Gibson Brands Forums

What's the wattage of the main amp you use?

Funkwire

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My fender twin is almost exclusively run in 50 watt mode unless I need to be ultra clean over a drummer or wanna sound liek SRV.

Wish I could push a button and sound like SRV.

I use a Crate 33 watt tube amp usually set on 2, guitar on 2. I need something smaller.

I'm looking at an Egnater Tourmaster combo, you can get down to 15 watts or up to 100. Or a Fender Princeton 15, yes I know, very different sizes.

Anyone experience with the Princeton, is the Blues Jr at all similar?

a 10 watt, single EL34 custom build I bought from a guy. Blues monster. gain @ 9 o'clock, master volume @ 11 o'clock it's clean enough with guitar volume at 5 but gets a growl at 10. If you kick up the Master, it gets raunchy. Bringing up the gain just makes it muscle up. A Keeley-mod Blues Driver kicks overdrive straight into the sounds coming out off a CD. At volume levels my apartment's neighbors can live with, even if they would rather not. It dearly loves a P-90 Junior or doublecut, doesn't matter whether you want to slide or glide, this thing is better than either Vjr, or Blackheart. Think Blackheart on steroids, with an attitude.

My main is a 15 watts Fender blues junior...since 3-4 weeks only... Had 40 watts Fender HR Deluxe..was to loud...had a 60 watts fender HR DeVille 4X10...way to loud... I gig with my 15 watts Jr ( mic in most gigs ) and it's perfect. I can use the tubes to cutting perfectly as the volume is higher. The last 12 months, I was playing with a 50 watts A-B Valvestate AVT 50 Marshall, but I could'nt really have this tubes sound, even if that Marshall was'nt bad at all...I still have it at home and still practicing on it. I'm more than happy with my Blues Jr. I was worried to buy it at first because of his low wattage, but believe me it's loud enough to play "against" our drummer...lollll

I also have a Roland cube 30 that I love to practice with.

5 watt silverface vibro champ and 15 watt blues junior (both fender)

also have a fender blackface bandmaster head found on the curb...powers up but will need a full work-up

when I get the money together...can't remember how many more watts that is, maybe it's 40?

My two tube amps are bargain basement sleepers IMO.

Crate Blue Voodoo 60 watt head and a Laney GH 50 watt head.

The Crate I use my Pod XT into and it works very much like an Atomic amp +XT combo.

Covers alot of ground and convincingly and the tube 60 watts is loud enough for any big gig and does near as well at about 5-10 watts.

My Laney GH 50 L is a Monster 1 channel amp with boostable gain and easily is as loud as any 100 watt tube amp.

This amp isnt so nice at low volumes but from mid level on its a Killer Hot British amp.

I need a 5 watt Blackheart mini stack I believe. After spending time in GC with a few I really dig them.

I'm guessing there will be a lot of 5 watt VJs on this board!

VJr. V3 head w/2 custom 2x12 cabs (as either 2x12 or 4x12 depending on needs).

VJr. is 5 watts class A single-ended --- which is roughly equal to 18 watts of push-pull (A/:) amps and is loud enough with my cabs for small clubs or mic it for larger venues. Pound it and tame it using a Keeley/Boss BD-2 or POD but always run those valves HOT (1 0-clock to max) for delicious slices of creamy and crunchy blues tone.

VJr. V3 is an amazing valve amp platform -- value priced.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

My Riviera era Twin II or my Dual Showman head, I use the same twin cabinate with the 2 12s. Very loud.

Taking to gigs my Traynor Blue YCV50. Very loud.

For home and recording, My Laney VC30 210, Vox Cambridge 210, or Peavey Envoy traded even for my Bandit too big and loud for home.

At my age and level of competence there won't be any giggin' so amps are just for home and practice.

I have a Cube 20X for electric which is mostly run with the power squeezer, or in other words just 2 amps output.

My other amp is an Ashton 30 watt (2 channel) acoustic which is beautiful matched with my Epi EJ300SCE acoustic.

A couple more guitar purchase and my main GAS pains should be sated and then I might save for a good tube amp, although I probably don't need it (need vs want) but then I probably don't need a range of guitars either. It sure is nice to have them though ~

Dig

15w Behringer most of the time.

Keep an all tube "70's" Music Man 410 130w around for when I need it.

I just don't need it as often as I would like anymore.

For recording I just run through an overdrive into a D.I. box straight into the board and monitor over the studio p.a.

Archived