Gibson Brands Forums

What's the wattage of the main amp you use?

Funkwire

After the megawatts above I feel somewhat stupid adding my 5W Class A tube combo (with an adjustable L-PAD as an attenuator) to this list... :-

Heck no! Nothing sounds better than a low wattage tube amp pushed into natural overdrive, especially in the studio. It's why I need a small extension cab for my Epi Valve Jr.. So's I can get that nice saturated tone at a volume that won't have my wife throwing my guitars at me! This way I can leave the Twin for gigs, the Epi for fiddling around at home or jamming with friends.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a '86 Red Knob Twin myself...got mine used in '89 though. Paid 375 for it back then...got it from a friend and he got it new.

Although even though it wasn't always so I really like mine allot now a days. I made a head for mine sometime back, but mainly keep it in it's original cab.

BTW...then again you might already know this, but when you pull the tubes out make sure you also change the impedance too....16 ohms to 8 ohms.

I use to pull the tubes out to get down to the 60 watts in the past, but to tell the truth it never really did much for me. Even the 15 watts on the low side was still pretty loud so I just quit. LOL...now a days if I pull the tubes out is just because of being cheap.

I keep it on the 100 watt side and all 4 tubes in it pretty much now. I do keep a Boss EQ with it all the time, pretty much part of the amp, plugged in via the FX loop. Very good a versatile amp IMO...like I said didn't always feel this way about this amp though. It seems to favor a love/hate relationship at first :-

Hey Mr. IansMitchell..

Removed the two middle 6L6's from my Twin' date=' set the switch to full power. Yeeow! Considerably more responsive! My clean channel has more presence.. more ballsy! Geez! I was doing this amp a disservice by keeping it at the 25 watt setting on four power tubes! Don't I feel duhhh..

Thanks for the tip, good sir![/quote']

No problem!

If yours can run the channels in paralell, try using that "presence" knob, you can REALLY get your amp to sound from voxy to JCM to whatever you want. It's amazing how it changes the sound.

Spread the word!

Got a '86 Red Knob Twin myself...got mine used in '89 though. Paid 375 for it back then...got it from a friend and he got it new.

Although even though it wasn't always so I really like mine allot now a days. I made a head for mine sometime back' date=' but mainly keep it in it's original cab.

BTW...then again you might already know this, but when you pull the tubes out make sure you also change the impedance too....16 ohms to 8 ohms.

I use to pull the tubes out to get down to the 60 watts in the past, but to tell the truth it never really did much for me. Even the 15 watts on the low side was still pretty loud so I just quit. LOL...now a days if I pull the tubes out is just because of being cheap.

I keep it on the 100 watt side and all 4 tubes in it pretty much now. I do keep a Boss EQ with it all the time, pretty much part of the amp, plugged in via the FX loop. Very good a versatile amp IMO...like I said didn't always feel this way about this amp though. It seems to favor a love/hate relationship at first default_eusa_wall.gif

IS the ohm change necessary when running both channels in parallel? If so then I MAY need to chek the back panel and fix that up. I don't wanna chew tubes if I don't have to...

Well, adjusted for inflation, I STILL got a better deal... LOL.

Are the new twins made in the USA, mexico, or china? I know my reddy's USA, but I haven't checked on others so far...

What do you mean you "made a head" for it? Took the amplifier out of the combo and put it into a head to plug speakers into?

A lot of responses and some really interesting tech talk! Thanks for all of the posts...I hope I don't get a 24-hour vacation out of this! [-o<

Seems a lot of you guys have a fender blues deluxe or hot rod deluxe. Those are pretty good sounding amps. A friend of mine want me to mod the master knob so it's not so loud from 0-2.

I was planning on doing the master volume mod on my HRD, but since I started using the GNX2 for my distortion sounds, it isn't such a priority.

I DO recommend the reverb mod, which you can find on the Hot Rod Deluxe tribute site (don't have the URL handy, but it's easily Googled). Evidently Fender brightened up the reverb circuit to make the reverb more audible at lower volumes. The downside of this is when you play the amp at a stage volume, the reverb sounds harsh. The reverb mod consists of clipping one diode on the PC board. It makes the reverb sound rounder and much more vintage.

I've been looking at the AD30VTs. How do they compare to tubes?

Get one...NOW :D

It has one tube a 12AX7.

Its a hybrid amp.

It models 11 amp models (it has effects too but I myself don't use them except for the reverb.

One of the amp models is called AC30TB (Top Boost channel of an AC30). While its in the neighborhood, its not quite there, although the speakers may have a slight affect on this.

Thats amp model I usually practice with, or the UK 70's model (after a Marshall 50 Plexi I think).

Try them out for your self, or if you do manage to get up to this area, you can check out mine.

They are mainly practice amps, although you can gig with them, depending on the conditions (how loud is your drummer, club or hall, etc size.

Although I would no try the AD15VT at a gig, unless I could mic it.

My AC30 blows both my AD amps out of the water IMO, but I do really like my AD amps, and I would gig with them ( One of those use the right tool for the job kind of thing ).

IS the ohm change necessary when running both channels in parallel? If so then I MAY need to chek the back panel and fix that up. I don't wanna chew tubes if I don't have to...

Well' date=' adjusted for inflation, I STILL got a better deal... LOL.

Are the new twins made in the USA, mexico, or china? I know my reddy's USA, but I haven't checked on others so far...

What do you mean you "made a head" for it? Took the amplifier out of the combo and put it into a head to plug speakers into?[/quote']

Yes sir it is necessary according to Fender, or my Fender manual anyhow....LOL....and just about everybody else that does this to tell the truth.

It doesn't matter where you plug in or how, has to do with the change of power by removing the tubes. I've forgotten myself a few times..... but never ran it mismatched for any real long period of time. I think I have a copy of the manual on file somewhere. If you want me to I can E-mail you a copy if you don't have one.

O...almost forgot. Yeah I made a head for mine....mainly to make it lighter but it's still heavy....some big a$$ transformers in these darn things. Still better to manage though and try out different speaker cabs.

Darn I'm getting senile......almost forgot again. Not 100% sure where the Twin Reverb RI is made, heard some folks say it's MIM and some in the USA. Never really bother to check truth be told...LOL....they sound so good to me I don't really care.......definitely not Chinese.

LOL....we are pushing this to the limit I think. Guess just a matter of time before :D

Archived