Gibson Brands Forums

Rivi P93 String Rattling

MelodyMaker1

Help, just started today. My Rivi P93 woke up this morning with a strange rattling noise. It's not a string buzz per se, but sounds like something is loose, causing a rattling sound when a string is fretted and plucked. I've checked the screws in the bigsby, the bridge, pickup covers, pick-guard, and tuners. Everything is tight and snug. It was fine last night before bed, but this morning my baby is sick and I don't know what ails it.O:) Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Guys.

bridge saddle is one place I'd look.. does it do it on every string.. or just one?

TWANG

it can be a lot of things.. even something inside the pickups.. spring tension, whatever, that's being picked up.

It's a process of elimination.

My (Korean) standard Riviera has that same rattle. It's the bridge, as near as I can tell,

as I've replaced the pickup adjustment sprigs, with surgical tubing...rattle is still there.

And, as layboomo said, they're notorious for that. Some here, have replaced that bridge

with a Goto (metric) and cured the problem. Stew Mac has them, among other places...

I haven't replaced mine yet, because it doesn't make any difference sound wise, through

the amp. So, I'm in no real hurry, that way...

CB

Thanks for the replies. To answer some of the questions, yes it basically does it on all the strings, just not in the same place or fret on each string. Exactly what, and where is the retaining clip on the bridge. I am a "newbie", O:) so bear with me. And CB I play unplugged most of the time, and that rattle really bothers me.

Thanks for the replies. To answer some of the questions' date=' yes it basically does it on all the strings, just not in the same place or fret on each string. Exactly what, and where is the retaining clip on the bridge. I am a "newbie", #-o so bear with me. And CB I play unplugged most of the time, and that rattle really bothers me.[/quote']

Yes, it rattles on all strings, at different frettings...but at basically the same resonant freguencies..at least,

that's what happens with mine. It's annoying, for sure, and I will fix it, sooner or later, myself. Just haven't bothered, yet. LOL!

I think, by what I've read on this forum, it's Very Common, with Epiphone bridges (save maybe the Elitist versions).

And, as such, I'm surprised they haven't addressed it. Shouldn't be that difficult or costly, in the manufacturing

process, to do that. So...???

CB

Yes' date=' it rattles on all strings, at different fittings...but at basically the same resonant frequencies..at least,

that's what happens with mine. It's annoying, for sure, and I will fix it, sooner or later, myself. Just haven't bothered, yet. LOL!

I think, by what I've read on this forum, it's Very Common, with Epiphone bridges (save maybe the Elitist versions).

And, as such, I'm surprised they haven't addressed it. Shouldn't be that difficult or costly, in the manufacturing

process, to do that. So...???

CB[/quote']

It's not just Epi's CB...many Gretsch guitars suffer from the same problem. A switch to a Nashville style bridge would solve the problem. It can drive you crazy though...that and the pickup springs rattle. They are relatively simple fixes fortunately. I think a lot of guys who play plugged in most of the time just live with it,but if you play acoustically at all it does get irritating.

If you look at the side of the bridge you'll see a piece of wire running from end to end.. this holds the screws in place.

the sheraton bridge has these tiny C clips.. what the heck are those called ?.. on each screw end inside the bridge so that the screw is held tight

that way.

I used to know a mechanic who would take a long piece of metal and hold it at various points on the engine, one end to his ear.. so he could hear inside..

like your dr. listens to your heart..

so a childs stethoscope would work to help you trace it down.

TWANG

My LP bridge has started a-rattlin' as well, recently .... what purpose, exactly, does that wire/whatever serve ?? ... to keep the screws and saddles on the bridge if the bridge is removed will they fall out/off ???) ? Can the retaining wire be removed without dire consequences ??? Is the clear nail polish trick worth doing or does it fail in a short amount of time ?? Argh...so many questions, but ....it only bothers me unplugged as well, and.... am too lazy to do anything about it at the moment - perhaps next string change I'll do something.... or not ....

It's not just Epi's CB...many Gretsch guitars suffer from the same problem. A switch to a Nashville style bridge would solve the problem. It can drive you crazy though...that and the pickup springs rattle. They are relatively simple fixes fortunately. I think a lot of guys who play plugged in most of the time just live with it' date='but if you play acoustically at all it does get irritating.[/quote']

I understand...and yet, why doesn't my MIJ '61 SG's bridge do that? Or, ANY of my Gibson's with that same kind

of ABR-1 type bridge. It's and interesting (and frustrating) phenomena.

CB

Archived