Gibson Brands Forums

Do I want a Vjr?

Gashole

I have the BC30.....is there some mojo factor with the Vjr's that I should feel compelled to add one to the herd?

The lack of reverb is tough for me, but I bet it's nice w/ the some slapback.

Just wondering, since these are so accesibly priced...(GAS attack)

But really- other than difference in weight and such, is there a reason to have both?

The touch-sensitivity of the VJR is pretty unique.

Gotta try it, it's an amp with one volume control, and yet you don't even want for a single pedal.

outboard EQ does it wonders too, though. I've even tried the EQ between the amp and speaker, which is pretty useful, though CAN'T be good for anyting...

" I've even tried the EQ between the amp and speaker, which is pretty useful, though CAN'T be good for anyting...[/"

You know that is a bigtime BOZO NONO don't you??? You'll fry an output transformer doing that. Put the EQ ahead of the amp or insert it in an effects loop if your amp has one,but NEVER put any pedals between the amp and speaker!!!

Gas,

I have a ver 1 combo and the only thing I can tell you is I love it. I haven't had any other tube amp, so I can't give you a comparison review. I purchased mine with mods complete for $200 and I think it was money very well spent. I went with the combo so I could eventually hook-up to a cab, but still have the convenience to move one piece of equipment should I go to someones house to jam or practice.

Oh, and the Wildcat plugged into this amp - Kick @ss.

I run my RP350 with this amp and can get some great sounds out of it and I don't even know what the hell I'm doing.

I'm intrigued...if it can get voxey I'm definitely intrigued....I can't seem to ever hang on to cash long enough for it to amass into enough for a AC30 or AC15, so I like going this route..

OK, Strum goes with the combo...I lean naturally that way too...how about you other guys though....stack vs combo...pros and cons other than the moving of physical objects to a fro? Obviously the combo is easier to move around...I guess the speaker is different too....12" for the cab...8" for the combo...I imagine the 8 is more treble and the 12 more bassy?

All in all, it would be easier to lug than the BC30....I'll need a reverb unit though....anybody add a spring reverb to it? Is that in any of the mods?

I bet I have one of these babies by my birthday in December...think I'll make a point of it....

BUT- isn't there a new line coming out soon? Should I wait?

I'm intrigued...if it can get voxey I'm definitely intrigued....I can't seem to ever hang on to cash long enough for it to amass into enough for a AC30 or AC15' date=' so I like going this route..

OK, Strum goes with the combo...I lean naturally that way too...how about you other guys though....stack vs combo...pros and cons other than the moving of physical objects to a fro? Obviously the combo is easier to move around...I guess the speaker is different too....12" for the cab...8" for the combo...I imagine the 8 is more treble and the 12 more bassy?

All in all, it would be easier to lug than the BC30....I'll need a reverb unit though....anybody add a spring reverb to it? Is that in any of the mods?

I bet I have one of these babies by my birthday in December...think I'll make a point of it....

BUT- isn't there a new line coming out soon? Should I wait?

[/quote']

The valve sr is supposed to be out next month and we'll see......but the JR is a different animal as has been stated.....I think you'll like it and @$149 or so you don't have much to lose IMHO! The 8" vs 12" speaker thing get's alot of attention,but if you mic an 8" speaker correctly it can sound huge! Duane's work on Layla was played through a champ with an 8" speaker!

The valve sr is supposed to be out next month and we'll see......but the JR is a different animal as has been stated.....I think you'll like it and @$149 or so you don't have much to lose IMHO! The 8" vs 12" speaker thing get's alot of attention' date='but if you mic an 8" speaker correctly it can sound huge! Duane's work on Layla was played through a champ with an 8" speaker![/quote']

The combo now runs $200 and the head runs $150. At one time wasn't the combo at $150 and the head something like $110?

£69 in uk for combo V3 and £59 for head (If i remember correctly.)

I have the V3 combo. I asked lots of questions on here and this what i gather.

The V3 combo is excactly the same as the head except for the built in speaker. In the Uk for £10 for you cant go wrong.

Both have 3 different rated outputs for connections to different cabs so can change around whatever whenever. i run mine through my 10" vox on my AD30VT sometimes as seems to give a bit of reverb to it (prob the box build and size)

The std combo speaker on my is the better sounding of the 2 deffinetly tho.

The combo now runs $200 and the head runs $150. At one time wasn't the combo at $150 and the head something like $110?

I'm still back in the old $99 price point I guess....I even got one(head) off the floor @guitar center not long ago for $75 cash out the door......so there are deals to be had on them too!

Hmmmmm...

18 watts of Class A/B power.

2 x 6V6GT power tubes, 4 x 12AX7A preamp tubes

Gain, Volume, Treble, Mid, Bass, Presence, and Reverb controls

Standby switch

4, 8, and 16-ohm speaker outs

Them's is the specs I could find for the Valve SR....I think I'll have to wait and see about that...sounds more my cup of beer.

That amp is gonna give the BC30 a serious run for its money!

Although...it's an A/B amp....wish it was switchable to A.

Would like to mate the Valve SR to the Blackheart Handsome Devil....

15 Watts, Push-Pull, Class A

Outputs: 1 x 16 ohm jack, 2 x 8 ohm jacks, 2 x 4 ohm jacks

Solid State Rectifier with tap for future mods

Drive, Level, Treble, Mid, Bass and Presence controls

Pentode (15 Watts)/Triode (7 Watts) Switch

DC Power to filaments for super quiet operation

15 ply (18mm) thick-void free plywood construction

12" Blackheart Model 1216A Speaker by Eminence with American Voicing, optimized for open back cabinet

Those are the Devil's specs...those 2 put together would just be about perfect.

" I've even tried the EQ between the amp and speaker' date=' which is pretty useful, though CAN'T be good for anyting...[/"

You know that is a bigtime BOZO NONO don't you??? You'll fry an output transformer doing that. Put the EQ ahead of the amp or insert it in an effects loop if your amp has one,but NEVER put any pedals between the amp and speaker!!!

[/quote']

I had it in there 30 mins and then realized it could bad, haven't since.

I hate to have to tell you guys this, but the BC30's "class A" mode is marketing hype. They're class AB amps with maybe 420v on the plates. The switch in question is actually a pentode/triode switch. Even the schematic correctly labels switch #5: "pentode".

For all those still unconvinced, or still also believing Vox AC15 and AC30's are class A, I suggest reading this Aiken Amps article http://www.aikenamps.com/ClassA.htm

Even the VJr is closer to AB than class A in terms of voltage on the plate.

Anyway, you can throw the same BC30-style pentode/triode switch on the Valve Senior if you want a half power switch. You can even label it class A if you want, but we'll know better. :-({|= If it's cathode biased, as I suspect since it isn't considered a 22w amp like the Fender Deluxe, you can use separate bias resistors and bypass caps, and add a switch (and some pop-reducing resistors) on the caps to give you a potentially more useful full/half/quarter power switch.

Yes, the BC30 is cathode biased, so you can use the quarter-power'der switch mod on that amp, too.

Gil...

Archived