Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone headed to Music City this w/e?

SilverLesterStd

Is anyone here going to Summer Jam this weekend? Some guy in a top hat is supposed to play on Friday with some dude who's brother had a hit once or twice. I think the songs were "Free Ride" and "Frankenstein." Some Winter fellow. Also heard a guitar guy from some band, Allison Ropes or chains or something is coming too.

I am so stoked to be seeing Johnny Winter, Slash & Jerry Cantrell this weekend. I guess since NAMM is there as well, there'll be axeists to be named later as well.

I've now gotta come up with an agenda to entertain my son (music related) before the afternoon festivities start. Any ideas? Any of you Nashville Cats (high as mountain dew) got any suggestions? Chan? Jomo?

I really doubt we'll get to actually meet his Slashness. That's OK. I've never actually met any of my Guitar Heros. I just want to see and hear those guys. Jerry Cantrell is another fave of mine. There are plenty of other guitarists along with a corporate band battle.

I'm going to check with the event staff to see if my son can play in the open jam on Friday. He doesn't know it yet.

I really doubt we'll get to actually meet his Slashness. That's OK. I've never actually met any of my Guitar Heros. I just want to see and hear those guys. Jerry Cantrell is another fave of mine. There are plenty of other guitarists along with a corporate band battle.

I'm going to check with the event staff to see if my son can play in the open jam on Friday. He doesn't know it yet.

Haha, I was planing to gate crash backstage of the Velvet Revolver tour, Id be planning the same if I was you hehe. Is it an outside event on a little stage or a stadium or something?

Id find someway to meet him haha, being the massive fan I am.

Haha, I was planing to gate crash backstage of the Velvet Revolver tour, Id be planning the same if I was you hehe. Is it an outside event on a little stage or a stadium or something?

Id find someway to meet him haha, being the massive fan I am.

Sorry for the slow post... storm took out the interweb thingy last night. How old is your son? You could easily spend 4 hours at Opry Mills Mall (home of the Gibson Showcase). Alternatively... if you are into more touristy things, hit downtown and do a walkabout.... check out the Wildhorse, Tootsie's and Gruhn's... or go see the Country Music Hall of Fame...

...any of that sound good?

Also, check THIS for some of the club-venue type activities. It wouldn't surprise me to see "some one" on stage at one of the various clubs in town, given what all is going on....

Sorry for the slow post... storm took out the interweb thingy last night. How old is your son? You could easily spend 4 hours at Opry Mills Mall (home of the Gibson Showcase). Alternatively... if you are into more touristy things' date=' hit downtown and do a walkabout.... check out the Wildhorse, Tootsie's and Gruhn's... or go see the Country Music Hall of Fame...

...any of that sound good?

Also, check THIS for some of the club-venue type activities. It wouldn't surprise me to see "some one" on stage at one of the various clubs in town, given what all is going on....

ChanMan - I understand totally. The bolt thingy from the air zapped my cable kamodem. Thanks for the reply! Yes, Opry Mills Mall sounds like the place. My little guy is only seven. I would love to hit the clubs, but the law probably wouldn’t agree. My wife started dialysis Tuesday and will not be going now. If her sweet Mom hadn't arrived tonight from Ohio, I would be home as well. My only outside chance is if my brother goes, which I doubt. I'm OK with that though. My son likes music shops and is well behaved in them.

Are Wildhorse, Tootsie's guitar or music shops? I know about Gruhn's. My boy it yet to develop a taste for country. Heck, I don't even know the attire desired at the Jam.

Thanks for the ideas Chan! I'm sure we'll find plenty to do out of your list.

Geetar_Axl - Not doing any breaking & entering. Those days have set sail. I have no idea what the venue is like.

guitarslinger - I didn't know that about JW. I used to listen to his records back in the 80s when he was smokin' hot. I'll let you know how he does. Don't expect much critism from me. I love watching the old guys play. They've paid their dues, as the very old saying goes.

littlekenny - Slash moved from Saturday's main entertainment to being JW's special guest on Saturday. It'll be cool to see them together. Jerry "the man" Cantrell is performing possibly with a gob of others on Saturday night. Cantrell blows me away! I hope he does Rooster or some others from Alice in Chains. Guys like Billy Morrison, Billy Duffy, Matt Sorum, Chris Chaney, Brett Scallions + surprise guests. I like Duffy's licks well.

I'll post the enjoyment factor when I return to the great hash state of Georgia. :D

I never got my parking pass or tickets so I guess I'll stay home and enjoy the weekend, Hey you Illinois guys if

you go and plan on having a few adult beverages at the show be aware Tenn security does not recoginize

the extention sticker on the back of your drivers licence. no drinky for you. I was denied a arm band last year

BECAUSE I AM A GOOD DRIVER!!!!

Enjoy the show

ChanMan - I understand totally. The bolt thingy from the air zapped my cable kamodem. Thanks for the reply! Yes' date=' Opry Mills Mall sounds like the place. My little guy is only seven. I would love to hit the clubs, but the law probably wouldn’t agree. My wife started dialysis Tuesday and will not be going now. If her sweet Mom hadn't arrived tonight from Ohio, I would be home as well. My only outside chance is if my brother goes, which I doubt. I'm OK with that though. My son likes music shops and is well behaved in them. OH... and they had a vos r8 last time I was there...

Are Wildhorse, Tootsie's guitar or music shops? I know about Gruhn's. My boy it yet to develop a taste for country. Heck, I don't even know the attire desired at the Jam.

Thanks for the ideas Chan! I'm sure we'll find plenty to do out of your list.

[/quote']

Both the Wildhorse and Tootsie's are food and beverage establishments where you can chance running into "someone" or see a bit of Nashville history. For music stores, there is a Guitar Center at 100 Oaks Mall (just off of I-65 S) and there is a Sam Ash (about a mile straight shot of off I-65 N, but about 12 miles outside of Nashville proper.) Sam Ashe might be worth the trip just to visit their "Shred Room".... all the way in the back, where they have several stacks/half stacks and various shred guitars available. They expect you to crank it up!

There is also a pretty cool little shop called Corner Music . I haven't been there in years (I have been shopping for my LP O:) !) but last time I was there it was a pretty cool place.

Would love to get down to the Gibson Showcase this weekend, but I am not sure my schedule will allow :(.

I never got my parking pass or tickets so I guess I'll stay home and enjoy the weekend' date=' Hey you Illinois guys if

you go and plan on having a few adult beverages at the show be aware Tenn security does not recoginize

the extention sticker on the back of your drivers licence. no drinky for you. I was denied a arm band last year

BECAUSE I AM A GOOD DRIVER!!!!

Enjoy the show [/quote']

Ouch! Sorry about the Land of Lincoln License. O dunno what happened, but my tickets and passes just arrived today. That was cutting it close. I leave tomorrow to go. Maybe your tickets will get there today or tomorrow. I hope so.

ChanMan - Give me a post or a PM if your schedule frees up. Maybe we can visit someplace together. I should have at least one LP in tow.

Archived