take care of old Epis because they have not high status - if we take care of the best epis, they will one day look vintage rather that damaged...

Unfortunately, Atomheart, the Epi's will not age as the Gibsons do, no matter how well they are cared for. It is the finish that causes the aging on a Gibson. You won't find checking on an Epi in 40 years, nor will you wear the finish off the back of the neck. It's a much harder, and more durable finish.

I don't get the relicing thing, either... If I spend a lot of money on a brand new guitar, I want it to look all shiny and brandy new and beautiful... There's something that seems artificial or disingenuous about a "relic'd" guitar... And the whole process has been elevated to almost an art form.. I realize they don't just whack it with a bag of hot nickels and scrub it with steel wool... There is a technique and a certain degree of skill required to make it look convincing.. But, I dunno.. I think of it as more of a fad than anything else.

Unfortunately' date=' Atomheart, the Epi's will not age as the Gibsons do, no matter how well they are cared for. It is the finish that causes the aging on a Gibson. You won't find checking on an Epi in 40 years, nor will you wear the finish off the back of the neck. It's a much harder, and more durable finish.

[/quote']

Yeah, thats true.

I had a Gibson Les Paul Std 1978 for many years. Bought it as new in the mid 80's. It really was not of best quality, especially the finish was poor and got worn out quickly. The entire quitar with frets and everything was worn out in 15 years, and I didnt play that much. Still I got $1000 for that wreck in a pawn shop, I never bought it back again :-.

I feel my Epi '56 Goldtop is of much better quality, except the pickups maybe. It shows no wear after 5 years.

Archived