Gibson Brands Forums

New here - new to guitar - and new to customizing.

Q-Gibson

Hi all...

Just figured I'd introduce myself along with a question I've had prattling around in my brain for a while.

I'm Q, I'm a new player at 34 years old and I'm actually a Gibson (and a Martin) by birthright. I figured I had to pick up a guitar eventually.

I recently picked up my first guitar almost as a side project to a customizing job. I spent a few weeks looking for the best guitar to work with aesthetically and came to an Epi Les Paul - because it wasn't expensive so if I screwed it up, I wouldn't feel too bad.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience on installing a Bigsby Tremolo on an Epi Les Paul 100 (on which I eventually want to switch out the tailpiece and pretty much everything else - within reason)?

Thanks all...

Hi all...

Just figured I'd introduce myself along with a question I've had prattling around in my brain for a while.

I'm Q' date=' I'm a new player at 34 years old and I'm actually a Gibson (and a Martin) by birthright. I figured I had to pick up a guitar eventually.

I recently picked up my first guitar almost as a side project to a customizing job. I spent a few weeks looking for the best guitar to work with aesthetically and came to an Epi Les Paul - because it wasn't expensive so if I screwed it up, I wouldn't feel too bad.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience on installing a Bigsby Tremolo on an Epi Les Paul 100 (on which I eventually want to switch out the tailpiece and pretty much everything else - within reason)?

Thanks all... [/quote']

Well, if you haven't already, I would learn to play it before you do mods. I already play and I won't even think about mods.

GC

I've got to agree with Chico on this one.

Get used to the guitar as it is. Learn to play it without the Bigsby first. Tune it up with an electronic tuner every time you pick it up so you train your ears to hear an in-tune guitar before you start using the Bigsby. The Bigsby can put the guitar out of tune, and you need to recognize with your ears when it is out. Then you can learn the techniques of keeping your guitar in tune with the Bigsby. There is a lot to learn when you are just starting out, so learning how to get along with the Bigsby might be a little too much at first.

Also, if you can, get a good guitar teacher. One that both makes it fun, and pushes you to your limits. It's a worthwhile short-cut. On the other hand, a bad teacher is a waste of money.

Insights and incites by Notes

I have to agree with the others on this one.

With Stan - if you are planning on upgrading out of the box, get a better guitar. Get a Studio.

With the rest - learn how to play it first. You can't do much with a Bigsby if you dont' know how to play, other than look good. You may decide you like the way it sounds, pickup wise, before you spend a bundle on it.

Then, when you are ready to put the Bigsby on or anything else, there are several here that have done extensive mods that can help you.

I also agree with the responders here: get used to the guitar "as is" first. Funny that I just posted a thread about a Bigsby install on my Epi Junior. I have a couple other guitars with tremelos, so I'm somewhat used to the thing. And its a cool device. But I use it pretty sparingly. So, yeah, customizing guitars is blast, but get to know the guitar first.

You can do it, though. and it's not a tough job.

learning to use the bigsby isn't as hard as learning to play it otherwise, but part of the learning equation.

and if you want to hold costs down, nothing wrong with adding one.

I'd personally recommend the goth epi lp.. due to the set neck. I have a bigsby on my studio lp, which is pretty much the same

as a goth, but sunburst and also has the set neck.

However, let's not forget all those fenders, and more, are bolt neck.. so it's really not like it's stupid or something!

I had an lp 100 here.. and I put new pups in it.. from my studio! and then sold it.

but it wasnt' a bad guitar at all.. you just run into the set neck freaks. and the carved top freaks, who like to get snooty about it.

(ducks)

I really doubt you'd screw it up.

Tuners require redrilling the headstock. the stock lp 100 tuners aren't replaceable by, for instance, grovers, without that.

pickups aren't hard to replace.. just soldering.

bridge and tail aren't hard so long as you remember to check size and get the right ones.

the bigsby would require filling the tail bushing holes, or covering them or both.

but it's a fairly straightforward operation, patience and common sense.

and that would make a very nice guitar.

sometimes we forget how many recordings were made with less than top of the line gear... I think.

TWANG

I agree as well. I'm 25 and just recently picked up the guitar again after at least 10 years of not playing. Get used to the guitar, learn the basics (Chuck Berry and all that) and work ur way into ur own niche. I am young and even I like the looks of Bigsby, but if you have an Epi there are better pick ups that you'd prolly wanna look into first. Ones that will give you better warmth than the classic humbuckers...but you do what feels and sounds right man!

Thanks all...

I will take everything under advisement. I'm a carpenter/finisher by trade so any little mods to the body or neck should come off pretty well with a little more research. My advise will be filed under the "everything else- and a little bit of woodwork" catagory.

I'm currently learning the ropes (strings?) on a custom 52 Telecaster (*ducks*), so the Epi isn't what I use when sitting on the toilet reading "Blues for Dummies"...I leave that to Fender.

I know that I'm pushing the learning curve a little bit ( a LOT - I'm in denial)...but I figure it's a good way to learn the guts of the instrument, the acoustic details of different PUPs, etc, and just what is and isn't possible...in the end, it will most likely end up being a dedicated slide guitar - that might be worth noting.

So I suppose, stay tuned for what might be pictures of one of 2 things:

1) a nice looking hot rod/rockabilly guitar

2) modern art...

Archived