Gibson Brands Forums

New Epi Dot set-up question ~

Telechamp

Finally followed the advice of many here and bought a Dot (Vintage Sunburst). Got it at Sam Ash at the Black Friday sale. LOVE IT! I can't believe the sounds I am getting thru my HRDx and '69 Champ! And the stock pickups seem to sound great to me so far - seems like I got a good one...

One question: Do new Epi Dots NEED to be set up after the purchase? The reason I'm asking is that Sam Ash threw in a free set-up and new strings with this purchase, but the set-up guy couldn't get to it that day - they said to bring it back the following week and they would do the set up then - So I took it home and have been playing it and I realize that I really like the factory set-up it has now.... Should I just leave well enough alone or should I go with the Sam Ash set-up offer???....

I figure it probably does need new strings rather than the factory standard-issue ones, but I can do that myself. By the way, it came with 9's (which I prefer).

But I really like the way it plays now... Any thoughts or suggestions on taking it back in for the Sam Ash set-up??...

Thanx!

I'll post some pics of my new baby if I can figure out how to do it....

Epi-Man

Epi-Man,

Congrats on the new guitar. Pics?

+1 on Ron.

Sam Ash seems to be a competitive company. ( I wish I had one near me) They have a 45 day return pollicy. Why not just play it for the next month or so, since you like the way it is set up. I am sure that if you called them and asked them to put off the set up for a month they would have no objections. If after that there is something you would like changed or adjusted then take it in. If not ....great. Not every factory set up is bad. On the odds alone they are bound to get it right once in a while.

My first thought is' date=' if it ain't broke, don't fix it. It would suck if the setup made it "worse".[/quote']

I'm inclined to agree with that train of thought, Ron... As I mentioned, I am pretty happy with the factory set-up (I can't believe I'm saying that!), and hate to take it in and then get it back in "worse" condition...

Epi-Man

I disagree with the others. I think you should take it in for the set up.

You didn't say if you were new to the guitar, or if you had been playing for a long time. If you are relatively new to the guitar, than you may not realize how much better it could sound with a good set up.

I really don't think they would make it sound worse. It's possible, but if they did, than I would just take it back, and find out what they did and have them put it back the way it was.

I have an EE G400 I bought in 2006. It was so nice, right out of the box, that I did my own set up and have been extremely happy with it's sound. But then, I wasn't offered a free set up. If I had been, I would have had it set up.

I do understand what you mean though, part of me thinks I'm never going to take this G400 in either because I don't want it messed with. But I probably will one day. All my other guitars have been professionally set up.

Epi-Man' date='

Congrats on the new guitar. Pics?

+1 on Ron.

Sam Ash seems to be a competitive company. ( I wish I had one near me) They have a 45 day return pollicy. Why not just play it for the next month or so, since you like the way it is set up. I am sure that if you called them and asked them to put off the set up for a month they would have no objections. If after that there is something you would like changed or adjusted then take it in. If not ....great. Not every factory set up is bad. On the odds alone they are bound to get it right once in a while.[/quote']

Yeah, I got a great deal on it at Sam Ash - (Black Friday prices!!..)

I think your idea is a good one, Whitmore Willy. I'll ask them if I can "put off" the set-up for a month or so, and then if I'm still happy with the Dot's playability, I'll just cancel the set-up...

Epi-Man

If you like it' date=' I'd leave it !

Try 10-46 strings if it doesn't already have 'em.

Congrats on HNGD !

[/quote']

Good advice..... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", right?..

I've heard 10's go great on Dot's, but this one came with 9's (I asked the sales guy at Sam Ash), and he said you can go with either 9's or 10's on these. I prefer 9's 'cause I like to bend, but of course, the 10's will have more "meat" to the tone... I may try 9's for a while, then put some 10's on and check out the difference..

Epi-Man

Leave it alone...and, IF/when you do decide to get a "set up," go to a REAL luthier, not some "Sam Ash Sales clown!"

If you don't know any "real luthiers," ask around...I'm sure there are some very qualified people around. Yeah, Sam Ash

MIGHT have a "qualified luthier," If you're lucky! Sorry...I've never had even one good experience, in a Sam Trash store,

So my opinion (and, that's all it is) is probably not the best one, for you..LOL!

Even if you have to pay for the set-up, from a good luthier, you'll be much better off....IMHO (as always, of course).

CB

I disagree with the others. I think you should take it in for the set up.

You didn't say if you were new to the guitar' date=' or if you had been playing for a long time. If you are relatively new to the guitar, than you may not realize how much [i']better[/i] it could sound with a good set up.

I really don't think they would make it sound worse. It's possible, but if they did, than I would just take it back, and find out what they did and have them put it back the way it was.

I have an EE G400 I bought in 2006. It was so nice, right out of the box, that I did my own set up and have been extremely happy with it's sound. But then, I wasn't offered a free set up. If I had been, I would have had it set up.

I do understand what you mean though, part of me thinks I'm never going to take this G400 in either because I don't want it messed with. But I probably will one day. All my other guitars have been professionally set up.

Thanks for the input, Brad. Yeah, part of me hates to forgo a "free" set-up, but the other part of me really like the guitar as it is now, but maybe you're right - it might be even nicer with the (free) set-up..........

Actually I've been playing since the early 70's... I have some knowledge of how much a nice set-up can improve a guitar, so that's why I'm a little torn on this one.. My '83 Tele and '03 Strat really benefited from the set-ups I had done on them, believe me.

Epi-Man

go to a REAL luthier' date=' not some "Sam Ash Sales clown!"CB[/quote']

You hit the nail on the head, Charlie. I had considered the same things Brad mentioned

in his reply but what are the chances that a Sam Ash "tech" knows WTF he's doing.

Leave it alone...and' date=' IF/when you do decide to get a "set up," go to a REAL luthier, not some "Sam Ash Sales clown!"

If you don't know any "real luthiers," ask around...I'm sure there are some very qualified people around. Yeah, Sam Ash

MIGHT have a "qualified luthier," If you're lucky! Sorry...I've never had even one good experience, in a Sam Trash store,

So my opinion (and, that's all it is) is probably not the best one, for you..LOL!

Even if you have to pay for the set-up, from a good luthier, you'll be much better off....IMHO (as always, of course).

CB[/quote']

To be honest, I was kind of thinking the same thing.... The guy might know what he's doing, and he might not..........

Epi-Man

You hit the nail on the head' date=' Charlie. I had considered the same things Brad mentioned

in his reply but what are the chances that a Sam Ash "tech" knows WTF he's doing.

[/quote']

Yeah, like I said, it could be hit or miss with the set-up guy (Dare I say luthier??..) there....

You know, I know nothing about Sam Ash. But if it's anything like guitar center, than I would also have to think twice about it. I did not think about that.

Upon further review, I'd have to say that I probably would feel exactly like you.

And that means I'd probably not take it back, unless some problem showed up.

You know' date=' I know nothing about Sam Ash. But if it's anything like guitar center, than I would also have to think twice about it. I did not think about that.

Upon further review, I'd have to say that I probably would feel exactly like you.

And that means I'd probably not take it back, unless some problem showed up.[/quote']

Brad,

I'd have to say I agree with you (and the others). I am somewhat "leery" about having Sam Ash (or yes, Guitar Center, either - for that matter..) work on it. I'm sure some of their set-up guys probably know what they're doing, but.... Plus, they are swamped this time of year and I don't know how much attention they'd be paying to the set-up process, etc. They probably have 'em lined up for set-ups at those places right now...

AND - - I do like the way it plays now - I can find nothing that needs adjusting..

Maybe I was one of the lucky few that got a decent factory set-up.

Thanks -

Epi-Man

Leave it alone...and' date=' IF/when you do decide to get a "set up," go to a REAL luthier, not some "Sam Ash Sales clown!"

CB[/quote']

I like your way of thinking, Charlie!

Epi-Man

Congrats on that beautiful Dot, she looks sweet!

I played mine for 2 months before I turned it in to a local shop for a setup.

During that 2 month period I started to notice some issues I didn't notice when starting out with her.

Still it sounded great and played like a dream.... after the setup things even got better. :-

I have a Black lefty Dot (I'm told they are quite rare and difficult to find) It came brandnew from the factory, stamped "Used" on the back of the headstock (done crudly, paint has some cracks [-X )

Still my Dot was a dream coming true.

The bottom line is: Play it for a while and decide what to do.

/Hans

My two Dot Studios (the one I have now and the one that was replaced under warranty) came set quite accurately

to the factory standard, as outlined in the owner's manual and notated on the inspection list. Although I have

lowered the action a bit after I got them, they were perfectly playable and acceptable right out of the box.

Congrats on that beautiful Dot' date=' she looks sweet!

I played mine for 2 months before I turned it in to a local shop for a setup.

During that 2 month period I started to notice some issues I didn't notice when starting out with her.

Still it sounded great and played like a dream.... after the setup things even got better. =D>

I have a Black lefty Dot (I'm told they are quite rare and difficult to find) It came brandnew from the factory, stamped "Used" on the back of the headstock (done crudly, paint has some cracks default_eusa_wall.gif )

Still my Dot was a dream coming true.

The bottom line is: Play it for a while and decide what to do.

/Hans

Thanks, Hans -- Yeah, she's a perty one! I noticed the sides of the vintage sunburst Dots have the two-tone, whereas the Gibson ES-335 VS's don't - Now I'm not saying the Dots are nicer than 335's, of course, but I actually like the Dots better on this feature!...

Good advice on playing it awhile and then seeing if there are any issues. I think it's a good idea to get to know her before I take it in for any possible set-ups..

Yeah, I thought the only lefty Dots came in Cherry, so you definitely have a rare one! It's a black beauty it looks like!

Epi-Man

My two Dot Studios (the one I have now and the one that was replaced under warranty) came set quite accurately

to the factory standard' date=' as outlined in the owner's manual and notated on the inspection list. Although I have

lowered the action a bit after I got them, they were perfectly playable and acceptable right out of the box.[/quote']

That's good to know, Ron, because mine is definitely set up well as far as I can tell. I got it off the wall at Sam A., but they said it had only been there for 4-5 days and I'm sure they didn't do a set-up on it when they got it. I believe I got the factory set-up, which, as I have said, seems right on to me.. I like somewhat lower action, and the action was right where I like it..

Epi-Man

Archived