Gibson Brands Forums

a Dot or a Sheraton

rlajack1217

Yeah, I don't think you should say it's a Samick or nothing - but if you want to tell which ones are Samick then I believe that I am correct in saying that their serial numbers all begin with an S.

I haven't found any super great prices on gold, that's about the best unless something might pop up on Ebay. I'm thinking about a Bigsby for my Sherry, but I'm not sure if I want to keep the hardware gold or change everything to chrome. I like gold when it is new but not after it starts to wear off.

Here is another avenue, but not cheap. I have an '80 Gibson Les Paul Custom but no way was I gonna drill any hole is it. I put a Stetsbar on, and I don't regret it. It was 3 bills, more for gold. I'm not sure I want to invest that much in my Sherry, but they are nice. It will drop the pitch about an octave and raise it just about as much. More range than the Bigsby.

LesterwithStetsbarbody.jpg

Very nice job JC! =D>

Both look great. My B7 hasn't arrived yet. I got it off of ebay. I checked under B7* Gold every so often and I found a display model on a buy it now for $117. Although you could make a best offer and maybe get it cheaper I thought that was a good price and I didn't want to risk someone buying out from under me so I jumped on it.

It hasn't arrived yet but maybe Saturday.

so that stetsbar is a floyd that doesn't destroy the guitar and holds its tune? also, does any one know of a good vid/clip of a bigsby in context and getting a pretty good workout? i've always been curious.

so that stetsbar is a floyd that doesn't destroy the guitar and holds its tune?

Well, I've never played a Floyd Rose whammy so I can't make an accurate comparison. But with .009s it will drop the pitch about an octave and raise it just a little less than an octave. It woun't drop the strings so they hang loose like a Floyd Rose. I really haven't had any problems with the tuning. I did have some probleme getting the intonatioin set, so I took it in to my tech and he fixed it right up. I use it more like a Bigsby than a whammy. Mine has a very sensitive touch to it, so it doesn't take much depression of the bar to drop the pitch.

Long story, short punch line - the guitar stays in tune fine for me. I have done some diving with it and still haven't had any problems with it staying in tune. It ain't cheap though. I think they range from $300 to $369, plus shipping.

I don't know of a clip on a Bigsby being used a lot, but when I am playing my Dot I use the Bigsby quite a bit and I really don't have any problems with the tuning.

Archived