Gibson Brands Forums

Changes in the Masterbilt guitars

Grandpa Larry

Way to go, man!

truth is I'm told I don't have that many years left so I want all my kids and grand kids to have at least one of my instruments to maybe remember me by. I'm ok with that, it's just the reality of life.

I'm also thinking of getting myself an IB64 Texan just to have around. Any suggestions as to where is the best place to snag one ?

I got mine at Guitar Center. I took home the one I demoed which was the display model. It had only been on display for a week.

Thanks, my problem with that is I live about 300 miles from the closest one. So I will have to gamble with getting one online and hope for the best. Did you try out all of them GC had or did you just play the one you got and knew that was the one ?

Thanks, my problem with that is I live about 300 miles from the closest one. So I will have to gamble with getting one online and hope for the best. Did you try out all of them GC had or did you just play the one you got and knew that was the one ?

They had two...the one that I demoed and one in a box. They brought out the one in the box, but it had a flaw in the 3rd fret marker. That marker looked good when viewed straight on, but from the angle while playing it looked dull. I think the marker hadn't been cut properly. They both played exactly the same.

Those early Masterbilts were very remarkable guitars.

That certainly goes for my 'earliest' of the 2004-2010 Masterbilt production run - the 2003 maple/spruce EF-500PNS. Apparently the maple EFs were only made in 2003, and never went into full production like the mahoganies and rosewoods. I guess they made some maple DRs during the main run, and they seem to be rare too.

I also have a November 2009 mahogany/spruce EF-500MNS, near the end of the run. Cliffenstein clued me in on this guitar that was in "used gear, newly arrived" at some GuitarCenter down in New Mexico or someplace, supposed to be in great condition. I took the plunge. It turned out to be in better than great condition. Really excellent craftsmanship, like new. Thanks, Cliff, haha.

It's the 1.75" nut I like on the EFs, so I'm naturally interested in this AJ-500RC you guys are talking about. There don't seem to be many of those around either!

Pic of the 2003 maple, note bound headstock...

pns109.jpg

That certainly goes for my 'earliest' of the 2004-2010 Masterbilt production run - the 2003 maple/spruce EF-500PNS. Apparently the maple EFs were only made in 2003, and never went into full production like the mahoganies and rosewoods. I guess they made some maple DRs during the main run, and they seem to be rare too.

I also have a November 2009 mahogany/spruce EF-500MNS, near the end of the run. Cliffenstein clued me in on this guitar that was in "used gear, newly arrived" at some GuitarCenter down in New Mexico or someplace, supposed to be in great condition. I took the plunge. It turned out to be in better than great condition. Really excellent craftsmanship, like new. Thanks, Cliff, haha.

It's the 1.75" nut I like on the EFs, so I'm naturally interested in this AJ-500RC you guys are talking about. There don't seem to be many of those around either.

Talk about hens teeth...I didn't even knows that the EF maple body existed. What a rare find. Speaking to the current state of the line, my preference would be to try and find an early model (although the DR500MCE I purchased in early 2012 is a supurb instrument).

I have one with the hard gig bag and honestly, I prefer not to have to unzip a case and I never use the hydrometer.

I have one with the hard gig bag and honestly, I prefer not to have to unzip a case and I never use the hydrometer.

Oh, the Masterbilt cases are impressive looking, with that gorgeous stitching, but.... I don't like them either. The maple EF came in one, but when I recently sold my RA, I sold it with the Masterbilt case and put the maple in the hsc that the RA came in. Yeah, the zippers were kind of a pain, and the hygrometer was like one you could pick up for 5 bucks on ebay - I never used it either. I expect a hsc is better at holding humidity inside and keeping out low humidity air. With winter finally making an appearance, humidity outside is not problematic (currently 70%), but it's also currently 16 degrees F out there! It's nice and warm inside, but with the result that the inside humidity is around 20%. I picked up a room humidifier, but it can't really compete with the forced-air heater. I've got in-case home-made humidifiers that keep the guitars around the mid-40%s. Still, this low inside the house humidity makes me a little anxious.

I didn't even knows that the EF maple body existed.

I figure not many were made, never catalogued, and only made in 2003 before the regular Masterbilt production run of 2004-2010. They were never offered for commercial sale. I feel pretty lucky to have gotten this one. Like your tip below for the maple DR, somebody on this board pointed out that it was up on ebay. I bought-it-now about 5 minutes later. It was expensive, but you only live once, it's only money, yada yada yada.

I just saw on Ebay a DR500-P described as mint condition. Pawn seller but looks like a find for such a rare model. I bring it to the forum so we can keep it in the family. I have no affilitation with the seller.

Man, that does look like mint condition, just like my maple EF. June 2004. Gorgeous. They're asking $700 and $75 shipping. Pretty steep, but you only live once, etc. I notice newbie forum member BoneDigger mentioned he had a 2005 maple DR back in 2012. The maple really gives you a great tone. Who's going to pull the trigger on that DR? [thumbup]

My DR500MNA built in November of 2007 at the GR (GREE) Farida plant in China and definitely has a bone saddle and nut.

The nut is shaped and slotted to absolute perfection

The saddle is compensated and the radius is perfectly shaped. Checked with an accurate radius gauge.

The kerfeling is precision cut and glued as well as the thin scalloped bracing and both show absolutely no signs of glue anywhere.

The grain of the Mahogany back and sides is tight, straight with no runout. The top has a very tight straight grain and is bookmatched flawlessly.

The headstock inlays are very color luminous and it has a gloss finish as well.

The fret work is flawless as well.

I added the "Gibson style" pickguard and bone string bins

In conclusion, I suppose maybe depending on where each particular instrument was built may determine how good the construction was done.

I had the same guitar back in 2004 only it had an all satin finish verses my current one with a gloss top and satin back and sides. It also was beautifully constructed as well and I sold it almost right away because

I was a fool who thought headstock vanity was important, That was a huge mistake but luckily I found this one that I WILL NEVER part ways with.

I know that Farida makes some very nice instruments with their name on the headstock.

tn_zps37e0952f.jpg

DSCN3032_zps3775dd73.jpg

DSCN3031_zpsa6132e74.jpg

that pickguard looks perfect

I figure not many were made, never catalogued, and only made in 2003 before the regular Masterbilt production run of 2004-2010. They were never offered for commercial sale. I feel pretty lucky to have gotten this one. Like your tip below for the maple DR, somebody on this board pointed out that it was up on ebay. I bought-it-now about 5 minutes later. It was expensive, but you only live once, it's only money, yada yada yada.

Man, that does look like mint condition, just like my maple EF. June 2004. Gorgeous. They're asking $700 and $75 shipping. Pretty steep, but you only live once, etc. I notice newbie forum member BoneDigger mentioned he had a 2005 maple DR back in 2012. The maple really gives you a great tone. Who's going to pull the trigger on that DR? [thumbup]

$700...worth every penny. I paid $700 for my DR500-P earlier this year, and have absolutely no regrets. I believe mine was an estate sale. I know the previous owner was a collector. If you are an high end Epiphone aficionado, this is as good as it gets. I thought about buying this one on the spot, but then I though about my wife's reaction and reality set in...he he he.

Archived