Gibson Brands Forums

Soundwise, which one is better , G-400 Custom or Black Beauty ?

vanessa

As both the G-400 Custom and the Black Beauty have 3 classic humbuckers , I am curious to hear your comments on their sounds and other features as well .

The G-400 has 3 Alnico Classic Plus humbuckers . The Black Beauty has 3 Alnico Classic humbuckers

BTW, in North America, a Black Beauty cost about twice the price of a G-400 Custom. Thanks,

27_01.jpg

51_01.jpg

I personally find that the LPs have a wider tonal range but I love SGs as well. Everyone here will have an opinion but the most important one is you. Go play as many of both as you can wherever you can and see which guitar calls to you. you will know which appeals the most and is the guitar for you !

I personally find that the LPs have a wider tonal range but I love SGs as well. Everyone here will have an opinion but the most important one is you. Go play as many of both as you can wherever you can and see which guitar calls to you. you will know which appeals the most and is the guitar for you !

Thanks bluestringer for the advice . I'll try them out and see if I can find some store that allows me to do so . It's funny when I was told to put down a deposit to buy and wait a week to have a model sent from another store in its chain . Most stores do not even these models in stocks in my city !!

I had the LP standard (ebony) so appearance is not an essential factor for me if I ever choose the Black Beauty ! If the sounds are similar, I would probably go for the G-400 custom . At heart, I'm a player, not a collector !

I really want to hear more pros and cons. Thanks,

Best regards,

They both have one Alnico Classic Hot (bridge position) and two Alnico Classics. The G-400 has the standard selector switch, with the center pickup always 'on' and controlled by a third volume control; the BB usually has a special three-way switch which selects lead/lead plus middle/rhythm pickup... but some may also have the same set-up as the G-400. The main reason for this discrepancy is that the special three-way switch is too long to fit in the G-400.

Neither one can be considered 'better' than the other; the sound will be very similar. The G-400 is going to be the more comfortable guitar to play.

Neither one can be considered 'better' than the other; the sound will be very similar. The G-400 is going to be the more comfortable guitar to play.

Thanks RotcanX ... It's very encouraging to hear G-400 sounds similar to Black Beauty which is apparently a collection item for Epiphone lovers !

They will be quite similar. But, SG guitars (to me) have always had a bit "rounder" tone...almost a "ow"

sound, to them, in comparison, to a LP. I know..."Ow" isn't very technical..lol, but it's the only thing

I can think of, to describe the difference, in the two tones. RotcanX is right, about the comfort thing...

SG's are a lot lighter, but some have a tendency to be "neck heavy" in the balance department. Don't

know about the "Custom" in that way, though.

CB

The main reason for this discrepancy is that the special three-way switch is too long to fit in the G-400.

??

I don't get what you're saying here.

I had to special order a Switchcraft toggle that had more connectors to properly wire it up

It's a 90 degree deal, not the long LP type.

The mini toggle that came out of the SG Custom was an 'Epiphone' stamped part that had basically the same

working parts but 1/2 the size....and straight.

(If I had a pic I'd show you but I don't so I can't.)

Holly ! Molly ... Them pictures are really fantastic ! Did you have these top notched pups customed installed or did you swap out the stock pups (i.e. the Alnico Classic Plus ) yourself subsequently ?

I definitely have to try-out one of these SG-400 Custom .... Thanks Gas Jones for whetting up my desire !!

It's just the Duncan SH-6 Mayhem Set {SH-6 paired with an SH-2}

$130 for the set.

The gold one is leftover from the bridge

I can't solder the right wires together so

I usually have to get a trained tech to handle the dirty work...

Set-ups too.

Changing strings and things is about all I do.

The gold '57+ grew a new life along with the other 'new' pickups.

Its output and tone match nicely and the combo blends are

hard charged rock delight!

Soundwise which is better?

Thats a VERY subjective term.

What may sound good to me may sound like crap to you, and vice-versa.

Although not sound related, the SG model does have that nice access to the upper frets (except the 310).

As many have said before in similar situations, try to play both (preferably through the same kind of amp you will be using) and go from there. IMO, feel is just as important, if not more so, as sound (you can change pickups, strings, different amp settings etc.), .

LP's are heavier, so if you plan long jam sessions or gigs, consider that, especially if its going to be your only/main guitar.

Myself, I'd pick the SG, but I already have an LP.

After browsing this Forum and reading carefully this thread, these are my take on the question ( a newbie's impression ) :

1) Even though the pups in Black Beauty and the SG-400 custom are quite similar ( SG-400 used 3 Alnico Classic Plus humbuckers, Black Beauty used 3 Alnico Classic humbuckers) the tones may be different due to the thickness of the guitar bodies( both used mahogany for bodies) , the type of paints used !! SG guitars came to the scene later ( 1961-1968) than the Les Paul so technically, they may include improved sound quality.

2) If you are not a collector, there is no need to spend double the cost for SG-400 custom for the Black Beauty .

3) Always try out the guitar you want to buy to check out the tone ( i.e. good bye to buying guitars from the NET ?? ) .

In my case, I want to have a guitar with 3 humbuckers ( I had a Epiphone LP already) . So far , I am leaning towards SG-400 , which is available only in classic Ivory color !! :) . Perhaps few people in this forum have a Black Beauty. It would be lovely to hear their comments

??

I don't get what you're saying here.

I had to special order a Switchcraft toggle that had more connectors to properly wire it up

It's a 90 degree deal' date=' not the long LP type.

The mini toggle that came out of the SG Custom was an 'Epiphone' stamped part that had basically the same

working parts but 1/2 the size....and straight.

(If I had a pic I'd show you but I don't so I can't.)[/quote']

What I'm saying is that the multi-connector switch that they use in the BB will not fit in a G-400. As you found out, you need a special 90-degree unit to fit. The stock switch in the G-400 Custom is a standard SPDT switch.

1) Even though the pups in Black Beauty and the SG-400 custom are quite similar ( SG-400 used 3 Alnico Classic Plus humbuckers' date=' Black Beauty used 3 Alnico Classic humbuckers)[/quote']

Browse some more. the pickup set-up is identical in both guitars: one Alnico HOT and two Alnico Classics. The specs on the Epi website are inaccurate; you need to check the catalog for the proper info.

Browse some more. the pickup set-up is identical in both guitars: one Alnico HOT and two Alnico Classics. The specs on the Epi website are inaccurate; you need to check the catalog for the proper info.

Could you provide the link to the catalogue you think to be correct ?

I got my info. from Epi. website which indicates that there is no Alnico hot on the Black Beauty ! I am getting confused !!

Must be the printed catalog, then. It's a miracle they have most of the model names correct on the web site, that seems to be the only thing that is somewhat up to date at any given day. The actual specs what the factories in China and Korea have come up with seems to vary a lot.

Must be the printed catalog' date=' then. It's a miracle they have most of the model names correct on the web site, that seems to be the only thing that is somewhat up to date at any given day. The actual specs what the factories in China and Korea have come up with seems to vary a lot.

[/quote']

=====================

__China is the only place Epiphone currently has a manufacturing plant outside USA ! I wonder why a big outfit like Epihone could be that sloppy in its specs publication . I thought the Info from the website should be the most reliable !

In any case, I am still waiting for RotcanX's authorative info source and see.

China is the only place Epiphone currently has a manufacturing plant outside USA ! I wonder why a big outfit like Epihone could be that sloppy in its specs publication . I thought the Info from the website should be the most reliable !

Technically you are correct.

There's only one Epiphone/Gibson owned factory outside USA' date=' the Qingdao factory in China. Anyhow, Epiphones have also been manufactured this year at least by the Un Sung Musical Instrument Co. in Korea. The latest one I've seen was from February 2008. Other non-Gibson factories still making Epiphones include the DaeWon plant in China. There may still be others.

The factories are not all controlled by Epiphone so most of the time they don't have a clue of the minor details (take the knob placement on different versions of the current G-400 model for example). Besides, lately it's been proved the US operation that takes care of the web and customer services doesn't have a clue of their own factory's production either (see the "large heel" thread: [u']Very disappointed with my new epi LP silverburst[/u]).

Thanks Biff for all the interesting details ! I just thought all the Epi. guitars have come from the Qingdao plant for the past 2 years ! If I got a choice, I would buy Epi guitars manufactured in Korea and wait a few more years for the plants in China to catch up with the international production standard ! I heard enough stories of sloppy finished products from China to believe it's really a lottery to get acceptable Epi guitars now aday , especially from the Internet .

Hi i'm a newbie.

i own a black beauty 3 and i can confirm my PU is 57 classic for neck and middle with hot classic plus for bridge. i took a look at it the other day.

the switching was neck for rhythm, middle and bridge for center position, and bridge for treble. 2 volume, 2 tones, for neck and bridge only. i have rewired it to get the tone of neck and bridge together, so now it is same as ordinary les paul for the switch, i have an always on middle pu with own volume pot, which i always turn down btw, volume pots for neck and bridge and a master tone.

that is fine for me, but i always have a problem, by having a master tone, it is hard for me since i usually roll down the tone when i'm using neck, and opening it when in bridge. but i still appreciate the middle pick-up coz i can do combinations like bridge n middle, neck n middle, and all of them. recently i found out the gibson jimmy page black beauty have a 6-way switch, thus have seperate tone pots, which i would appreciate.

i have also thought of making the tone pots control my neck only, and let the bridge open, what do you think?

one more thing, my friend has a g-400 custom, and i couldn't figure out the switches and pots do what, i mean, it's a total mess, maybe i'm so stupid but i think it have a master volume, which turns down all pu, and i couldn't figure out the switch, it seemed like there is a wiring mistake there, it's a mess. i also have played i les paul 100 that when you roll the neck tone, you roll all pu's volume too haha.

Technically you are correct.

There's only one Epiphone/Gibson owned factory outside USA' date=' the Qingdao factory in China. Anyhow, Epiphones have also been manufactured this year at least by the Un Sung Musical Instrument Co. in Korea. The latest one I've seen was from February 2008. Other non-Gibson factories still making Epiphones include the DaeWon plant in China. There may still be others.

The factories are not all controlled by Epiphone so most of the time they don't have a clue of the minor details (take the knob placement on different versions of the current G-400 model for example). Besides, lately it's been proved the US operation that takes care of the web and customer services doesn't have a clue of their own factory's production either (see the "large heel" thread: [u']Very disappointed with my new epi LP silverburst[/u]).

Don't Froget UC...'Unsung China'

saw an LP Plustop with an UC0803xxxx serial

Not as nice as Unsung Korea.

Oh No.

Different plants entirely.

Gotta Be.

This thing was noticeably 'crude' on the paint scheme.

Hi i'm a newbie.

i own a black beauty 3 and i can confirm my PU is 57 classic for neck and middle with hot classic plus for bridge.

__ welcome to the Forum , afiez ! Your comments on the wiring of the Black Beauty are very interesting . Thanks for the infos...

Archived