Gibson Brands Forums

Which One Would You Choose?

Ron G

Maybe this'll help settle the argument. Simple question, simple answer.

No more, no less. Forget whether you think one of them is worth X times

as much - it's not germane to the question.

Liars need not respond.[-(

Note: Assume they're identical except for the headstock - best match I could find

GibsonLPStd.jpgEpiLPStd.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I picked the Gibson. I just like the color better. The Epi seems to dark. However' date=' I do like the flame of the Epi more. [/quote']

I just edited the text - I wanted you guys to assume they looked almost identical, finish-wise, etc..

You obviously didn't understand where I was going.....

Just for the record, we're to assume neither are fakes and you can afford whichever, correct ??? .... the choice then is easy ....

Maybe this'll help settle the argument. Simple question' date=' simple answer.

No more, no less. Forget whether you think one of them is worth X times

as much - it's not germane to the question.

[/quote']

Guest alanhindle

Picked the Gibby of course. I'd swap my Epi Std Plus for the Gibby in a flash if money was no object. The problem is I don't think it's worth the £1,200 ($2,400 in your money) more than my £300 Epi which I adore. I could afford the Gibby if I wanted to but....

a) I would be frightened to death to pick it up

[-( I'm worried that it wouldn't live up to my expectations of it, and

c) To coin a bit of airline speak, I might experience a slight reduction in the number of testicles.

I don't really understand the point of the thread. I mean, we all love our Epiphones here, but we love them because they're affordable. IMO it would be extremely stupid to pick a product of inferior build and wood quality, when you can receive a better product for the same price.

^^ And there's the crux!

I take it, Ron, you mean that given a choice, and cost is NOT an issue (i.e. someone else will give you a choice of two free guitars) then which would we choose?

Bit of a no brainer... we'd all go for the Gibson.

If only for the fact we could resell it and then buy an epi and pocket the difference! [-(/

Seriously, we all know the Gibson is probably a slightly better guitar. We all know that an Epi is a pretty close second. And we all know that the 700-1000 pound price difference doesn't correspond to the difference in quality.

So what's the point here? Are you just making the point that Gibson are better? If so, I can't help but agree.

Well, if I bought a guitar purely on how it looked, this would matter to me.

But looks are very secondary. Feel, sound, weight, and many other factors are much more important.

So.........I guess I fail to see a real point to this topic as well.

New Gibson or old Gibson? I played a couple of new Gibsons recently, and the neck and playability is not close to what it is on the old ones. I'd buy an old Gibson over the Epi, but not a new one--detail, craftsmanship and consistency just ain't there anymore. But if you have a chance to play several, you might find one you like. Does Epi make an Elitist Les Paul? I've owned vintage Gibsons and new ones, and the elitists I've owned/played stand up to the quality of many of the old Gibsons.

Jeff

Well obviously the Gibson seems like the obvious choice. Don't get me wrong, I love my Epi, but even if the difference is only very slight, the difference is still there. You choose a guitar to get the best one possible, so even the slightest detail can affect your choice. Therefore, for free, the Gibson is my choice. In the real world, I would choose the Epi because for the price it is an outstanding guitar, but if money were no object I would choose the Gibson.

This might be a bit more telling ---

I own about 2 dozen guitars. Most are Epiphones, 2nd most are Gibsons. Of the guitars that stay on a rack or stand where I can get it anytime I have the urge:

Gibson LP Junior

Epiphone Riviera

Gibson SG

These are my personal favorites. I play the Junior about twice as much as the SG, and the Riviera about the same as the SG. Why? Because the Gibsons feel better. The Riviera is modified all to hell and gone, in fact - mods cost more than the SG. Both Gibsons are bone stock (setup and strings are the only changes from original equipment), and are still preferable (3 to 1 more play time!!!) to the Epiphones.

At this moment the score is 14-0. Despite some of you bringing up the old, tired

comparisons, the score is still 14-0. And that's the point. We all think Gibson is

a better guitar, period. How much better is a whole 'nother, very

subjective thing, which is not worth discussing. Remember, I don't own a Gibson

(I did in the distant past) - I own an Epiphone, for my personal reasons but

not because it's a better guitar.

So, regardless of your own personal reasons for owning an Epiphone instead

of a Gibson (if this applies), "better guitar" isn't one of them. I said "better

guitar", not "better guitar for the money", "better modding platform", etc..

"I take it, Ron, you mean that given a choice, and cost is NOT an issue then which would we choose?'

Isn't that what I said?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Bit of a no brainer... we'd all go for the Gibson."

Seems to be the concensus

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Seriously, we all know the Gibson is probably a slightly better guitar. We all know that an Epi is a pretty close second. And we all know that the 700-1000 pound price difference doesn't correspond to the difference in quality."

No! We "all" don't know these things. They are your opinions, and that's fine; just don't assume they're

universal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So what's the point here? Are you just making the point that Gibson are better? If so, I can't help but agree"

Well........uh.........yes

This is off-topic. But since we're here: how different and un-barfy

is the finish on your Alleykat?

It is cherrier than the one picture (the red is more saturated). I know that cherry burst is not a very "classic" color, but I like it better than painted guitars (with no wood grain showing).

Archived