Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Traditional (or, help me find a LP!)

Bradmeister

Hi, Everyone,

I have been considering buying a Les Paul on and off for a few years. I played a friend's (I think a 2000 Standard) at a practice the other day and fell in love. So, I'm on the hunt for a LP.

I have been thinking about a "Traditional," but I don't really know much about the '57 pickups. Anyone have some idea on how they would compare to a 2000 Standard? Anyone know the specs for a 2000 Standard? (Is it weight relieved or chambered?)

I have played a few Pauls since that practice, but nothing has really "spoken" to me. It could simply be the setup I'm playing on in a guitar store is not my rig. It could also be that the specs are different from the guitar I played. Or, it could be that my buddy has a guitar that was especially well made.

Anyway, I would appreciate any opinions on the Traditional as specified. (What kind of music would it be best for? Should I get it and replace the pickups? Should I look for a used one from the same era as my friend's LP?)

BTW: I'm thinking about the traditional because it is weight-relieved and not chambered. I wouldn't consider buying a chambered version because it defeats the purpose of buying a Les Paul...... I want to keep my purchase in about the $2k price range, but I have been considering a cheaper reissue, with a max of $3k.

Thanks,

Brad

The '57 Classic pickups are Alnico 2, and it gives a vintage vibe to it. It has a softer attack, but it has great "soul". Very balanced and solid tone. While the Burstbuckers on today's Standards use Alnico 5 which is a bit more powerful and brighter. It has an unbalanced airy, crispy tone. The 2000 Les Paul models are not chambered, and I believe they came with a set of Modern Classics (490R and 498T) which are also Alnico 5. The Traditional is extremely appealing due to the fact that it is NOT chambered and that it is plekd with a Plek machine that makes sure that all the frets are "correct". A chambered Les Paul will not rob it of its "soul". For some people, they notice a softer attack and that's it. As for me, I prefer an unchambered Les Paul because of its unmistakable weight and tone, but a chambered Les Paul is not a lesser version. You might have to try a whole bunch of different models to suit your style, and remember that pickups are replaceable.

+1

Don't discount a chambered LP, try them out. Basically the difference between a regular LP and a chambered one is equivalent to the difference between using slightly different pickups on the same guitar. The character of the tone is different but both are 100% Les Paul. I own both and they are both awesome guitars.

Try em both out until you find the one that speaks to you. They are out there! I've managed to find two of them!

The 490R/498T are hotter pickups so that extra "bite" might be what you are looking for rather than the smoother tone of a more vintage style pickup. Maybe that explains why you liked the 2000 but haven't found one of the new ones that you like the same. According to the descriptions provided by Gibson, which I agree with, chambered could give you that extra bite without changing pickups.

My advice: Head out to a music store and try out various models until you find the type you like best. Then try a bunch of examples of that model to find the best one out of those. People here can tell you which ones they like best but that isn't going to help you find the one that works best for you.

If you're willing to go as high as $3,000, buy either a 1957 or 1958 reissue.

They list for $3,100, you may be able to get it for less, depending on your purchasing skills.

Most reissues aren't chamberer or weight-relieved...they're true solid body guitars.

If you don't rush and search for a good one, you may find one that really sounds like an old Les Paul.

Buy it once and buy it right!

Edit: Damn it, FennRx, you beat me to it!

If you're willing to go as high as $3' date='000, buy either a [u']1957 or 1958 reissue[/u].

They list for $3,100, you may be able to get it for less, depending on your purchasing skills.

Most reissues aren't chamberer or weight-relieved...they're true solid body guitars.

If you don't rush and search for a good one, you may find one that really sounds like an old Les Paul.

Buy it once and buy it right!

Edit: Damn it, FennRx, you beat me to it!

haha you underestimate my sneakiness!

i knew if i didnt say it, you would. funny how all i do now is promote the Reissues! haha. i'm such a whore.

It's hard to get a true read on the sound when you're playing in a guitar store. When I went to a Guitar Center to play some LPs and I got a salesperson who put me in one of those little private rooms, stood guard and brought me as many different guitars as I wanted to try. I left with a new guitar that day. A 2004 Standard. Boy did he see me coming or what? It's just better when you can play somewhere where your ears don't have to filter out all the other stuff that is usually going on in a Guitar Center. Same thing when I was looking at Dr. Z amps. Found a store that sold them and low and behold they were all in a private room. Guess what happened that day...Yep I brought one home. Am I one of the ones born every minuet?

Don

It's hard to get a true read on the sound when you're playing in a guitar store. When I went to a Guitar Center to play some LPs and I got a salesperson who put me in one of those little private rooms' date=' stood guard and brought me as many different guitars as I wanted to try. I left with a new guitar that day. A 2004 Standard. Boy did he see me coming or what? It's just better when you can play somewhere where your ears don't have to filter out all the other stuff that is usually going on in a Guitar Center. Same thing when I was looking at Dr. Z amps. Found a store that sold them and low and behold they were all in a private room. Guess what happened that day...Yep I brought one home. Am I one of the ones born every minuet?

Don[/quote']

very good advice.

i will add one thing. do not shop at GC. or MF. or Burger King. they are one and the same. and they are evil.

lol

Hi Guys. Thanks for all the good advice. I have tried a few LP Standards out at GC during their Memorial Day sale. I was there a few days before and thought, never thinking it would happen: "Well, if they come down to $1800 or something on those standards I might consider buying." Lo and behold, they were selling for $1850 that day. :-) I tried a few out, but just couldn't bring myself to buy them. They were all chambered, too. It's either that, or it was the leftovers that were sub-par.

I am willing to go up to $3k, but I'm also wanting to gig with this guitar without too much fear. That's why I'm considering the Traditional. Big problem I have with that now is that I want a black one. My local store (not GC) will sell me one at a good price, but it will be a special order, and I have to take it (everybody likes bursts -- black only sells in the customs, and I don't want ebony fretboard). So, I'm concerned I might not like it and be stuck with it.

Anyway, I'll keep looking, be patient and buy something I can return if I don't like it.

BTW: I wish my local GC still had the sound-proof room. They turned that into some kind of office.... :-( I still would buy from the local guys, though...they have better prices, and local, too!

-Brad

My advice: Head out to a music store and try out various models until you find the type you like best. Then try a bunch of examples of that model to find the best one out of those. People here can tell you which ones they like best but that isn't going to help you find the one that works best for you.

+1

This is exactly what I did. I spent around 18 months shopping. It really sucked :-& I found the LP Standard was what I was looking for.

and +1 on the private room. I have found that weekday afternoons between say 2 and 4 is a good time to go, as the place is dead.

I'm also wanting to gig with this guitar

Heh! Then you might want to reconsider the chambered models - 10 lbs. doesn't sound very heavy until you wear it around your neck for three hours. If I decide to buy another LP at some point, I'll definitely be looking for one that doesn't weigh as much as the one I have.

Heh! Then you might want to reconsider the chambered models - 10 lbs. doesn't sound very heavy until you wear it around your neck for three hours. If I decide to buy another LP at some point' date=' I'll definitely be looking for one that doesn't weigh as much as the one I have.[/quote']

Amen to that!....The weight gets a little much after a while.

TrueTone, thanks for the heads up. I like Sweetwater, but still would rather not have to ship stuff all over the country. Would be good to check out one of the traditionals to make sure I want that particular model, too. Anyway, thanks for all the advice guys.

-Brad

Archived