Gibson Brands Forums

Why does "Lucille" have no ƒ-holes?

Ricochet

Found this:

Gibson Lucille

In 1981, Gibson Guitar Corporation launched the B. B. King Lucille model.[4] The most noticeable differences between the Lucille and the Gibson ES-355 on which it is based are the "Lucille" script on the headstock and the lack of F-holes on the top. The top has no F-holes at B. B. King's request to reduce feedback. So Jeffery is correct. Thankfully they didn't paint fake ones on the guitar - I still think that makes the Gretsch look cheap, as does the branded "G"

TNX! I figured the feedback thing' date=' but I'm wondering if it wouldn't affect the tone in any way(Not that it seems to bother BB King).[/quote']

Isn't that why it has the Varitone controls and stereo output? I assumed that was why those features were added, to compensate for possible loss of tone.

BB had the 'f' holes left out of "Lucille," because he wanted Lucille to feed back "when HE wanted her to,"

and not at any other time. LOL! So, it was his personal prefernce, for his signature Gibson/Epiphone.

He played, as many of you know, everything from ES-330, 335, 345, 355. All were named "Lucille!" The signature

version is (really) just a ES-355, without 'f' holes...and a beefier neck, to fit his huge hands! They are great,

great, guitars!

CB

Isn't that why it has the Varitone controls and stereo output? I assumed that was why those features were added' date=' to compensate for possible loss of tone.[/quote']

The ES-355TD (Thin Line, Dual Pick-up)was at the top of Gibson's range of thin line semi-acoustic guitars. It was manufactured from 1958 until 1982.[2], fitted with (SV).

The headstock had a split diamond block inlay rather the smaller inlay on the 335, in addition to a binding. The fingerboard inlay are blocks, inlaid on the first position of the fretboard. Binding was applied to the headstock, the fretboard and both the front and the back of the body.

The ES-355 was available with a Vibrola tremolo unit or a Bigsby vibrato tailpiece. It had also been offered with stereo output and Varitone tone filter circuitry.[3] When fitted with the optional stereo wiring and Varitone, the model was known as the ES-355TD-SV. The stereo wiring provided both stereo and mono connections, with two output jacks on the lower bout. The Varitone circuitry featured a six-position switch that adds capacitors of different value to the circuit. The capacitors act as a notch filter, such that each position on the switch shifts the center of the notch from higher to lower frequencies. Varitone

The ES-355 was widely used by blues musician B. B. King, who has been featured in Gibson publicity for the model from the 1960s onwards. Chuck Berry used one in the 1960s and 1970's, replacing his earlier Gibson ES-345. Many other guitarists have also used the model.

Alex Lifeson of Rush playing a Gibson ES-355

[edit] Lucille

See also: Lucille (guitar)

B. B. King was one of the first well-known guitarists to make the ES-355 his main guitar, having done so shortly after the model was introduced. His endorsement with Gibson began in 1980. In 1981, Gibson launched the B. B. King Lucille, a B. B. King signature model based on the ES-345TD-SV.[3] It has the optional stereo wiring and Varitone circuitry as standard.[4] It differs from the ES-345 as follows:

The wood used to make the Lucille's neck is maple instead of mahogany. The maple neck makes for a somewhat brighter attack.

The "split-diamond" custom headstock inlay on the ES-355 is replaced on the Lucille by the word "Lucille" in script.

The Lucille has no F-holes on its top.

The Lucille effectively replaced the ES-345, which was discontinued a year after the Lucille was launched. Today the ES-345 is available as a reissue, as is its counterpart the ES-355 (these two are often confused). The difference between the two is however very noticeable. The 345 is a slightly larger version[citation needed] of the 335 which also has a Varitone switch (a parametric equalizer with 5 presets). A 345 was given by Gibson, among other guitars, as a gift to Jimi Hendrix shortly before his death in 1970.

A quick article from Wikipedia. Not always definitive, but it will get you started.

CB

I recall reading that is what BB King wanted' date=' but I don't know if that is true.[/quote']

Yes, you are correct. On my visit to the Memphis factory last year, it was mentioned

that BB King asked Gibson to eliminate the f-holes, not only for feedback reasons

but also for better sustain.

On a thinline hollow body, if the f-holes are eliminated(or blocked),

the body resonance is raised slightly as well as sustain increased.

This elevates Lucille to more a blues style guitar. If you watch BB do some of his

licks, he also uses a finger technique similar to violinists to prolong sustain on certain

notes.

On a thinline hollow body' date=' if the f-holes are eliminated(or blocked),

the body resonance is raised slightly as well as sustain increased.

[/quote']

Funny, I've read the same claim pertaining the use of ƒ-holes...

Pretty sure the point of the no-holes was to lessen the resonance of top and inhibit any unwanted feedback...

Funny' date=' I've read the same claim pertaining the use of ƒ-holes...

Pretty sure the point of the no-holes was to [i']lessen[/i] the resonance of top and inhibit any unwanted feedback...

Yes, you are right. The guitar acts like a Helmholtz resonator, so blocking a sound

hole will change the resonance of the body.

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/Helmholtz.html

and acoustic properties of a guitar..

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/music/guitaracoustics/construction.html

Damn you Bender lol. I was just about to post that little nugget and you beat me too it. I read the story about stuffing towels into hollowbodies too.

FWIW, and completely off-topic, the original Lucille, the one that BB rescued from the fire, was an acoustic.

That's pretty much a given since it's a BB King signature...(hence the coffee remark)

I realized that later in the evening, however just because it has Lucille on it doesn't automatically mean it was his request. But I guess that's neither here nor there, I get your point.

Archived