Gibson Brands Forums

Semi competitors

leicester35

OK,

This may get nuked by the moderators, but what the heck?

I've been hankering after a semi for a while. Narrowed it down to two guitars (one of which is the Sheraton, the other is a Reverend Manta Ray. Looks like I might be going Manta. Sorry Epiphone, when I have the cash I'll buy a Sherry too, I promise).

However, I've never played an Ibanez Artcore. I've heard little good about the low-end ones, but has anyone tried the better ones (namely the AS 103 Custom)?

http://www.ibanez.com/hollow/guitar.aspx?m=AS103

492500.jpg

I'm not lusting after one of these, but I thought I'd just check that I'm not missing out on the greatest semi value of all time ever, before going ahead and making my purchase elsewhere...

It looks a bit flash to me. And I've never been in love with ceramic pickups. The Sheraton has bling, but then it also has balls. I don't know about these.

I had a look at the Artcore forum, but boy, they really love their Artcores over there. I think they may soon build a temple and offer sacrifices to the Great God Artcore.

Can anyone here offer a more objective opinion?

What Ron said or a Dot and an amp. I am one of the few around here that is not a big fan of the Sheraton, I don't like spending money on bling. I am not familiar with that model of Ibanez, but owning one Ibenez as my baseline for a response I felt it was a very good guitar, however it was a solid body and I have not heard a lot of good things about their semi hb's and hb's.

I know my response doesn't really help, but it offered me an opportunity to state my opinion. I'll send you a dollar and you can get that coffee that is offered with most opinions.

I think I've probably played almost every semi ever made between 1960-2005 and, although there are several that stand up well on their own merits, NONE of them can sound like a 335-style guitar.

I especially liked the high-end Ibys but I'll never consider substituting any semi for my elitist dots unless it's a 335, 345, 336, or other Gibson 335-body-style ax.

Washburn (or rather, the same factory) makes the same guitar Model HB-35 (with the Washburn headstock/logo) as the Ibanez...

You can find them, on E-bay, quite often. Might check around the UK for a Washburn dealer, as well. The Korean versions had pretty decent reviews/reputations. I think, like everything else anymore, they're made in China, now? So, not sure if that's good or bad?

CB

Washburn (or rather' date=' the same factory) makes the same guitar Model HB-35 (with the Washburn headstock/logo) as the Ibanez...

You can find them, on E-bay, quite often. Might check around the UK for a Washburn dealer, as well. The Korean versions had pretty decent reviews/reputations. I think, like everything else anymore, they're made in China, now? So, not sure if that's good or bad?

CB

[/quote']

Ah, right. Thanks Charlie...

Now I look at photos on line, I see the similarities. I've played a Washburn HB-35 and wasn't in love. Saves me hunting down the Ibanez to try (not that I was especially enthusiastic in the first place...(!))

Let's put it this way' date=' I have a Sheraton II (fine guitar) and an AS93 Deluxe (one step below an AS103 Custom) and my AS93 is everything my Sheraton wishes it could be. Ibanez before Epiphone is the right choice.

[/quote']Really, and what makes this super duper Ibanez any better than a Sheri? Basically they have the same neck, the same body...probably sourced from the same place. Please expound on this revelation you've had. Perhaps it's the cheap flame veneer that has you so intoxicated. =D>

Just my 2 cents...I had an Ibanez AS73, and was really disapointed with that guitar. I sell it after 2 weeks. Both pickups sounded crappy and It could'nt stay tuned. I also had a hardtime to adjust the harmonics...the G string was always out of tune. But I understand it was not a AS103...

I used to have one of the thicker artcores, not sure what model number. I loved it, personally. I used it just like I used my Les Pauls, through a high gain rig playing hard rock. Sounded great to me, sometimes even better than the Epi pauls. That was with the Behringer rig though... once I upgraded to my Mesa, I started having feedback issues with it. Obviously it was because I was using it for something it was never intended to be used for... and no fault of the guitar itself... I ended up selling it to get cash towards my Gibson LP Studio, which I ended up selling to buy drums. I regret selling the Ibanez more than I do selling the Gibson. If I could find another one, I'd buy it again... but sadly, that model has been discontinued. I think I paid $350 for it new.

Here's the only pic I have of it, it's a pic of me playing it on stage:

ibanezti2.jpg

Can I ask what you especially liked about them? Anything you didn't like? Some people seem to dislike the neck joint. Does it have a very prominent heel in your experience? Advice appreciated' date=' thanks![/quote']

They were very well built. Good wood, good hardware, good workmanship. However, they sounded more to the 'jazz' side of semi tones than to the 'blues' or 'rock' side. Had no trouble at all with pristine clean sounds but certainly experienced the traditional feedback problems when I went for the overdriven and/or distorted tones.

Unlike the 335-type guitars they seemed more of a 'one-trick pony' (jazz) guitar.

They compare well to the Broadway and Byrdland type guitars. Very well made, very beautiful. Not very versatile. IMO.

So many of these type guitars are now coming out of the same factory or are sourced as same body parts it hardly matters the brand name.

OK' date='

So imagine I gave you a budget of up to $1000 and asked you to buy me a new 335-style guitar (and a case). This is a fair comparison, as I have no intention of spending over £700.

What would you pick?

[i'][p.s. thanks eveyone for their earlier input, duly noted.][/i]

THe ibanez artcore guitars generally play ok- I found they have a shorter neck than my Sherry- you can put them in your lap like a classical guitar. I've played several of them and they were pretty good. I'd definitely take my Sherry ahead of them- but I do like them. My old jazz guitar is an Ibanez Howard Roberts (1976) and my classical guitar is also an Ibanez- So I've had good experiences with the brand. But I've never played a guitar with a neck as good as my Sheraton. The Howard Roberts is SMOOOOTH, the Ibanez artcores I tried were nice, but my sherry plays like butter!

I haven't tried the REVEREND brand, but I've heard nice things about them

My experience has basically been that you need to try any guitar before you buy. I tried a lot of Epiphones and never was too impressed; then I picked up (in succession) an Emperor Regent which was amazing, and the Sheraton that made me pull out my credit card. The bottom line is that no matter which brand you choose, there are going to be exemplars within each line that stand out and there are going to be some that are substandard. Try em all- and don't dismiss an entire line because you played- or owned one bad example.

My experience has basically been that you need to try any guitar before you buy.

Truer words have never been spoken.

I get on very well with the manager of my local guitar shop. He has ordered a Reverend for me' date=' but on the understanding that if I don't like it, he'll have to hang it on the wall with the rest of his stock, and I'll take a Sheraton off him instead.

[Argh!'] The deals one enters into over a:

pint.jpg

...or 4.

OK' date='

So imagine I gave you a budget of up to $1000 and asked you to buy me a new 335-style guitar (and a case). This is a fair comparison, as I have no intention of spending over £700.

What would you pick?

Me personally, I'd look for a good Sheraton, or maybe an Elitist Riviera, if you can find one, at that price.

Even the Nick Valensi Riviera, would be a good start. You could always change out the P-94's for '57's

or "Burstbuckers," if you didn't like the P-94 tone, with no modification to the body required. Mini-humbuckers,

on the Elitist (and Korean standard) Riviera's are decent/awesome. Nice cross between P-90 articulation,

and Humbucker tone! BUT...that's just me!

CB

OK' date='

What would you pick?

Again, most all of these imports are going to be the same regardless of the the name on the headstock, if I wanted a good 335 style and couldn't afford even a used Gibson I'd go find a used Heritage one.

I have to second the Washburn recommendation.

I have one of the Japanese ones made in the early 80s. I was very lucky as the guitar did not have a mark on it. I swapped out the pickups with Duncan Seth Lovers, had a pro set up. I thought about changing the tuners but the originals were so smooth that there was no need. I did swap the bridge and tail stop with Tonepros. Not sure that that the bridge mods made any difference. I also changed out all of the electronics (it was an experience that I do not want to repeat soon, took 10 times longer than I thought it would, ended up kicking the dog and yelling at the wife.) Anyway, all of that effort ended in a guitar that I will take to my grave.

I have to second the Washburn recommendation.

I have one of the Japanese ones made in the early 80s. I was very lucky as the guitar did not have a mark on it. I swapped out the pickups with Duncan Seth Lovers' date=' had a pro set up. I thought about changing the tuners but the originals were so smooth that there was no need. I did swap the bridge and tail stop with Tonepros. Not sure that that the bridge mods made any difference. I also changed out all of the electronics (it was an experience that I do not want to repeat soon, took 10 times longer than I thought it would, ended up kicking the dog and yelling at the wife.) Anyway, all of that effort ended in a guitar that I will take to my grave.[/quote']What you got from the 80's and what they have now are 2 different things. AGAIN...all these imports are THE SAME THING now days. GET IT???

Again' date=' most all of these imports are going to be the same regardless of the the name on the headstock, if I wanted a good 335 style and couldn't afford even a used Gibson I'd go find a used Heritage one.[/quote']

Good idea, but finding a Heritage this side of the pond will really be nigh on impossible.

Getting away from Asian-made guitars, the only real option would be to go British and buy a Gordon-Smith Gypsy.

http://www.gordonsmithguitars.com/products/category.php?id=3

Hum, that's not a bad idea. Would still walk away with change from £700. Made to order guitar, very nice. But they normally have a long waiting list...

Archived