Gibson Brands Forums

Smart BUY?????????????????????

wardog

ok. i have come to understand the art of a deal like most. But, I have to ask for everyone's opinoin. On Ebay there is a epi limited g-400 custom up. bids are low due to it being a **u-Fix**. Headstock is broke off at nut, exposing trustrod nut. Not a nice break for sure.

Question. when is a great deal like this a grab it now or save you money for something else?

I have seen some post where folks have saved their guitars from such bad dealings. But this one looks really bad, which would mean costly to repair.

Sorry, still to new and have not taken time to learn how to post photos and links.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-G-400-CUSTOM-Guitar-U-FIX_W0QQitemZ380080915173QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item380080915173&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

It doesn't look like any of the wood is missing, so you wouldn't have to reconstruct anything.

If you feel like you're capable, go for it. I can't see it going past $200.

Otherwise, show the auction to a local luthier. If they can fix it, and it's worth your money, go for it.

Even if you get it and you can't save it, you've at least got tuners, humbuckers, and a Maestro to work with later.

Guest alanhindle

I would say that the seller needs to take in to account:

-the investment in time and/or money which would be needed to effect a repair

-the risk of it being a write off anyway and then

-assuming it is repairable, the likely large reduction in resale value (say by half) compared to other used SG customs with normal wear

If I had the skills to repair it, I'd only pay £20-£30 ($40-60) for it with the assumption that it would only be worth about three-four times that when repaired.

I wouldn't bother with it. I've watched this seller and most of his stuff sells for more than what it's worth. I think people get caught up in what the item is as if it wasn't damaged and lose sight of repair cost.

Epiphone and Gibson broken neck are out there and are a dime a dozen if you shop right.

331dot20.jpg

324gib33.jpg

42spec41-1.jpg

44melody31.jpg

41apple54.jpg

41apple58.jpg

41dot37.jpg

That looks like a simple fix but for one thing; there appears to be a crack along several inches of the neck. That's not an easy one to repair. The headstock can be glued back easily with epoxy or "gorilla glue", and a new nut can be found from several dealers - but gluing the crack? Nope.

I'd pass on it

thanks for the response guys. I was close to tryng my hand at getting it fixed. But, I agree the cost for it now is to much for the effort.

My need to try my hand at a frankenguitar can wait on something intact and cheap. Any suggests on likely candidates??????

That looks like a simple fix but for one thing; there appears to be a crack along several inches of the neck. That's not an easy one to repair.

I've actually always thought a neck crack (without a broken headstock) was easier than actually repairing a headstock. It's just a matter of injecting some glue into the crack and clamping it properly.

thanks for the response guys. I was close to tryng my hand at getting it fixed. But' date=' I agree the cost for it now is to much for the effort.

My need to try my hand at a frankenguitar can wait on something intact and cheap. Any suggests on likely candidates??????[/quote']

Well I'd have to say a solid body for sure cuz if ur planning on doing some cuts and stuff, hollows and semis would be a major pain, no?

GC

I've actually always thought a neck crack (without a broken headstock) was easier than actually repairing a headstock. It's just a matter of injecting some glue into the crack and clamping it properly.

I agree - in some cases. However I'd be concerned why there's a crack there? Was the truss rod hole bored out too close to the edge? Is there a flaw in the wood grain - a "sap split". There has to be a reason for a longitudinal split. If the wood is flawed the crack could occur again next to the glue joint' date=' or above or below it. Either way, given the way this one's broken I'd for sure give it a miss. [/color']

Archived