Gibson Brands Forums

A Reminder to all this winter season

PapaMidnite

Hey all .I have a recent story to tell you. Now listen up. The other day it snowed .I work on Police and snow equipment .So I get called in to work all night get home early the next day .fire up my snow blower and make a pass when a stick gets caught in chute .I pull the drive handle to off .Grab the stick and [WHACK] it pulls my hand in [OH GOD] pull my hand back ..... Missing some of my middle finger left hand a lot of blood and pain .thank God my wife was home . Off the the hospital .Three broken fingers and missing the tip of my middle from where the nail used to be .Surgery on the 29th .I should be able to play again in awhile with a lot of work.So PLEASE if you are tired or think you are OK STOP !!!think of this story [shiver] and don't just think If i can just do one more DON'T IT'S NOT WORTH IT .If I can stop just one of you Then that's a great thing .Hate to bum you out .So lets all have a SAFE and heartfelt Holiday Papa---------[stubby]

Man.. I'm sorry that happened and best wishes to you.

Great of you to share the story and remind us all how lucky it is to be able to play, too!

I've been whining the last couple of days over a tiny cut on my finger tip.. cause the strings fit right in it so I can't play.

You put things in perspective!

Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery!

TWANG

wow - sad story buddy. About 2 years ago I cut the end off of my left Index Finger (wacked it 2/3 off with a Table Saw - it was hangin' there flipped open). They sewed it back on - gave me some fairly decent "medication" [-X I was in a big splint thing and bandaged up for a few weeks - eventually it all came off. My finger hurt but was also NUMB as a rock and missing the nail, etc) I played my guitar the 1st night it came off - totally spazzed - couldn't use it as it was very painful - I finally found Barre Chording was fair so I did that for a month or 2 (along with some hillatious lead using all dem other fingers).

I took awhile buddy but I'm OK now although it's still numb at the tip - I'm able to compensate and I'm fine playin' music! You'll heal... Nice move too! =D> I'm 57 and been using saws all my life (all kinds including table saws) - couldn't believe I did that...

Ouch! Man, sorry to hear about your damage. Especially for a guitar player, that reeeeeally sucks. You certainly have my sympathy. Hang in there. It'll be tough, but it'll be back. I had some nerve damage in my right arm that darn near cost me what little fingerpickin' skills I had. Had to fight to force my fingers to learn all over again to do what they already knew how to do. That was weird. In the process, I actually got a little better at it. That was weird, too. Anyway, they'll probably just make ya wanna play but try to enjoy the meds while they last, and take it easy. =D>

Gil...

Thanks for the reminder! I just took my snowblower apart and replaced the drive belts and adjusted all of the tension arms because it wasn't running right and I refuse to do anything to it running for fear of what happened to you. In fact I disconnect the plug wire to even clean it. I know it may not seem so now but you are one of the lucky ones and you will play again I'm sure! Best wishes for a speedy recovery and here's a little perspective too.

Papa,

Thanks for the post and for the reminder to be careful and safe. I'm also very sorry about the accident, but am glad you are safe, and that with time, you'll be able to be playing again! Godspeed on a quick recovery and God Bless you today and through the road back to making music again:)

Merry Christmas!

-John

I had a friend who was oiling the chain on his harley.. and using his thumb to sort of smooth the oil along the chain.

running. on the stand.

well.. the chain caught a better grip than he expected, and his thumb ran right around the rear sprocket.

so now he don't hitchike worth beans.

took of the whole nail.

I had a cyst removed from my finger..

stupid thing was tender and I couldn't play without wincing.

Driving back from the hospital this guy cut me off.. so I pulled next to him and showed him my bandage.

it was my middle finger, if you get my drift.

And he cracked up.. and we both drove along side by side laughing while I kept showing him my bandage making faces.

It was a really big bandage.

TWANG

Oh yeah, while we're on the subject. Here's a few more thoroughly tested stupid human tricks to avoid at all costs. =;

Don't stick your hand in a blender that's "on" just to free the ice cream spoon that's jamming the blades. Minced fingers don't work very well for fingerpicking guitar.

Don't do back flops from treehouses 20 feet up, without checking for water below first. Don't make one point landings on your motorcycle helmet. And don't even think of ice skating on wet wax while wearing flip flops! Fingers just don't seem to work at all with dead nerves.

Don't chop your way out from under a hurricane using a machete with no wrist strap to keep it from slipping from your hot sweaty hands and slicing a big scar into your wrist almost severing the carpal nerve. Lack of a thumb won't help your fretting technique.

Don't critically overheat the deep frying oil and stand over it as you throw in the frozen shrimp. Crispy fried fingers hurt too much to even pick your nose, much less pick a tune; and frying half your face off is not gonna help you get a gig, or a date.

Oh yeah, and whatever you do, don't suck your girlfriend's hair into a vacuum cleaner. She won't get the joke, especially if it's got a beater brush, and you'll be lucky to survive with only a few broken fingers. :-k

Gil...

Man, that must be an old snowblower! I can't imagine one being sold these days that doesn't have the auger drive controlled by an instant shut-off lever on the handle. I used to have an ancient Monkey Ward model that would keep going and throwing even if you fell on your face. That one, you could definitely get your mitts chewed up in, but the one I've got now stops the auger as soon as you let go of the handle.

Good luck with the heal.

Archived