Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Sticker

EpiphoneFan

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, cool pics EpiphoneFan!

I lived in Korea for 3years +, back in '96-'99. At the time I got my first Epiphone at Nakwon Sangka, but it was what we today would call an unauthorised guitar, I think. I was looking it over (a semi-hollow, maybe a sheraton) and pointed out that there was no serial number.

The young sales guy looked like I had caught him trying to steal from my mother, and then told me that in exchange for making all the guitars for Epiphone, Samick had a "deal" where they could use the Epi parts on some un-numbered guitars for the local market.

The first 2-3 guitars I looked at had problems or things falling off them, and I made him pull another one from storage. That one was pretty good.

Oh, and once I called his bluff about the serial numbers the price went down by about half. I was also able to combine that with a pretty sweet deal for a gig bag, long cable, free chromatic tuner (that I still swear by today), and an amp. I traded it to a Canadian guy for some cash and his Ibanez acoustic shortly before I left, and then gave the acoustic to one of my friends. When I got back to America, though, I started buying the first of my many "real" Epiphones.

FIGHTING! :-

Hiya EF' date=' I checked out the site but sorry can't understand it '](*,) is there a english version, I did understand the pics though. 8-[ :D/

Cheers

RR

Ken.

Sorry but only Korean.

We support epiphone and catch the fake in Korea.

Hey' date=' cool pics EpiphoneFan!

I lived in Korea for 3years +, back in '96-'99. At the time I got my first Epiphone at Nakwon Sangka, but it was what we today would call an unauthorised guitar, I think. I was looking it over (a semi-hollow, maybe a sheraton) and pointed out that there was no serial number.

The young sales guy looked like I had caught him trying to steal from my mother, and then told me that in exchange for making all the guitars for Epiphone, Samick had a "deal" where they could use the Epi parts on some un-numbered guitars for the local market.

The first 2-3 guitars I looked at had problems or things falling off them, and I made him pull another one from storage. That one was pretty good.

Oh, and once I called his bluff about the serial numbers the price went down by about half. I was also able to combine that with a pretty sweet deal for a gig bag, long cable, free chromatic tuner (that I still swear by today), and an amp. I traded it to a Canadian guy for some cash and his Ibanez acoustic shortly before I left, and then gave the acoustic to one of my friends. When I got back to America, though, I started buying the first of my many "real" Epiphones.

FIGHTING! 8-[

[/quote']

That time, Epiphone couldn't buy and sale in korea.

We had no distributor, that time.

but, Nack-won was sale unofficial Epiphone and sample-test Epiphone.

sample-test Epiphone was no serial or experimental model for OEM(Samick)'s first product.

so it be very inexpensive but existed good model.

That time' date=' Epiphone couldn't buy and sale in korea.

We had no distributor, that time.

but, Nack-won was sale unofficial Epiphone and sample-test Epiphone.

sample-test Epiphone was no serial or experimental model for OEM(Samick)'s first product.

so it be very inexpensive but existed good model.[/quote']

Yup, I know that now, but back then I didn't. They were trying to pass it off as the real thing, though. It only went down in price when I began to ask questions and demonstrated it wasn't my first guitar.

Glad there is an official distributor in Korea now. I may visit Korea next January for my father-in-law's birthday, but I am not sure yet. If I do, hopefully we can meet up.

That is the late great Cliff Burton. He was the original bass player in Metallica.

Yup, even if you don't like Metallica, if you heard what he did on those 4 strings, you would bow your head too. He upped the ante for bass players the same way Hendrix, Van Halen, Rhoads and Page did for guitarists.

I live in Dresher, in Upper Dublin Montco. I have been in the area about 7 years. I am originally from Albany, NY.

Archived