Gibson Brands Forums

MY FIRST EPIP

rocko

Guest alanhindle

Welcome Rocko!

This is a difficult question as it depends what you want to do with it and how much you want to spend. As this is an Epi forum I'll assume you're not considering any other brand particularly the much more expensive one which begins with a 'G'.

A big difference between an LP and the Strat you are used to is the warm, fat tone and sustain you get with the LP. This is mostly due to the mahogany body and the tunomatic bridge which you can see adjacent to the stopbar tailpiece on photos. If you want to make the most of this feature of the LP, it is said that you should buy one with a set neck rather than the cheaper bolt on neck versions like the 100 and the special II. The lowest spec model with a set neck is the LP studio. Upwards from that you get the standard which is available in solid colours or bursts. This also has very nice cream plastic binding which edges the neck and body, together with trapezoid mother of pearl fret inlays. Next, up is the standard plus which adds a veneer flame maple cap giving the guitar an even nicer look. Finally, at the top of the tree you have the custom which has an even fancier headstock with the diamond motif, extra binding and gold hardware. The custom plus is the same but adds flame maple veneer burst finishes. Finally, but not necessarily more expensively, you have the Ultra which has a contoured, chambered body to reduce the weight that Les Pauls are known for (not a problem with a wide, good quality strap IMO). This model has gold hardware, trapezoid inlays and a burst finish, but this time with a very nice quilted, as opposed to flame, maple veneer. All of these guitars tend to have alnico pickups which give you a vintage sound for classic/hard rock, jazz and blues. If you are more in to metal you may want to check out the prophecy series which are available with either EMG active pickups (like Metallica use) or Gibson Dirty fingers pickups. The quality of all of these guitars is very good all round but if you want to double your expenditure on something which more closely compares with a Gibson LP standard at 4-5 times the price of a regular Epi, go for a Japanese made Elitist LP standard. Unfortunately, Elitists have just been discontinued but this is not a problem for you as you are looking to buy used.

Hope this whistlestop tour of Epi LPs helps a bit. Here's the web page for you to peruse:

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=&CollectionID=6

Alan

I have to put in a plug for the epi studio.. including the goth studio.

you get a set neck, for one thing. they go at a pretty good price.

the plain black is easy to match parts to for later upgrades or custom or personal taste.

I have a sunburst studio and I really like it.

You can get in cheap.. and still have a guitar that sounds and plays and looks very good.

You can decide if you really dig the paul type guitar.. and still get your money back if you don't.

Even a new one is a very good deal.

TWANG

To be honest, I'd forget about Les Pauls, and just buy a G-400 as a first Epiphone.

567190jpg.jpg

If there was ever a list of the top 10 best value guitars, I'd stick this right at the top. I have a 2006 model, can't fault it - very well made, decent hardware, even the stock Alnico V p'ups are fine. Quite cheap new, very cheap 2nd hand (but be sure to get a recent one, with the Grover tuners - either an EE serial number or a UC serial number would be best...)

See: http://epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=24&CollectionID=16

By the way, the faded ones are cheaper still...all the usual features without the glossy finish: http://epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=25&CollectionID=16

brilliant' date='and thanx for all the replys..its 4 a punk tribute band so i was thinking if a black srandars.Now ive heard and read that the new chinese ones are not that good....can any one coment on this...[/quote']

I use my SG for my punk band, and the sound is generally pretty good. Clean, but able to take a lot of pedal work without sounding washed out.

It's an SG-400Custom, so like was previously suggested by leicester, I'd take a look at those if I were you.

Mine was made at teh QuingDao plant, and I've only had issues with buzzing at the 13-15th frets, but for punk, that shouldn't be a problem.

I would go with an Elitist if your budget will allow it. You will have a top notch guitar that will need no upgrades later. As far as the Chinese models go; I owned a early Chinese model that was one of the best looking, sounding, and playing guitars that I have ever owned. On the othe hand; I owned a more recent model that had real sloppy workmanship. As with any brand you can always find a dog in the bunch so just shop around and play as many as you can.

Archived