Gibson Brands Forums

Is it worthed that much ?

AyushPresley

Check this GIBSON LES PAUL. do you guys think this price is reasonable even for a Gibson ?? I freaked out and thought that the seller misplaced the (.)Point(.) !!](*' date=') '](*,) ](*,):-({|= it's 600,000 Australian $$. that's near 400,000 US $$

The 59 Long tenon Les Paul is considered to be the "holy grail" of tone by some

Les Paul lovers and (presumed artists) out there. Peter Green's (formerly of

Fleetwood Mac..formerly of..etc) 59 LP, that was acquired by Gary Moore had a

terrific tone and sustain..and is rumoured to be selling for (or sold?) for an asking

price of around 1 million US! Clapton's Strat "Blackie" sold for around a million at

a auction to raise money for his Crossroads project in Antiugua. His ES335 from

the Cream days, fetched over 300 thousand (from what I remember from his

autobiography) and so did one of his other Strats.."Brownie"..a vintage burst.

I'm not sure what happened to the vintage Les Paul that he played..maybe

he still has it..but if he ever wants to sell it for charity purposes..that guitar should

fetch more than $400,000 US.

The 59's are/were part of a special era for Gibson...and besides the nostalgia factor,

bumble bee caps and those PAF humbuckers that everyone would probably

give an leg for...the old growth Honduras mahogany they were made of HAD

the tone mojo that very few of the modern ones have.

Is it worth $600,000 AUS to somebody..to a collector, probably yes..because in

tens years time, when the world recovers from this global recession and money

starts to become available again..that guitar will be worth a LOT more.

Gibson is still making Les Pauls..but they are not making '59 Vintage Les Pauls,

so those are a scare commodity these days.

1 pic (being held by some young guy) is of a cherryburst top with low grade quilt' date=' not birdseye.

All the other pics are of a LP Standard plain top, in tobacco, or honeyburst.

wonder who, or what, they're trying to smoke here.[/quote']

Interesting!...

According to my book (The early years of the Les Paul Legacy)..the '58-60'

LP came with a red cherry burst. This was about the time when the Goldtop

sales had slowed and Gibson was looking for an attractive finish to

guitars that previously had a concealed maple top. The '59 also came in figured

maple (amber) and with a plain top maple in a tobacco burst.

You are right in saying that there appear to be two different LP guitars that

pictures have been taken of, for purposes of supporting the sale of the guitar

they are selling. Not very smart thing to do..because it opens the door to

questions..what exactly am I getting here for $600,000 AUS.

Certainly the year of manufacture "9" and the production number is consistent.

Ric, you might be right, BUT, of the dozen or so pics i've taken of my tobaccoburst over a 20 yr period,

it's never shown up as a cherryburst, inside, outside,low light, bright light, flourescent, it's always looked the same.

apx. 10 yrs ago.........

gypsy.jpg

apx. 2 months ago......

GarysCam062.jpg

To a guitar player' date=' probably not. To a vintage dealer, certainly yes.

Colours may have faded over the years. And don't tell me you haven't made pics of the same item that were completely different in colour.[/quote']

Yes, you are right about faded colours. The Gibson shading stains back then were

very sensitive to UV light. Gibson warned dealers not to have these guitars in

the window of the stores..otherwise you could end up with a washed look-faded

cherry finish. Also, just playing them outside in the bright sun would do if after

a while too. The goldtops had bronze powder in the lacquer finish oxidized

to a green patina over the years..but this was viewed as desirable by some.

No Guitars worth that amount of money, its a bit of wood with six strings just like my Epi standard thats made of wood and has six strings, sorry if i sound cynical, but thats my opinion, obviously some kind of con artist.

Merry Christams to all Forum Dudes and Dudettes. (Bag Humbug)

Ric' date=' you might be right, BUT, of the dozen or so pics i've taken of my tobaccoburst over a 20 yr period,

it's never shown up as a cherryburst, inside, outside,low light, bright light, flourescent, it's always looked the same.

[/quote']

Nice posing Bender... yes you can thank the nice polyester/polyurethane finish for that. It's different for nitro on 48 year old Gibsons though.

ok Ric, you're right..........i'm a poser and my old Gibson has a poly finish.

I feel so bad that i'm the only 1 to ever "pose" with my guitar, goodness knows, the Beatles, Stones, Hendrix,Pink Floyd, AC/DC Eagles, or anybody else never did that........oh, wait a sec., posing is as old as the camera its self, for those that aren't ashamed to be seen.

Thats also a $600,00.00 guitar they're trying to sell over the computer, instead of through an auction house, where it can be pre-authenticated.

I really hope you buy several just like it.

as i recall, there were only about 200 les pauls made in 1959, and most of the survivors have been accounted for (rich collectors). so yeah, they aren't common, and don't become available too often.

and in case you're curious, here's what a $400,000 guitar sounds like through a $50,000 amp:

ok Ric' date=' you're right..........i'm a poser and my old Gibson has a poly finish.

[/quote']

Hey Bender, guess the wildweb strikes again...I was just messin' with ya!

You could well be right about the pics. But I figure at 400.000 it's kinda moot... who on earth is buying these things to put them in displaycases?!

Hey Bender' date=' guess the wildweb strikes again...I was just messin' with ya!

You could well be right about the pics. But I figure at 400.000 it's kinda moot... who on earth is buying these things to put them in displaycases?! [/quote']

Sad as it is, IF I had the disposable income.......ME !

If I could "roll out" my 401k w/o losing so much in penalties, i'd probably invest in vintage instruments

much like Duff McKagan has done.........then wait for a market jump, try to sell them all, and do it all over again.

as i recall' date=' there were only about 200 les pauls made in 1959, and most of the survivors have been accounted for (rich collectors). so yeah, they aren't common, and don't become available too often. [/quote']

Well you are right about the ' bursts being rarer back in 59, but they are not as rare as that.

According to my Les Paul Legacy book; there was an estimated 1400 Sunbursts produced between

'58 and '60..although not all were the cherry burst.

About a third of '58 production (434) were' bursts...around possibly 140 or so.

643 in '59.....the year of interest... and 635 in '60.

The other thing that makes these so desirable for collectors is that they are McCarty era LPs and

had those stronger Alnico V magnets, which was discovered by many artists to have great amp overdrive.

Billy Gibbons has a '59 burst which he named "Pearly Gates".

Archived