Gibson Brands Forums

Considering '57 Classics and Duncan '59's for my Dot

WireWhipper

Greetings, Epiphonians!

I hate to post a topic that has likely been discussed to death many times before, but I would be very grateful for the input of those who have a set of Gibson 57 Classics/Classic Plus or Seymour Duncan 59's in their guitar(s).

I'm considering both sets of pickups for possible replacements in my new Dot in the near future. My Dot's stock pickups overall sound pretty good, but IMHO are not well balanced (bridge is bright and "brittle" sounding when compared to the boomier/muddier sounding neck pickup). Adjusting the guitar's and my amp's tone controls helps, but still isn't quite hitting the mark. I'm looking for vintage-style/vintage output P/U's and have really had good luck with pickups from both manufacturers in the past (I use the Dot primarily for blues and classic rock).

My questions are:

1.) What do you like about either of these sets of p/u's?

2.) What don't you like about either set of p/u's?

3.) Is the improvement in tone worth the money spent?

I have considered Gibson's Burstbuckers I and II as well, but I've read that the coils are not wax potted and I'm concerned about them being noisy. Do those of you who have Burstbuckers in your Epi/Gibson guitars experience feedback issues?

Thank you in advance for your input!

I can't speak for the p/u's you mentioned, but I put a set of SD Phatcats in my Dot, along with all new wiring, pots, switches, etc. a few months ago and the difference is amazing. No more muddy lows, real crisp highs, and sustain and tone to kill for compared to the stock p/u's. FWIW.

I'd do it again in a hearbeat, so yeah, from my perspective, the money was well spent.

I put a set of Duncan 59's in my LP Standard' date=' and the difference was night and day. I like the blues. BB, Stevie Ray, Howlin Wolf, and Albert King, et al. Those 59's make every note, a blue note. Gotta luv it....[/quote']

You're speakin' my language! Thanks for the recommendation.

Either of them would be a big improvement over the stock pickups. I can't speak for them personally, but I'm sure you can't go wrong with them.

I put a set of GFS Vintage 59s in my Dot and Sherry. They are considerably lower in price, but the quality isn't lower. Though I'm sure the Gibsons woud be better, I didn't know if I wanted to drop the $200+ for a set of pickups in a $250 gutiar. I got my Dot for that, it was a refurb through GF. I thought I would try a set of GFS 59s, and for only about $80 for a set I was very well pleased. Very clean and distinct, not muddy at all in the neck position. The bridge position is very usable as well. A lot of neck pickups are too bright for me, like getting an ice pick in the ear. Not these. Bright, but not overly so. Overall a very quality set of pickups for not a lot of money. GFS is just another option if you are thinking about saving a little cash.

I bought a used 1992 Epiphone Joe Pass emperor. Plays really nice. A really beautiful guitar, and it sounded fine with the stock Pickups. I replaced the neck PU with a classic 57 PAF humbucker, and it really came alive. At five (on the guitar) its clean and smooth and warm. At ten its got bite, and a bit of an overdriven tone. Best change I ever made. I may buy the bridge PU to compliment it too. $78 on ebay. Worth ever penny. Robert. I play blues style.

Haven't tried the 57's or 59's but I have a set of Duncan Pearly Gates in my Epi LP custom flametop. They were developed for Billy Gibbons in his search for a duplicate of the sound from his favorite '59 Les Paul "Pearly". They are clean when you want it and they growl when the amp is overdriven. The bridge pup can be as clean as a Tele or as dirty as Angus.

Either of them would be a big improvement over the stock pickups. I can't speak for them personally' date=' but I'm sure you can't go wrong with them.

I put a set of GFS Vintage 59s in my Dot and Sherry. They are considerably lower in price, but the quality isn't lower. Though I'm sure the Gibsons woud be better, I didn't know if I wanted to drop the $200+ for a set of pickups in a $250 gutiar. I got my Dot for that, it was a refurb through GF. I thought I would try a set of GFS 59s, and for only about $80 for a set I was very well pleased. Very clean and distinct, not muddy at all in the neck position. The bridge position is very usable as well. A lot of neck pickups are too bright for me, like getting an ice pick in the ear. Not these. Bright, but not overly so. Overall a very quality set of pickups for not a lot of money. GFS is just another option if you are thinking about saving a little cash.

[/quote']

+1 on the GFS '59s. put them in my les paul and the difference was night and day. Yeah, they might not be Gibsons, but I honestly don't think there's $120 worth of differences between them.

I have had all three of these and prefer the 57 Classic Plus pickups. Had the SD 59's in a Washburn semi hollow body and it really did not do that much for me. Installed a 57 Classic Plus in the bridge of a cheap Aslin Dane SG copy and it absolutely sings now. Also installed the 57 Classic Plus in my Epiphone LP Custom and it really shines now too. Sounds great clean or with distortion. The stock Epi humbucker that came with the LP Custom was really weak. Installed the 57 Plus and never looked back. I also have an Epi LP Elitist and the pickups that come in those are actually really good. Just to round out the group, I have a Pearly Gates humbucker in my Fender Lonestar HSS Strat and that is a good pickup too. Sound is subjective but my vote is for the 57 Plus. Good luck!

You could try lowering the Epi pickups down around or below the rings (careful they don't fall in!), and some people report great results from replacing the rest of the electronics (especially with the RS stuff). I know a former pro who told me he just swapped out the bridge (put in a TonePros) in his LP 100 and he sounded real good. Of course, it was him playing, but still the sound was there for those who have the hands (and his Marshall!). Another guy I met once had a Gibby LP, and he had an SD 59 in the bridge and a Gibson 57 Classic in the neck and the combo (through his Marshall JTM 45) was incredible. Stevie and EC with a quick switch flip. Really.

Archived