Gibson Brands Forums

bravo! on the double EE LPs

Steven Lister

Just returned from a morning tryout of 3 new Epi LPs -- all EE -- two standards, one jr. Very nice workmanship on all 3 and the shop setups were okay. One standard flameburst was a bit thick on the poly, noticeably thicker when compared with the other two. It sure catches one's eye on a store wall and maybe that's why they did it? Impulse sales.

All 3 were featherweights (felt at least 2 kg. lighter by comparison with my '03 Elite LP) so that must be the new trend -- but not for me. Guitars, Cadillacs, and Harleys..., if they ain't heavy, then they ain't in my stable.

Weight issue aside, each one could have easily been tweaked to suit most every player -- so, for the $$ = GREAT BARGAINS. Bravo EPI!:(

Only regret was that I didn't haul my V3 VJr. and custom 2x12 to play through. Small shop didn't have much in way of valve amps (or SS) but I didn't think it would be any big deal once I spied a used M*rsh*ll JCM900/1960 cab collecting dust in the corner. A truly disappointing performance (although to be fair I couldn't run it flat out in the shop like it needs to be and to top it all it needed a complete tune-up). But, to all of you out there drooling over high $$ amps, you're missing out on a tone bonanza bargain if you don't have a V3 VJr. Cleans to maximum overdrive my V3 rig put that big, bad M*rsh*ll to shame (and a couple of other brands that I won't mention here).:- :- :-

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Steven, I bought an EE (made at the Qingdao, China factory) Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-Top VS back in

April of this year. Although not as heavy as the 1988 Gibson Alpine White Les Paul Custom I used to have until

several years back when I had to sell it, I'd say it compares in workmanship and quality. Mind you the EE

is a Chinese Standard compared to an American Custom, but I have to say the Chinese are doing a great job

of manufacturing a guitar that has great playability and sound in it's stock form. The only thing I changed on

my EE LP Standard was the volume and tone knobs (I hate those stock ones) and added classy looking black

top hats with the silver tops that have the words Volume and Tone printed on them and markers. I play mine

through a Fender Stage 160 and the sound of the guitar is great. Luckily I bought mine before the price increase.

MF had the Standard then for $449.00. I got mine for $399.00 at Alto Music in Middletown, NY. Now MF is advertising the Epi LP Standard for $549.00. So the price went up $100.00 since April 2008.:(

I know the EE's have been on the shelf for awhile now, but these were the first ones I have played.

Impressive quality and really nice players for the price.

A string change to my choice of .012 DR Pure Blues (come w/wound 3rds) and I would tour with any of the three I tried. They were excellent working musician's tools.

-- and I'll just go ahead and say it -- definitely on par with the average Gibby's I've tried in the last few years.

To those who own them -- good choice

... now go ahead and play it like it's a Jimi/Jimmy Thing.

A wailing valve amp is not what I think about when I hear the Kingston Trio. Stan.

Most definitely. "Song" is the KT word for those unfamiliar with their music. But the lyric suits me just fine (as do many older song lyrics unlike so much of the newer whatever-you-want-to-call-it) with my simple word substitution so it's in my signature for now.

I wonder if quality control doesn't really start until the Standards and up. Just got a White LP Studio with EE sn#. It has a couple of issues where if I was in QC I would put it in the b-stock pile and not let it out the door as new. It has some scratching on the fretboard and the neck was not sanded uniformly down where it joins to the body. I can see imperfections rather than a smooth curve. I didn't feel like going through the whole exchange process so the dealer knocked off $20 from the original price. I'm fine with it after the price cut. Sorta got b-stock price without the stamp on the headstock. Anyway, it's mine and I like it, just from my experience, I am not so sure about the EE factory.

Archived