Gibson Brands Forums

Eminence vs Weber in Vjr.

jman99

I have a V2 Vjr. It's ok, better with eq and a little verb. Do the V3's actually sound significantly

better and how much of this is from the different speaker? I just wish the Vjr was not so mid rich

in it's tone and trying to get a way with less mids without major surgery.

I sold my V2 combo and my V1 head with mods when I got the new V3 combo - I think it FINALLY sounds wonderful. No mods needed IMO. The speaker is fantastic - the tubes are sweet and the sound is rich and lush.

Yup they corrected that in the version 3 and it sounds very nice stock.......good advice strangedogs....he could probably sell the head to someone looking to mod it and buy a version 3 for less than it would cost to install a Hammond OT in the version 2.

Yeah my head had a BRITE switch, a GAIN switch and a STANDBY already added when I bought it. The original owner had also added JJ Tubes (originals were Sovtek I believe - he gave me those too - they're here somewhere in this mess in my spare bedroom/music studio)... When I heard the V3 Combo I knew it was going to go too along with my V2 Combo - sold the head for $140 (BIN) and the Combo I got $110 (BIN) for on Ebay. I get better prices cause my feedback is 525 with 100% positive and I do up detailed HTML with lots of pix and I did sound clips too - It really helps sell an amp...

I paid $92 for my V3 Combo and it was a local dude so I picked it up with NO SHIPPING (Schaweeet). I'm waiting on my L-Pad right now - am installing it and HOPEFULLY am going to start buying up V3's and adding Attenuators (L-Pads) and reselling 'em! May want to do a Brite mod too for the L-Pad "sucking treble" issues.

V3 VALVE JUNIORS with built-in Attenuators (heads and combos both) will sell I have no doubts.

Do the V3's actually sound significantly better and how much of this is from the different speaker? I just wish the Vjr was not so mid rich in it's tone and trying to get a way with less mids without major surgery.

1. stock? Then V3 sounds better than V2. And' date=' better still with a tube upgrade to open up additional headroom.

2. Speakers make considerable tone difference. Cabs play a part too -- generally small enclosure/open back for brighter. Speaker tone differs brand-to-brand, but it has mostly to do with ohms, wattage, and db sensitivity ratings. For example, with my V3, my Celestion Vintage 30 and my Eminence Legend both are better clean/lead than either my Eminence Cannabis Rex or Weber/Peavey Blue Marvel --- both of which I dearly love for exactly the reasons you would hate them --- creamy smooth bluesy mids and that greasy, ol' steamshovel driving blues thump.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

What tubes you reakon really open up the head room on the valve junior?? (I have the V3 combo)

Do you mean more clean volume before break up. Not great with amp talk. Quite new to the scene and i want my valve junior to perform at its best.

I play classic rock from 80's but would like more clean volume before break up. My Vox AD-30-VT does for all the heavier stuff i wanna play like van halen stuff ect.......

Thanks

There were a couple of things that made my v.2 combo come to life.

1. Switched tubes for JJs and added a lower gain tube in the preamp for more clean headroom.

2. Replaced stock speaker with a weber

3. Replaced OT with a Hammond

4. Put Mallory 150's on C1 and C2

5. Switched R1 to 1M and R2 to 10K

6. Purchased a weber attentuator

7. Pruchased a Fulltone OCD pedal.

I didn't mean to make all these mods. It just kind of happened. You start investing in mods and then you can't stop--in part because once you start sinking money into the amp, it is too painful to turn back.

My biggest problem was that the amp was only going to be used at bedroom levels. Once I managed to get a great warm tone from the amp (clean), then I looked at how to get a great tone in overdrive. I couldn't find the right tone (the distortion was way too muddy). I decided the OCD pedal was the way to go. The pedal rocks. It was by far the best investment and really complements the amp and my guitar (Gibson LP).

What next? Add a speaker output for a cab and perhaps a eq pedal. Then I am done.

I highly recommend the OCD pedal. Very natural tube-like overdrive sound. Also, it was a long-term investment. Mostly likely I will buy a Fender Blues Jr. or Peavey Classic 30 in the near future and I figure the OCD pedal will come in handy with those more powerful amps.

One piece of advice for anyone thinking of modifying their amp...go slow. Don't do all of it at once. And be prepared to run into problems as you modify . I had a few nights where I couldn't get the amp to work after switching out a handful of resistors and caps. At one point I had smoke coming out of the amp...which is always fun.

It's a labor of love.

There were a couple of things that made my v.2 combo come to life.

1. Switched tubes for JJs and added a lower gain tube in the preamp for more clean headroom.

2. Replaced stock speaker with a weber

3. Replaced OT with a Hammond

4. Put Mallory 150's on C1 and C2

5. Switched R1 to 1M and R2 to 10K

6. Purchased a weber attentuator

7. Pruchased a Fulltone OCD pedal.

I didn't mean to make all these mods. It just kind of happened. You start investing in mods and then you can't stop--in part because once you start sinking money into the amp' date=' it is too painful to turn back.

My biggest problem was that the amp was only going to be used at bedroom levels. Once I managed to get a great warm tone from the amp (clean), then I looked at how to get a great tone in overdrive. I couldn't find the right tone (the distortion was way too muddy). I decided the OCD pedal was the way to go. The pedal rocks. It was by far the best investment and really complements the amp and my guitar (Gibson LP).

What next? Add a speaker output for a cab and perhaps a eq pedal. Then I am done.

I highly recommend the OCD pedal. Very natural tube-like overdrive sound. Also, it was a long-term investment. Mostly likely I will buy a Fender Blues Jr. or Peavey Classic 30 in the near future and I figure the OCD pedal will come in handy with those more powerful amps.

One piece of advice for anyone thinking of modifying their amp...go slow. Don't do all of it at once. And be prepared to run into problems as you modify . I had a few nights where I couldn't get the amp to work after switching out a handful of resistors and caps. At one point I had smoke coming out of the amp...which is always fun.

It's a labor of love.

[/quote']

And it's fun! Smoke is better than an intermittent problem....with smoke you know right where to look! ](*,)

Archived