Gibson Brands Forums

Just noticed major difference between Dot & Dot Studios

wiggy

I've always thought the wood on my Dot Studio didn't look like maple and just noticed on the specs that, unlike the Regular Dots, the Studio is mahogany ply body and a mahogany instead of maple neck. Mind you I've no idea what's in the middle of the ply sandwich but that certainly must account for some of the distinctive darker sound of the studios.

Perhaps dark isn't the right word - I guess raw/harder edged/meaner is probably closer to what I mean. I remember reading a comment (not sure if it was on here) along the lines of ... you could play a Dot in a tuxedo but you could only play the Dot Studio in Jeans and a T shirt ... which pretty well sums it up.

...and I would bet you a zillion dollars that if the 2 guitars had the same pickups and were played through the same amp with the same settings, you couldn't tell them apart blindfolded. (I wonder if Jamie and Adam would do a show on electric guitar myths)

...and I would bet you a zillion dollars that if the 2 guitars had the same pickups and were played through the same amp with the same settings' date=' you couldn't tell them apart blindfolded. (I wonder if Jamie and Adam would do a show on electric guitar myths)[/quote']

I know the bridge pickup that comes as std on the Dot Studio is hotter than that on the Dot but yes using the neck pickups on each through the same amp I could tell a definite difference between the two. The Studio seemed to have more bite/edge to it which is why I chose it over the Dot. I had no idea about any differences in material between them at the time so wasn't pre programmed as what to expect.

Archived