Gibson Brands Forums

108 pickup swap?

marcbc

I got a pair of seymour duncan pickups for my sheraton and attemted installing them with the cheat method>(didnt work) so i brought it to my local guitar shop and they put them in but they charged me 108 dollars does this seem like a lot of money for this or is it pretty standard?

Thats about £55 i think,

Cost my mate £60 to rewire his guitar and he just screwed the pickups in him self. They did all the soldering complete including tone knobs vol knobs toggle switch pickup wiring too. Would say its a bit steep but not to bad. Its only soldering few wires.

Think my luiether chargers £40 to change all pickups inc wiring ect.

I got a pair of seymour duncan pickups for my sheraton and attemted installing them with the cheat method>(didnt work) so i brought it to my local guitar shop and they put them in but they charged me 108 dollars does this seem like a lot of money for this or is it pretty standard?

If he used the cheater method, I would say it is steep. If not, than probably not. It is a lot of work.

Yeah, it's a lot of dough but like they say, working on thinlines is a *****. I once had to charge a guy $90 just to wire the output jack on a Gretsch Tennessean correctly; some previous joker had FUBARed it. He was just happy to have the guitar working properly.

1) I'm glad your Sheraton is back to playability, hope you like your new pickups

2) Always get a quote before leaving anything for service. Surprises suck

3) I consider myself an average DIY guy and have had almost no experience with electronics, yet replacing pickups (twice) on my Dot was not what I consider a big deal. I'm not sure whether I am good with my hands or there are just a lot of klutzes out there. I give it a difficulty score of 3 on a scale of 10.

Archived