Gibson Brands Forums

VJ combo or half stack?

Any real advantages of one over the other besides probably portability for the combo and bigger speaker on the stack? I'm leaning in the half stack direction but could be swayed with more info.

Price, access, ability to hook into other cabs, ease of upgrades, space requirements, possibility of speaker distortion, and astethic prefrences.

You have to consider each of those, really.

I'm leaning in the half stack direction but....

+1 to your leaning in the right direction. On a limited budget' date=' what sways my opinion when looking at any new gear of a more or less equal nature is this: [i']How many options does this xxx give me over that yyy when it comes to my FUTURE acquisitions/direction?[/i]

On that basis the half stack wins (or just head + any cab or even your own custom cab with infinite speaker choices), assuming of course, that you may "grow into" a Marsha** or So-Cal 50, or etcetera at some later date. Since many players branch out as they develop their talents, buying the combo would mean that you have to start from square 1 again.

Several forum members stress the combo's portability feature --- but really now, who's doing serious club gigs with a VJr. combo? And, be sure whichever way you fall, that you fall into the version 3 --- head and shoulders better than the previous versions.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on :-

I've got both (V3's). The head/cab gives up a bit more low end and is louder then the combo I lucked

into the Vj. I'd been trying to find a good amp for my POD xtl (got a few that are ok), but when my G/F

decided she wanted to learn how to play I figured I'd get her the little combo mainly due to the price and it was tube.

Got it,and after I started giving her a few lessons plugged my POD into it (just to see). 20 minutes later i

was on the net ordering the head/cab for me. Both are great amps and you really can't lose with either one.

Or better still get both!

I just gigged with my half-stack over the weekend and it sounded awesome. (mic running through the PA). It was a blues gig, I used my Strat into a POD xtLive into the amp. It was great. (bitmo mods there). I kept the gain on high most of the time, it just gave it a little more energy.

I believe the 8-inch speaker would have sounded like an old ham sandwich.

Archived