Gibson Brands Forums

Tone question

I have a VJ combo--version 2. It's new. I switched out the tubes (JJs) and added a Weber speaker. The sound is a little harsh and crisp. I want to smooth it out a little. I know I need to break the speaker in a little. However, what would be a better investment to improve the sound a little--a reverb pedal or a EQ pedal?

I am thinking EQ. Thoughts?

Tricky question on this forum right now.. subjective opinions abound…

If the speaker is new, yes you will need to work the cone in. This may take some time.. Do you have a garage that you can put the speaker in a run it without wife and next door complaining?

As for EQ vs Reverb subjective since they are different animals.. And I won’t even mention the change a resistor or capacitor thing right now.. But if you wish to do that go to www.sewatt.com and get the explanations over there.

To break in the cone, put something in front of it that absorbs lots of sound (like a blanket or pillow) and gradually turn the volume up. Play at one level for 5 minutes, then turn it up a little more, and keep doing this until it's maxed out (or as loud as you can handle it) and play at that level for about 10 minutes. Play lots of big open chords.

If that doesn't work, try an EQ pedal. That will actually change your tone. Reverb will just make it a little more open feeling, won't change the actual tone much.

It can take many hours of playing to break in a speaker. I wouldn't expect it within 10-12 hour, and probably twice that. It depends on the speaker, dope/no-dope, volume you play at, etc. Some guys like to hook new speakers up to a stereo, turn it up loud, and leave for the day. I prefer to just play my guitar through them, so I can hear the moment at which it softens.

This is first time I've ever seen someone equate reverb with EQ. =D>

Break that speaker in first, then if you feel you must do something, consider some of the standard tone shaping mods, or an outboard EQ. I personally prefer to minimize outboard gear, so I tend to want my amps dialed in internally, so I don't have to add external EQ. YMMV

Wasn't really equating the EQ to Reverb. I just like how reverb takes the edge off and gives the sound a little more dimension. My preference would be add a Reverb Pedal than screw around with all the settings on an EQ. But the latter might make more sense.

I knew that it was important to break the speaker in, but I had heard mixed opinions on whether breaking in a speaker has that much impact on the tone.

I knew that it was important to break the speaker in' date=' but I had heard mixed opinions on whether breaking in a speaker has that much impact on the tone.[/quote']

Many, many players underestimate/overlook the tonal importance of speakers -- it is significant. Plus, no new speaker sounds as good as it can be w/o proper break-in. I have about 55 hours of break-in on a new Eminence Cannabis Rex 12" and it's still improving almost daily. It sounded good out of the box, but started to sound great at around 35 hrs. and terrific once in the mid-40's.

No opinion on EQ vs. reverb. If I feel I really need one (or both) I just switch on my POD. Good luck in your tone search. Some good member(s) here will probably put you right onto what you need.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Wasn't really equating the EQ to Reverb. I just like how reverb takes the edge off and gives the sound a little more dimension. My preference would be add a Reverb Pedal than screw around with all the settings on an EQ. But the latter might make more sense.

I knew that it was important to break the speaker in' date=' but I had heard mixed opinions on whether breaking in a speaker has that much impact on the tone.

[/quote']

My VJr sounded great right out of the box, but my Valve Special sounded almost crappy when I got it. Very muffled with an almost contrary annoying hissiness. After about 100 hours of hard playing it just all of a sudden started to open up, and in a short time, sounds great. I like the sound of it better than the VJr, but that may be due to more than just the speaker. To break one in without a lot of noise, hook the speaker up to a FM radio, you can use the headphone jack for that, put it in a cardboard box in the closet, no cabinet just lay it on the magnet, this will provide some phase cancelation to quiet it down some, then throw some blankets over the box and let it run while at work and playtime till done. Fm will give a good wide freq range.

I use an FM radio for breaking in speakers, too. Never saw the point of using 60 cycle AC to break in a speaker. Besides, I never heard a guitar that only produces a 60hz tone. A few amps temporarily, but no guitars. :-&

Gil...

My VJr sounded great right out of To break one in without a lot of noise' date=' hook the speaker up to a FM radio, you can use the headphone jack for that, put it in a cardboard box in the closet, no cabinet just lay it on the magnet, this will provide some phase cancelation to quiet it down some, then throw some blankets over the box and let it run while at work and playtime till done. Fm will give a good wide freq range.[/quote']

Cool. I will give it a try. How much volume should I give it?

I've done it a few ways and have found a frequency generator to be handy in exercising the cone. I'm lucky to have one...a cheapie scored from Ebay. The next best thing is to supply a source such as FM radio with a good mix of freq's.

Depending on the station, smooth and mellow-as high as the amp would. Wide freq distorted music-a little lower. Just to be safe maybe a little lower. I'd hate to see you playing 'Bass and Drum' at ten times the volume it could safely handle without blowing. The voice coil needs to move alot, but you don't want it banging around or burning. Just use good judgment. If unsure, less is better.

I got an Alnico Blue today that I'm cooking on FM right now, but it's in my living room, so it's not real loud at the moment. Only 4 hours of moderate volume already helped a little. I'll be able to crank it all day tomorrow. I also like to hit 'em with occasional bursts of severe guitar thrashing so I can really hear how they're coming along. Can't do that so easy if it's buried in a closet. So it doesn't have to be full blast all the time to get some exercise; although it would probably help any speaker break faster in if it's run closer to the rated continuous power. Whatever you can get away with is always best.

Gil...

Yeah, I had to dig out the old Rat Shack plug converters. It'll sound pretty lousy due to the impedance mismatch, but it does the job. If you have something like a ReAmp than can convert low impedance signals to high impedance, it'll make hearing your radio through the guitar amp much more tolerable.

Gil...

Do you just put a cable between the radio and speaker? Instrument or speaker cable?

What Eracer_Team said. Or a 1/8 to bare wire, or alligator clips, tied to the speaker terminals. Don't use shielded instrument cable, bad habit to get into, use plain old wire, old computer wire cable, nothin' fancy needed.

Yeah' date=' I had to dig out the old Rat Shack plug converters. It'll sound pretty lousy due to the impedance mismatch, but it does the job. If you have something like a ReAmp than can convert low impedance signals to high impedance, it'll make hearing your radio through the guitar amp much more tolerable.

Gil...[/quote']

If the speaker is in the amp and your willing to let the tubes run, just plug in a guitar, and set the guitar pickup next to the radio speaker. You'll hear the radio in mono tho.

Robo' date=' you bring up a good point. Some material is just more intense and doesn't need to be as loud. Mine's been doing VH and Metallica all afternoon. '](*,)

Gil...

Yeah, I prolly wouldn't recommend Husker Du at extreme volume.

It's playing AC/DC now. Pretty cool when you think about it. Angus is breaking in my speaker for me! LOL...

Even weirder' date=' there's a BackInBlack YouTube video on the computer thanks to the Gibson newsletter. Must be a conspiracy in there somewhere.

http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/Lifestyle/Lessons/InstrumentLessons/AC%5FDC%20Back%20In%20Black%20Part%201/

Gil...[/quote']

Give Malcolm some credit there too! He's prolly one of the most underrated and uncredited guitarists in history. When Angus backs it off, Malcolm's still in the back just kicking bigtime ***, and keeping a constant flow going..

It's playing AC/DC now. Pretty cool when you think about it. Angus is breaking in my speaker for me! LOL...

Even weirder' date=' there's a BackInBlack YouTube video on the computer thanks to the Gibson newsletter. Must be a conspiracy in there somewhere.

http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/Lifestyle/Lessons/InstrumentLessons/AC%5FDC%20Back%20In%20Black%20Part%201/

Gil...[/quote']

Hey, thanx for the link. Just downloaded both vids to my computer!

Give Malcolm some credit there too! He's probably one of the most underrated and uncredited guitarists in history. When Angus backs it off' date=' Malcolm's still in the back just kicking bigtime ***, and keeping a constant flow going..[/quote']

Absolutely. And I always thought Tom Fogerty was another "seriously underrated and uncredited" rhythm player. Malcolm at least receives honorable mention in most AC/DC mag articles I've read. Both guys have/had that special connection to the invisible wavelength Keith Richards refers to and between the three of them they have literally played the rock-n-roll soundtrack for many of us who love 60'- 80's era material.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I have read this thread with much interest. Tanx for all the useful info!

I think my speaker needs to break in too. I didn’t like the speaker hat much, so I didn’t play a lot of time on my Epi Valve special. I think it’s a very good idea too hook the speaker up to a FM station. Nice trick!

But how is the connection exactly made? Do I put the headphone cable into the input jack on the front (same as the guitar input), or do I have to bypass the amp and connect only the speaker to the radio, with the plug on the back of the amp?

Please explain..

Archived