Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Ebony LP Jr new yesterday fr GC - quality questions

Duffy

Just got an Epi Ebony LP Jr new yesterday fr GC and have quality questions.

Been playing for many years and have two really nice '07 LP standards one is a plus top, both have Seymour Duncan pups installed by me, awesome.

I like this Guitar Center ebony lp jr but wonder if it is of such low quality that I should return it and get something like an "Obey" Squire standard stratocaster or telecaster, unique graphics, 100 more.

Or save up and get a Classic Vibe pinecaster tele.

This epi lp jr plays great, has great action, no buzz at all. looks good, feels good, and I like it. It does not sound like a strat or as smooth as my LP std plus top w SD pups, but I can put a SD JB in it or another great SD pup.

The stock humbucker is hot and does actually sound a lot like a p90. I compared it to one of my p90 guitars.

I know a lot of you have experience with this new style LP Jr and can give me some advice.

Is it worth keeping or a waste of money? Is the quality really poor? Seems okay to me.

Would a pup change improve it substantially or would it be smarter to just get a better sounding guitar to begin with?

I'm sure we have some fans of the new style Guitar Center Epi LP JR as well as some critics.

Your feedback is invaluable at this point when I'm considering returning it and getting something else.

The place I got it at has a Squire standard stratocaster in Candy Apple Red w rosewood board for 100 more, the HSS version with the humbucker in the bridge. I already have a cherry sunburst squire standard strat with sss pups and it sounds really great, brand new '08. It is possible that the HSS CAR one would be a good guitar with some different sound.

Really needing some quality feedback on the Epi new style HB LP JR.

Thanks in advance.

Duffy

Winfield, Pa.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just got an Epi Ebony LP Jr new yesterday fr GC and have quality questions.

Been playing for many years and have two really nice '07 LP standards one is a plus top' date=' both have Seymour Duncan pups installed by me, awesome.

I like this Guitar Center ebony lp jr but wonder if it is of such low quality that I should return it and get something like an "Obey" Squire standard stratocaster or telecaster, unique graphics, 100 more.

Or save up and get a Classic Vibe pinecaster tele.

This epi lp jr plays great, has great action, no buzz at all. looks good, feels good, and I like it. It does not sound like a strat or as smooth as my LP std plus top w SD pups, but I can put a SD JB in it or another great SD pup.

The stock humbucker is hot and does actually sound a lot like a p90. I compared it to one of my p90 guitars.

I know a lot of you have experience with this new style LP Jr and can give me some advice.

Is it worth keeping or a waste of money? Is the quality really poor? Seems okay to me.

Would a pup change improve it substantially or would it be smarter to just get a better sounding guitar to begin with?

I'm sure we have some fans of the new style Guitar Center Epi LP JR as well as some critics.

Your feedback is invaluable at this point when I'm considering returning it and getting something else.

The place I got it at has a Squire standard stratocaster in Candy Apple Red w rosewood board for 100 more, the HSS version with the humbucker in the bridge. I already have a cherry sunburst squire standard strat with sss pups and it sounds really great, brand new '08. It is possible that the HSS CAR one would be a good guitar with some different sound.

Really needing some quality feedback on the Epi new style HB LP JR.

Thanks in advance.

Duffy

Winfield, Pa.[/quote']I fail to see your point here.

You bought it, you played it, but now you want opinions on kepping it? #-o #-o #-o

Duffy,

Return it. You are so unsure of wanting it, it isn't grabbing you.

This sounds like a post for the other forum (thefret). What are you doing, slumming?

Personally I wouldn't get the others you mentioned, but I would upgrade the LP and probably buy it from another store.

Catch you over at the other place.

MaxBros,

****You bought it, you played it, but now you want opinions on kepping it? ****

Yo Bro, that's exactly right! How'd you guess?

A lot of people on this site obviously buy this guitar and have their own feelings about it. I'm asking those who wish to comment to share their ideas with me, know what I mean?

Do you have one of the new Epi LP Jr's or are you just jumping in with a tangential comment?

Duffy

This epi lp jr plays great' date=' has great action, no buzz at all. looks good, feels good, and I like it. It does not sound like a strat or as smooth as my LP std plus top w SD pups, but I can put a SD JB in it or another great SD pup. [/quote']

Ok so..what's wrong with the quality if it plays great, has great action and no buzz..moreover feels good and looks good ?? I really don't see any lack of quality as you've stated.. if you're concerned about the pups then sure it's not so great but you can always change it to the ones you like..even the finest of the guitars sometimes have to be tweaked to get it's best out..i've seen people change pickups of a Gibson...

yes the juniors are of good quality as well.... you've bought it now have a little time to know it, play with it, fiddle around.. I guess your a bit new to this that's why you're not sure on why you got it. Juniors are lovely guitars.. i haven't owned one but have played it.. the one i had played was of a very good quality and built and sounded like you said something like the p90. if you really don't feel like it then sure send it back...it all depends on what you feel.. but it's not a bad guitar..

MaxBros' date='

A lot of people on this site obviously buy this guitar and have their own feelings about it. I'm asking those who wish to comment to share their ideas with me, know what I mean?

Do you have one of the new Epi LP Jr's or are you just jumping in with a tangential comment?

Duffy[/quote']

He's been in the eggnog, he'll come around.

MaxBros' date='

Duffy[/quote']

Okay, so Marx was being his usual brusque self, but I have to admit that I was a bit confused by your original post myself. Either you like it or you don't. Either you really wish you had purchased a "Fender-esque" guitar our you don't. If everything seems right with the Jr, then why all of the questions regarding quality?

Fenders (and Squires) are cool ... go ahead. We'll still like you and talk to you! Guitars are a very personal thing, and asking for opinions (especially in of THIS group) on a subject like this is kind of like asking a group of people what "sweet" tastes like. Only you know if this ax is right for you! GC gives you a couple of weeks to put it through its paces. Roll with it a few days ad see how it settles in!

MIDI

Ayushpresley,

Thanks dude. That's the type of feedback that is useful. You don't own one but you have hands on experince. I hand picked this one from new boxes and it is in great shape with low action, no buzz at all, sounds good clean and expecially driven, very p90ish.

I question my decision mainly because the guitar is so cheap. But the tone and volume knobs are not kill switches, they work well all the way thru their sweep, including the tone knob, very responsive thru the range of the sweep. The pup is hot. Plugged in another guitar to my Delta Blues and had to turn the amp up. Playing straight in, no effects.

This is a bolt on neck one with a open coil humbucker. Is that the one you are familiar with. This is an '08 model. Probably no change from recent years.

It really seem to be a nice little inexpensive guitar. But those Squire "Obey" strats with the basswood body, duncan designed pups and rusty looking hardware really are looking good; and the telecaster has a SD humbucker in the bridge and SD single coil in the neck, an unusual set up. Look cool to me as well.

Strum,

That DOT looks a lot like my Ibanez AS73. What is that guitar in the background with the big ole tremolo on it?

Duffy

Midi,

I'm not sure you got my drift.

It was very general. I like the guitar. It is a really good example of the new style epi lp jr, totally nice. Something I've wanted for a long time.

I have read, not too long ago, reports from people who don't like the new one with the humbucker. You know how people are. Someone is going to not like things.

My idea here is to get some feedback on the observed "quality" of the new style lp jr's they bought. This could help me decide if I want to keep it. If the build quality isn't good and people have had enormous problems with them it would be good info for me to know.

I like this guitar. I bought it after comparing it to a couple other inexpensive guitars.

I'm wondering, for instance, specifically, what kind of "wood" is the body made of. Different web sites say mahogany and others say maple/alder. All sites agree it's a mahogany neck which I think leads to a real nice tone.

I would be concerned if I found out it was a plywood body, as in regular plywood you get at Lowes or places like that; a thick piece of thinly laminated 1/16th of an inch slabs of wood piled on top of glue and pressed down then cut out into the body. That is what I mean by quality, the electronics seem to be great on mine. I would be bummed out if I found out it had a plywood body as in the description above.

I can handle bodies where separate pieces of solid wood are glued together side by side, vertically I guess one might say, then the body is cut out. Like two piece body LP's are done. I'm wondering if that is the type of body it is or the other way around, like construction type plywood, laminated horizontally so to speak, laying flat.

The body construction may be something that doesn't matter much if the guitar really gets your attention. But I would like to know anyway, what way the body is made. People have been inside these and seen the wood in the routs.

I really like this guitar, don't get me wrong. I'm asking about known quality isssues that owners would be familiar with. Tuners, I know have been replaced by many.

I have never had a wrap around stop tail bridge. I have heard that strings break a lot on the LP Jr because of the angle of the string bend coming back over the top of the bridge. Maybe this is from abuse but I would like to know if others have experienced that problem.

I guess I'm asking for observations from people who have used one of these new style LP Jr's or own one; people that have personal experience with this model.

Naturally there are a lot of other guitars that we all like and wouldn't mind having.

I have always wanted a LP Jr though, and picked out a very nice one, right out of the box, no set up needed. That says something for the initial quality and the superficial quality, but it doesn't say anything about the "test of time" or other quality issues that may be specific to this guitar but only show up to owners after they have had them a while.

Sorry, I thought my ideas were fairly clear in the original post. Looking for input from users that have standed the "test of time".

Hope some of you guys feedback.

Duffy

Growler,

Is your '57 reissue LP Jr just like my '08 model? One open coil humbucker originally. Epiphone "trident" logo on the truss rod cover, or is yours a different model.

I was thinking of possibly putting in one of those HB sized P90 maybe, but this pup is okay for sure and hot.

Great feedback dude. Thanks.

Duffy

"I would be concerned if I found out it was a plywood body, as in regular plywood you get at Lowes or places like that; a thick piece of thinly laminated 1/16th of an inch slabs of wood piled on top of glue and pressed down then cut out into the body. That is what I mean by quality, the electronics seem to be great on mine. I would be bummed out if I found out it had a plywood body as in the description above.

I can handle bodies where separate pieces of solid wood are glued together side by side, vertically I guess one might say, then the body is cut out. Like two piece body LP's are done. I'm wondering if that is the type of body it is or the other way around, like construction type plywood, laminated horizontally so to speak, laying flat."

I have a P90 jr. The one you have, like mine, is a plywood body. Most Fender type bodies are solid pieces of wood glued side by side as you say. But that is not a bad thing. Very few guitars are one piece bodies. But the $99 jr is a plywood body, laminated. Who cares, it was around $99 and if it is like mine (although mine has the P90) they are cool cheap guitars.

If you want a solid mahogany body jr style guitar for cheap look on the Rondo site.

"I would be concerned if I found out it was a plywood body' date=' as in regular plywood you get at Lowes or places like that; a thick piece of thinly laminated 1/16th of an inch slabs of wood piled on top of glue and pressed down then cut out into the body. That is what I mean by quality, the electronics seem to be great on mine. I would be bummed out if I found out it had a plywood body as in the description above.

I can handle bodies where separate pieces of solid wood are glued together side by side, vertically I guess one might say, then the body is cut out. Like two piece body LP's are done. I'm wondering if that is the type of body it is or the other way around, like construction type plywood, laminated horizontally so to speak, laying flat."

I have a P90 jr. The one you have, like mine, is a plywood body. Most Fender type bodies are solid pieces of wood glued side by side as you say. But that is not a bad thing. Very few guitars are one piece bodies. But the $99 jr is a plywood body, laminated. Who cares, it was around $99 and if it is like mine (although mine has the P90) they are cool cheap guitars.

If you want a solid mahogany body jr style guitar for cheap look on the Rondo site.

[/quote']Who cares what it's made of, he played it, either he likes the sound or not. Either he likes the feel of it or not. Would it matter what it was made of then? Unless he bought it to hang on a wall and talk about rather than play.:-

Who cares what it's made of' date=' he played it, either he likes the sound or not. Either he likes the feel of it or not. Would it matter what it was made of then? Unless he bought it to hang on a wall and talk about rather than play.:- [/quote']

Come on Marx, it's Christmas, give it a rest. ahhhhhhh.gif

He explained his reason for the question, let it go.

Bro,

I have bought a donut before and asked that. A lot of people do. Sometimes I wish I hadn't.

Anyway, do you have a LP Jr or have you had substantial experience with one?

I play my guitars every day dude. I'm retired and have time to play. Have some great guitars and amps.

Always wanted a LP Jr but there are different versions with different build quality, with which I am not familiar.

It plays good dude.

Think positive man. Some people care what a guitar is made from, even a cheap one. It's not a ridiculous question. Things like photo finishes I can't handle; maybe it's a generational thing or a chemistry thing. I like the "Obey" Squire standard photo finishes though, but it doesn't look like fake wood, it's art.

Duffy

I could have listed questions instead of the dialog, but I'm me and

"I'm Free!" W I know what I'm thinking dude. I got some ideas and some questions and they're all cool.

Everything's cool dude. No problem here.

I own several versions of both Epi and Gibson LP Juniors, including, 2 of the bolt-neck/humbucker variety. Both are cheap, fun little guitars that with a little work, are quite playable. Are they the quality of my Gibsons? Not even close. These are the Bic Razors of the music world, Duffy! As close to disposable guitars as have ever been made. As to value? They usually cost $99 @ MF/M123/GC. Sometimes that goes up, I remember once, $119. Often on sale in the $79-$89 range, but I have seen a recent promotion where buying any Gibson/Epiphone guitar for $499 and up got you the opportunity to buy an Epiphone LP Junior (yes, same guitar as yours) for $28.95. Figure its value as a used guitar somewhere between $30-75. Now, what's it WORTH? Depends on whether it belongs to a player who puts it to use, or not.

Snookelputz,

I'm a player and don't care about resale value. When I'm gone all my guitars will go to my son and a few other people close to me.

Just played the Jr for quite a while on clean and drive and it sounds strong. The tone knob on mine is very functional with a full range of the tonal sweep. It, of course, doesn't sound like my mahogany '66 copy Epi SG custom shop guitar, but it is still a good guitar and has remarkable build quality from my perspective looking at it from the outside. The fretboard edges are smoothly rounded and varnished/poly'd, and everything else is in top shape.

So, I could see this guitar having value to me as a player. I can see the value of it. Obviously you have two of them for some reason and you sound like a player.

Plus one other note for collectors: you will never know which guitars will be the high value collector's items twenty years from now. People buying old relics will want certain guitars, maybe they will be Dimebag guitars, ESP's, things like that and things like Metallica an Kurt Cobain played. You know. LP's and strats might be "has beens", flooding the market, with only the finest ones drawing big money like the gold rustic looking Eric Clapton stratocaster and the Bob Marley Gibson LP Studio. I'd love to have one of those really special strats or LP's someday. It would be a gamble involving big bucks to try to anticipate which guitars will be the big dollar relics, although, like above, some are obvious.

and again laminate is not the same as plywood so we should stop calling any of them plywood.

often you'll find sticks glued together.. this is typical of many manufacturers.

the glue today is so strong and so light and thin it simply does nothing bad to make them that way.

except cosmetically. good wood is good wood.

it isn't as if you broke your laminate guitar into pieces and you'd find those eye shaped void patches in the wood.. you wont.

it's just the same as with sticks.. thinner good wood that would be stupid to waste.. and would make a guitar less expensive and still give it tone wood and hardwood for it's construction.

I'll never understand why some guitars which use sticks glued together get sunburst finishes.. that's just dumb.

And I'll never understand, except for the cost, why they don't do a better job of hiding laminate at edges, or sticks on top and back with more

sanding, better sealer.

As far as quality goes.. it's a low priced instrument, so for me the main points are does it play well.. is it solidly built, is the finish good,

the electronics and hardware up to snuff.

If it hits those criteria, then I'd call it good.

Tweaking it is no problem.. you can do a great deal with just pups, or some electronic changes.

So if it feels good, looks good, and plays nice. you got what you should expect from a guitar in that price range.

my sheraton, and lots of other guitars, are laminate woods. expensive ones, too.

and there are guitars that are made of various grades of wood.. basswood has a range, so does mahogany or maple or alder...

in the least expensive guitars you aren't going to get the most expensive wood.

the bottom line doesn't change though.

You can't get brazilian rosewood on a low end instrument.. in fact, you can rarely get it at all. That doesn't mean all the others suck.

You can pop a humbuck size p90 in there. you can get a four conductor humbuck for series/parallel or single/dual coil sounds.

you have a lot of wiring options beyond that, too.

So I'd say.. take careful stock.. neck feel, weight, etc.. and go by that with less worry about what it's made of.

TWANG

and again laminate is not the same as plywood so we should stop calling any of them plywood.

TWANG

Exactly. A laminated wood are solid pieces of wood glued together. Plywood are layers of wood chips pressed together.

they are:

1) Much stronger than a solid piece of wood

2) Not prone to warp even under the toughest condition.

People get so worked up over laminate and like a solid piece of wood, there are grades of quality.

Wow. Those last few responses were really informative. Well put. Easy for me to understand.

This Black Epi LP Jr is outstanding in all aspects of build quality as far as I can tell from looking at it and playing it: low action, zero buzz, smooth bridge, beautiful neck, zero finish flaws like some of the ones I tested, real good tonal range on the tone knob full sweep all the way from P90 type twang to growling grumbling roaring power chords.

This guitar is top quality in my opinion for what it is. It is really beautiful and nicely done. My questions were more related to things I can't easily evaluate like the new style quality and pup quality, and known concerns. And if it is just a kid's starter guitar or something more. You guys have answered these questions. It's good quality if it checks out great like it does and it's more than just a kid's starter guitar. After all it is a copy of a great Gibson guitar, not a toy.

I want to keep it. Always wanted an LP Jr. The other guitars like the Classic Vibe tele or strats are also nice and alluring. But I can keep this one and not be out any substantial amount of money and get one of them later.

The Lp Jr is a really cool looking guitar in my opinion and it could have found a stable, and get some new shoes and a sweeter bridle.

Thanks guys,

Duffy

After all it is a copy of a great Gibson guitar' date=' not a toy.

Duffy[/quote']Actually it IS more of a toy than anything. If you don't realize that, well....your senseless post confirms my suspicions. You are clueless. Continue on in your delusion.:-k

Archived