Gibson Brands Forums

Stupid Question.........

OhioSlashFan

define long periods of time.

the neck likes strings, it's made for them.

nothing better for it than to tune and play.

if you are talking a week.. no problem.

a month.. no problem.

several months.. I'd loosen them at least a step and a half..

over a year, .. you gotta take it out and tune it and check it periodically if it's in a storage situation otherwise you're neglecting it.

so.. hope that says it!

There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers (none found on this thread, though).

For shipping a guitar Gibson recommends the following:

"It is a good idea to detune the strings at least a couple of steps to remove some of the tension. The string tension will cause sort of a whiplash effect, thus snapping the headstock, if the box is dropped during shipping. Put your guitar in the case and the case in an oversized box with 2-4 inches of padding all around. Find out what your instrument is worth and insure it for that amount."

Detuning sounds like a good advice also if you're going to store the instrument for a while.

There are no stupid questions' date=' just stupid answers (none found on this thread, though).

For shipping a guitar Gibson recommends the following:

"It is a good idea to detune the strings at least a couple of steps to remove some of the tension. The string tension will cause sort of a whiplash effect, thus snapping the headstock, if the box is dropped during shipping. Put your guitar in the case and the case in an oversized box with 2-4 inches of padding all around. Find out what your instrument is worth and insure it for that amount."

Detuning sounds like a good advice also if you're going to store the instrument for a while.

[/quote']

That's advice for shipping a guitar, where it will be subjected to some stresses.

I stored my (tuned) gibson V in it's case, under the bed for 16 years. When I finally pulled it out to start playing again, I found it to be still almost in tune, and still in perfectly serviceable condition. I now play it on a regular basis.

That's advice for shipping a guitar' date=' where it will be subjected to some stresses.

I stored my (tuned) gibson V in it's case, under the bed for [u']16 years[/u]. When I finally pulled it out to start playing again, I found it to be still almost in tune, and still in perfectly serviceable condition. I now play it on a regular basis.

Almost the same story for me. I stored my Gibson Custom Les Paul in it's hardshell case and didn't detune it. I don't think I touched it for ten years, I was playing piano and then got back into acoustic. It plays as good as it ever did, no problems.

That being said, I may have been fortunate. It probably woudn't hurt to detune as Gibson recommends. I have found that sometimes if I don't play a guitar for a week or so and then take it out, it will somtimes go sharp. Not quite a 1/2 step, but it will go sharp. I've had other friends notice the same thing with their guitars. One friend has 2 Taylors.

So as they say, an ounce of prevention prevents a pound of cure.

My Fender Strat has been tuned to pitch since 1979. There's no degradation in the action and it is still within cents of being in tune every time I take it out of the case. If I were to ship it somewhere, I would tune it down a few steps. In the house, it stays tuned up.

Archived