Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson LP studio ,,,

KCW1229

I own a Gibson Les Paul Studio. Love that guitar. Love it.

I'd highly recommend it. Especially if you want that "Gibson" sound at a reasonable price.

(I don't know about the elitists as a leftie...but my other Epiphones? I love playing 'em...but they're not Gibsons. They don't feel like Gibsons, and even playing one unplugged the tonality is obvious between the 2 brands.)

Yeah... considering they're about the same price, either the Gibson Studio or the Elitist Standard Plus will be the choice. Personally I prefer the Elitist because, well, it's a Standard, with all the bling and that rich Standard heritage. Plays and sounds as good if not better than the Studio.

One factor between them is the neck profile; the Elitist has a very slim '60s neck while the neck on the Studio is a '58 rounded profile. Depends on which you prefer.

eliteLP1.jpg

I've got a '96 studio that I like a lot. A piece of information that often hear that is incorrect is that the studio has a 50's rounded neck. It doesn't, it's got a '59 proflie that's in between 50's and 60's. I like it a lot.

And the major difference between the standard and studio (other than cosmetics) is the pickups. Studio has 498/490, standard has burstbucker pros.

Only difference between the Studio and Standard is cosmetic' date=' like binding, etc. I've got one myself, and I like it. Personally, though, I think you should get an Epiphone Elitist.[/quote']

Actually, the Studio has a thinner body (1 3/4" vs 2"), a thicker neck profile (the Standard can be had with either the '50s or the '60s profile) and the Studio has 490R/498T pickups while the Standard has a set of Burstbucker Pros.

Actually' date=' the Studio has a thinner body (1 3/4" vs 2"), a thicker neck profile (the Standard can be had with either the '50s or the '60s profile) and the Studio has 490R/498T pickups while the Standard has a set of Burstbucker Pros.[/quote']

Actually, my studio is 1 13/16''. I know it's only 1/16 off from 3/4, but I measured a gibby standard at my local store and it was the same thickness. The epiphone les pauls the store had were all that thick too.

The current ones may be 1 3/4'', but the few I measured weren't. As for the 2'' thickness, that's probably only the elitists. I've never measured an elitist cuz they don't pop up to frequently were I live, but I'll believe you that they're that thick. But I've never seen a les paul 2'' thick.

SVET.. You are spoilt brother' date=' all those lovely guitars..

Spread the love around....

W W[/quote']

I'm all for sharing WW but you're just too far away down under! I plan on keeping my collection for the rest of my life and it really won't be growing much if at all from here on out. I'm going to have to answer to a woman soon so I sort of planned it out this way. She can't say no to what I already have! lol.

Oh yeah' date=' I forgot to mention custom shop. Svet, do you have any standard gibson les pauls? If so how thick?[/quote']

Hi Cooper, I don't own a Standard right now but I have played some and from my recollection the current Standard Standards :-# are of the same thickness specification of 2 inches.

Hi Cooper' date=' I don't own a Standard right now but I have played some and from my recollection the current Standard Standards :-# are of the same thickness specification of 2 inches. [/quote']

Hmm, really :-k ? All the ones I've measure (stuido, standard and epiphone) are 1 13/16 inches. Maybe the rulers

bad :^o .

Where are you measuring at? I'm measuring from a spot straight out from the tailpiece.

Btw, I'm not cooper, lol

Hmm' date=' really :^o ? All the ones I've measure (stuido, standard and epiphone) are 1 13/16 inches. Maybe the rulers

bad :-# .

Where are you measuring at? I'm measuring from a spot straight out from the tailpiece.

Btw, I'm not cooper, lol[/quote']

Woops, sorry about that! It doesn't matter where the measurement is derived from as the guitar is the same depth throughout the perimeterof the body. Give me a couple of minutes and I'll post a picture.

All Epiphones (except the Japanese ones) have polyurethane finishes. Gibsons have nitro. If that makes a difference to you, then it's something to take into consideration.

I don't see much difference between the custom model Epiphones and the more cheaper versions such as the classic and some studio models. The real difference is between the regular Epiphones and the elitist models which are truly excellent guitars with all the right woods. Still though, the elitist models still have a poly finish and they don't have the same feel or play as any Gibson.

A Gibson is a Gibson. An Epiphone is an Epiphone.

There's a lot of variation among the lower end Gibsons. You have to play a bunch until you find the one that's right for you.

I never realized that the Studios were thinner than the Standards. I guess that is one of the reasons they just didn't feel right to me. It just reiterates my point all along that the Elitist is a better buy as it more accurately replicates the original design of a Les Paul

I never realized that the Studios were thinner than the Standards. I guess that is one of the reasons they just didn't feel right to me. It just reiterates my point all along that the Elitist is a better buy as it more accurately replicates the original design of a Les Paul

It depends on the year of the studio model. Some have thinner bodies. Others do not.

Les Paul's original design btw called for an all maple body.

It depends on the year of the studio model. Some have thinner bodies. Others do not.

Les Paul's original design btw called for an all maple body.

"the log" was all maple. But that was a fencepost with a neck on it.

I think Lester asked gibson to have the mahog put in.

Archived