Gibson Brands Forums

Low E string vibrates andm akes loud noise when left untouched and plugged in on Epi G400

Chaoslava

Yeah, long title, sorry.

First post here...

Basically when my Epi is plugged into my Marshall MG-15 DFX, the low e string buzzes, and then I presume the magnets from the humbuckers keep the string vibrating more and more.

And it's really loud, like, someone standing next to you humming as loud as they can.

I suspect my action is all wrong, and the height of my pickups is off too.

Any help?

I think it would be great if someone could tell me the standard action height, and bridge height, and humbucker height. Because i've totally messed it all up. I was fiddling about with it for ages tryign to lower the strings. I've learnt my lesson.

Also, i'm from UK, so inches are no good here.. I have a tape measure not a proper ruler.

It'll cost £35 ($70) to get it fixed which is a real pain.

I would just experiment. Lower the pickup on the low E side untill the string doesn't vibrate any more. You didn't say which pickup, I am assuming the neck. Make sure you selector switch is set to either rhythm (neck) or treble (bridge). Find out which one is causing the vibration and lower that pickup.

Oh also the thumbscrews on the bridge (to lower it or make it higher) have always been too tight to adjust with my fingers' date=' it won't budge at all..[/quote']

Use a screwdriver. Turn to the right to lower it and to the left to higher it. If you are making the bridge adjustment higher, loosen the strings first.

I would just experiment. Lower the pickup on the low E side untill the string doesn't vibrate any more. You didn't say which pickup' date=' I am assuming the neck. Make sure you selector switch is set to either rhythm (neck) or treble (bridge). Find out which one is causing the vibration and lower that pickup.[/quote']

Sorry ^^

When it's on treble, it vibrates

When the switch is in the middle (both pickups) it vibrates

When it' on Rhythm, it still vibrates.

So I guess the strings are too low, but they were really high before... I could almost fit my pinky under the 18th fret and beyond.

Thanks for the reply #-o

Use a screwdriver. Turn to the right to lower it and to the left to higher it.

Yes I have been and you'll think i'm a major idiot (so do I) but while adjusting it, the screwdriver slipped off and scratched my beautiful Epiphone. My flawless, shiny, smooth epiphone...

Oh how I was gutted. I would of gone back intime and kicked my past self in the face before I even picked up the screwdriver.

So yeah.. i've learnt not to apply so much downwards pressure now. Which is fine when you're fixing PC's but not gutiars.

Yes I have been and you'll think i'm a major idiot (so do I) but while adjusting it' date=' the screwdriver slipped off and scratched my beautiful Epiphone. My flawless, shiny, smooth epiphone...

Oh how I was gutted. I would of gone back intime and kicked my past self in the face before I even picked up the screwdriver.

So yeah.. i've learnt not to apply so much downwards pressure now. Which is fine when you're fixing PC's but not gutiars.[/quote']

You aren't the first to do that. I usually put a towel or something on my guitar when using sharp objects on my guitar. The first scratch is always the worst.

You aren't the first to do that. I usually put a towel or something on my guitar when using sharp objects on my guitar. The first scratch is always the worst.

Yup, I suppose it's the same with everything, scratch on the back of an Ipod (you get one the second you look at it, then about a hundred the second it goes in your pocket.

First smudge on a monitor.

It's not too bad (truth be told I scratched it twice, once near the bridge pickup on the left, and once across the scratchplate onto the body.

Ok, so... strings too low and pickups too high. Can I keep the strings the same height, but lower the pickups ever more? They're pretty low already, i'm just taking a pic.

Umm.. so string height is supposed to be 3/64" off the 12th fret, this I know.. just 3/64".. is that 3 64ths of an inch?

I need that in mm haha.

Ok new discovery, when I have the buzzing, if I lay the guitar flat on my lap with the strings facing up, it stops.. but when I hold it normally, it starts again.

Also, it only buzzes when the volume knob is above 1, and when the gain on my amp is turned all the way up.

Feedback? How close are you to the amp when this happens?

Don't think it's feedback, I can visibly see the low E string vibrating as I can't see the coils, and when I touch it it stops, but as soon as I let go it sort of builds itself back up again..

Am I missing something here' date=' but aren't 18mm and 1.8cm the same thing since 1/10 of a centimeter = 1 millimeter?[/quote']

Yeah but an Inch is 25mm (2.5cm) and the proper string height is apparantly 3/64ths of an inch.

Don't think it's feedback' date=' I can visibly see the low E string vibrating as I can't see the coils, and when I touch it it stops, but as soon as I let go it sort of builds itself back up again..[/quote']

Dude, that's feedback. Can't see what coils?

Don't think it's feedback' date=' I can visibly see the low E string vibrating as I can't see the coils, and when I touch it it stops, but as soon as I let go it sort of builds itself back up again..[/quote']

That's exactly what feedback is. Don't expect to leave the guitar untended in front of a working amp without that happening.

Your action looks WAY high.

Proper string height on the E string at the 12th fret is 3/32" (NOT 3/64") = 2.38 mm.

Archived