Gibson Brands Forums

"Historic" SG Beveling

charlie brown

CB I think there are some inbetween examples...like my 72' special here. Clearly not as deep as the 60's models...but much deeper than the current models to my eyes.

No' date=' the current Gibsons have gone back to a late sixties contour and the beveling is more pronounced than the seventies guitars. At least my SG Classic from 2006 has more pronounced scarfs than my 1978 Standard or my (stolen) 1973 Standard. Check the [i']back[/i] of the guitar too; in the seventies they didn't scarf the backs of the cutaways at all.

SGClassic2.jpg

SG.jpg

...I really need to lighten that second pic up a bit.

CB.........Just read the title of the thread and not the responses... So, I may be off the general opinion here.

VOS please..... The contour OR beveling that you refer to, makes the SG IMO.... The original was contoured right into the pickguard and you could play to the 22nd fret very easily. If you're going for "high ride" you just jerk your left shoulder down, to adjust the strap forward and the neck dips and its like you're playing around the 7th fret....

Love the memories...............J

CB.........Just read the title of the thread and not the responses... So' date=' I may be off the general opinion here.

VOS please..... The contour OR beveling that you refer to, makes the SG IMO.... The original was contoured right into the pickguard and you could play to the 22nd fret very easily. If you're going for "high ride" you just jerk your left shoulder down, to adjust the strap forward and the neck dips and its like you're playing around the 7th fret....

Love the memories...............J[/quote']

Yeah, Jepi...I agree. WHY they changed it, in the first place is a mystery!

Hopefully some of this will filter down, to people who make those decisions,

and Epiphone (Gibson, too) will decide to go back that way? LOL! Yeah,

I KNOW....I'm DREAMING! But, one never knows.

CB

No' date=' the current Gibsons have gone back to a late sixties contour and the beveling is more pronounced than the seventies guitars. At least my SG Classic from 2006 has more pronounced scarfs than my 1978 Standard or my (stolen) 1973 Standard. Check the [i']back[/i] of the guitar too; in the seventies they didn't scarf the backs of the cutaways at all.

SGClassic2.jpg

SG.jpg

Man, Spud...everytime I see your "Classic" I want to get one, myself.

Nice SG's, you have there. Just wish we could get Gibson and Epiphone

to go back the early '60's beveling and scarfs, on normal production

models, that is. They were so cool looking, and more comfortable, too!

CB

SGClassic2.jpg

SG.jpg

I don't know what you're smokin' but look at my 72 and tell me it's not deeper bevel than the the 2 you pictured? Especially the bottom one. I was also speaking of both Gibby and Epi models in general....but based on many 70's that I've seen there is an inbetween level! The back is flat but the contours are deeper than most....that was my point...and it was an originall finish as well.GibsonSg003.jpg

I don't know what you're smokin' but look at my 72 and tell me it's not deeper bevel than the the 2 you pictured? Especially the bottom one. I was also speaking of both Gibby and Epi models in general....but based on many 70's that I've seen there is an inbetween level! The back is flat but the contours are deeper than most....that was my point...and it was an originall finish as well.GibsonSg003.jpg

That's the way I remember my 72 as well LB.

While I love the deeper/wider bevels and deeper cut scarfs, to be honest, they would not make or break me buying an SG style regardless of manufacturer. To be completely honest, the necks always left something to be desired for me. Nice looking group of guitars though, particularly the one in Jepis post.

My '68 Standard had the more pronounced scarfs and bevels, but not as much so, as a '61-65.

Still, it was a nice looking SG. I do prefer the heals/neck joints on the newer ones, as well as

the '61 and VOS models. There was some concern, that the new VOS ones, would suffer the

"weaker" neck joints, but the ones I've seen seem quite sturdy, indeed! My new Japanese

'61 is just fine, that way. Well, it's great, overall! ;>) LOL! So...hopefully, Gibson solved that

problem, years ago?

CB

Archived