Gibson Brands Forums

gibson parts in a non-epiphone guitar?

fenrirlupus

most likely no problem at all.

assuming it had humbucks of course. *S*

sometimes you have to replace the mounting rings, too.

metric to usa presents some small problems... but usa fit epis etc. no sweat so.. washburn will work!

most likely no problem at all.

assuming it had humbucks of course. *S*

sometimes you have to replace the mounting rings' date=' too.

metric to usa presents some small problems... but usa fit epis etc. no sweat so.. washburn will work![/quote']

yes it has humbuckers, it's a 335 copy. i'm guessing the mounting rings are the plastic around the humbuckers?

Chances are it was made in one of the same factories that makes or has made Epis. Gibson pickups will drop right in. As to the strings, I'd go for D'Addarios or something... never could figure out what was so great about Gibson strings.

just one (probably dumb) question: if i wanted to put gibson humbuckers in a washburn guitar' date=' would they fit? [/quote']

In theory they should drop right in. You should get the new screws and springs with the Gibson pickups. You might have to look at the springs and see what fits right on the bottom side of the mounting rings. I used the Gibson springs when I put a set of burstbuckers in one of my G400s.

yep. the plastic or sometimes metal rings around the pup.. mounting rings.

a little tip for ya.. sometimes humbucks don't want to sit level.. and since they pivot on a screw through each end, they can be hard to adjust just through that method.

so, before wiring them in, while you have the guitar apart.. install them, then check to see if they are level.

you just want them sitting flat, parallel to the strings.

If not, a little bit of foam rubber under one end will solve the problem.

Be sure to put it in, then adjust up and down and see if the pickup tilts too much when adjusted.. sometimes the foam will cause the pup

to tilt the other way when you adjust it.

So spend a little time dinking around with that, before you solder anything in, and get it to adjust up and down within it's range while staying level.

So much easier than having to remove strings, unsolder, etc.

level pickups allow more/better signal from the strings.. and cosmetically looks a lot better, too.

I use Kent Armstrong pups almost all the time. These come boxed, and the box has perfect foam pieces in it to protect the pups.. it's perfect for this.. soft enough for adjustment and stiff enough to hold the pups steady.

But many things can work.. and it's really worth the time, esp. since it's so easy!

yep. the plastic or sometimes metal rings around the pup.. mounting rings.

a little tip for ya.. sometimes humbucks don't want to sit level.. and since they pivot on a screw through each end' date=' they can be hard to adjust just through that method.

so, before wiring them in, while you have the guitar apart.. install them, then check to see if they are level.

you just want them sitting flat, parallel to the strings.

If not, a little bit of foam rubber under one end will solve the problem.

Be sure to put it in, then adjust up and down and see if the pickup tilts too much when adjusted.. sometimes the foam will cause the pup

to tilt the other way when you adjust it.

So spend a little time dinking around with that, before you solder anything in, and get it to adjust up and down within it's range while staying level.

So much easier than having to remove strings, unsolder, etc.

level pickups allow more/better signal from the strings.. and cosmetically looks a lot better, too.

I use Kent Armstrong pups almost all the time. These come boxed, and the box has perfect foam pieces in it to protect the pups.. it's perfect for this.. soft enough for adjustment and stiff enough to hold the pups steady.

But many things can work.. and it's really worth the time, esp. since it's so easy!

[/quote']

Just remembered this as I read your post. The screws that came with the Gibson pickups were too long for my G400 so I had to drill a small hole under where the screws would bottom out in the guitar to make the pickups adjust right. No big deal as long as you watch what you are doing.

They will fit...however, putting Gibson pickups in an Oscar Schmidt OE-30 does not make it an Epiphone, makeshift or otherwise.

I had an OE-30, and it was a perfectly fine guitar, considering I paid $129 for it (I traded it in for an Epi).

The stock pickups in it will do the job. The biggest drawback to me was the bolt-on neck. It played fine, but you can't comfortably play above the 15th fret.

My advice would be--leave the pickups in there, get the job at Menards, and save up for a Dot.

Some guitars do have narrower routes and can cause problems but isnt really the norm.

Oddly enough my PRS SE Santana and Gibson 498/490 set are a Amazing match and Ive had both Dimarzio's,and Duncans loaded previously.

=D>/

Archived