Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Deluxe - Some Questions

geetar playr

The Deluxe was among the "new" *1968 Les Pauls. (*It wasn't officially listed in the catalog until 1969.)

This model featured "mini-humbuckers", also mistakenly known as "New York" humbuckers, and did not initially prove popular. The mini-humbucker pickup fit into the pre-carved P-90 pickup cavity using an adaptor ring developed by Gibson (actually just a cut-out P90 pickup cover) to save tooling costs, and satisfy demand, for a humbucking equipped "Gold Top" guitar. The Deluxe was introduced in late 1968 and helped to standardize production among Gibson's USA-built Les Pauls. The first incarnation of the Deluxe featured a one-piece body and three-piece neck in late 1968. The "pancake" body (thin layer of maple sandwiched by two layers of Honduran mahogany) came later in 1969. In late 1969, a small "volute" was added. 1969 Deluxe's feature the Gibson logo devoid of the dot over the "i" in Gibson. By late 1969/early 1970, the dot over the "i" had returned, plus a "Made In USA" stamp on the back the headstock. By 1975, the neck construction was changed from mahogany to maple, until the early 1980s, when the construction was returned to mahogany. Interest in this particular Les Paul model was so low that in 1985, Gibson canceled the line. However, in 1992, the "Deluxe" was reintroduced with more popularity due (somewhat) to its association with Pete Townshend.

So, it's basically the Epiphone version, of the most recent incarnation, of the Gibson LP Deluxe.

The Epiphone model (as illustrated in your link) has a different pickup mounting collar. Wider, and

anchored to the body, as opposed to just being mounted inside the P-90 routs (as the original Gibson's were)

Much like that on their Korean Rivieras, only cream colored. The Riviera's are black. Some of the very early Gibsons,

had extra plastic "goof rings" around the mounted mini's, due (allegedly) to ragged routing. Once they cleared that up, the "goof rings" disappeared. So, some of those with the rings, are more valuable, as "collector" versions. But...LP Deluxe's are not really very "collectable," in terms of "high dollar!" "Norlin Era," and all that. But, I have a '76 Deluxe, that is an awesome sounding and playing guitar! "Norlin era," be damned! LOL!

CB

I have a '71 Gibson Deluxe Goldtop, and it's a wonderful guitar. Plays like a dream, well-built, and looks cool.

I hated the mini hums, though, and replaced them with P-90's, and now I love it more than ever.

Oh, and I paid $450 for it in 1988. Eat your hearts out!

1971gibsonlespauldeluxe.jpg

I have a '71 Gibson Deluxe Goldtop' date=' and it's a wonderful guitar. Plays like a dream, well-built, and looks cool.

I hated the mini hums, though, and replaced them with P-90's, and now I love it more than ever.

Oh, and I paid $450 for it in 1988. Eat your hearts out!

[img']http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii121/MonkeyHouseRocks/1971gibsonlespauldeluxe.jpg[/img]

And, by the looks of it, you have one with the somewhat rare "Goof Rings!" Good Show!

CB

And' date=' by the looks of it, you have one with the somewhat rare "Goof Rings!" Good Show!

CB[/quote']

Yeah. And they're all buckled. Oh well.

I checked Ebay recently, and people are asking 4 grand for the same guitar. Not a bad investment!

Needless to say, it doesn't leave the house.

Well, a "gold top" Deluxe, in the condition your's seems to be in, would command a pretty

decent price, no doubt. Congratulations! And, it seems to have a normal headstock size,

as well. Some of those Norlin Era Deluxes had really wide "Ping Pong Paddle" headstocks, that

looked out of proportion, with the small LP body style. So, you did really well, overall!

CB

Guitars007.jpg Yeah I paid $700 for this one qbout 10 years ago it's an 80' and it really screams with the lawrence mini's kind of a combination of humbucker and P-90(without the noise). It's really well played and a "norlin" but I love it! Mine has that paddle size headstock but that always bothered me less than those goof rings....that's just the epitome of norlin's stupidity and arrogance. Actually the norlin year headstocks with the volutes are some of the strongest Gibson ever produced. You rarely see headstock repairs on those guitars.

Yeah, my '76 Deluxe is a "barn burner!" Love it! Bought it (barely) used, in 77, for $350...which back then was

probably about right? Anyway, "Norlin" be damned, it's been a great guitar!

I hadn't really paid attention to this, at the time...but later realized a lot of the Norlin Era LP's had much sharper

points, on the "horn!"

CB

Well' date=' a "gold top" Deluxe, in the condition your's seems to be in, would command a pretty

decent price, no doubt. Congratulations! And, it seems to have a normal headstock size,

as well. Some of those Norlin Era Deluxes had really wide "Ping Pong Paddle" headstocks, that

looked out of proportion, with the small LP body style. So, you did really well, overall!

CB[/quote']

It's got some dings and blemishes, but overall, I'd give it an 8 out of 10 condition-wise. It's definitely a well-loved/played in guitar.

Archived