Gibson Brands Forums

Epi. SG Special

OhioSlashFan

I know ultimately the decision is mine' date=' but is a 4 yr old SG Special worth $50. I have seen them, but never picked one up or played one. They go for $179 at GC new. I know that they are bottom of the line for Epi. would you or wouldn't you? Thanks[/quote']

I wouldn't even bother with the special unless your a beginner, no matter how cheap it is. BTW for 4 years old I'd pay thirty dollars at the most but that's just me.

GC

I wouldn't even bother with the special unless your a beginner' date=' no matter how cheap it is. BTW for 4 years old I'd pay thirty dollars at the most but that's just me.

GC[/quote'] I currently have a Custom Epi. Les Paul, I'm not really a beginner, but not a pro either. I was just wondering if the SG would be worth it.

I currently have a Custom Epi. Les Paul' date=' I'm not really a beginner, but not a pro either. I was just wondering if the SG would be worth it.[/quote']

Yeah I'm no where near pro but above a beginner as well. But I would get the g400 instead of the special. More expensive but way better than the special and a better value imo.

GC

Yeah I'm no where near pro but above a beginner as well. But I would get the g400 instead of the special. More expensive but way better than the special and a better value imo.

GC

True, i have been looking at them on and off, alot lately (maybe that;s telling me something) and i can get a g-400 vintage new for $260. i'd have to drop p-90's in right off the bat. i do have a chance to get a used 310 with an Epi. Valve Junior combo amp for $250, but if i'm gonna put out that much for a SG i want to get one w/set neck. although that is a good deal.

True' date=' i have been looking at them on and off, alot lately (maybe that;s telling me something) and i can get a g-400 vintage new for $260. i'd have to drop p-90's in right off the bat. i do have a chance to get a used 310 with an Epi. Valve Junior combo amp for $250, but if i'm gonna put out that much for a SG i want to get one w/set neck. although that is a good deal.[/quote']

Wow a g400 for 260? At my store its like 340. Maybe the store I go to just has really high prices. Yeah, I'd jump on the g400. Those p90s will sound good. If you get it you gotta post pics.

GC

Wow a g400 for 260? At my store its like 340. Maybe the store I go to just has really high prices. Yeah' date=' I'd jump on the g400. Those p90s will sound good. If you get it you gotta post pics.

GC[/quote'] It's a 310. the G-310 and amp are used, but the Valve Junior is $200 new alone. it's only 5watts of tube power, but i am hearing nothing but good thing's about it

get it and use to experiment with other pickups. i use an old copy to try out pups in. good soldering practice too.
That's kind of what i was thinking. I certainly dont NEED it, there is no comparison from the SG to what i have. An extra guitar to play around, experiment with. My 8 year old nephew wants a guitar like mine, but he'd probably be happy w/SG.

Archived