Gibson Brands Forums

look at this fake...

Memphs1978

like I've told before..these bullseye and buzzsaw models are very hard to tell from fake to genuine.. for some reason these counterfeits seem to look very close to the real thing..some careful watchers can tell them straight away but it's really hard to tell for normal guys...and look at that he's selling it for double the price.. you get those for USD 350-400

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but could this listing be crossing the fine line between simply immoral and completely illegal? The seller on craigslist disclosed that it is a "replica" but I still don't think it is legal to sell a product that has infringed upon a copyright here in America. I know that these fakes (the epi's, gibsons, and fenders) are coming off of CHINESE websites like musoland, but since the CHINESE (or any other country, china just seems to be the leader in fakes) don't have to follow our copyright laws they can do whatever they want. I was under the impression that even if you say "oh its a fake" it doesn't take away from the fact that you are re-selling a product that is infringing upon copyright laws. Take for example bootleg DVDs. Even if I had them shipped from overseas and then told the people buying them from me, "oh these are fake", wouldn't I still get in a mess-load of trouble? Shouldn't this guy be a little bit worried that the police don't call and get his address, then show up at his house with a warrant? Just a thought.

i emailed the cat and told him that it was a fake and i told him that i was sorry that he got took for so much money but i didnt think it was ok to be selling a fake guitar like that and then he told me where to go and how to get there so to say... so idk i just thought it was interesting that he was so ballsy to first of all try to sell it and then to ask so much for it.. just wanted to show you guys thats all..

No I appreciate you posting this. Hopefully some kids thinking about buying epiphone will see this and see just how bold some people are when doing this stuff. I mean, if someone acted totally legit when I met up with him to check it out, and I really didn't know what I was looking for (fake vs real), I could have been fooled. Yeah and especially for $700 you could be into any number of Epi Les Pauls, a Sheraton II, or any other number of good guitars. Sucks for whoever buys it from him. Oh by the way, your signature line says you found a bolt-on neck guitar outside? That's awesome, what is the story behind that?

i was string triming ( weed-eating ) along a row of yew bushes in down town kansas city mo and i happen to look down and see this guitar in the row of yew's picked it up took it home cleaned out all the eletronics re-strung it and pluged it in and it worked lol its the all black lp in my picm( 2nd from the right ) its got a very very diffrent tone then any other of my guitars.. its name is.. annie... like little orphen annie lol thats my story btw im not really sure of the age or model of it.. its got a carved top the s/n is on the neck plate idk its pretty kool guitar im thinking of putting emg's in it to make it sound that much more pissed off lol

i emailed the cat and told him that it was a fake and i told him that i was sorry that he got took for so much money but i didnt think it was ok to be selling a fake guitar like that and then he told me where to go and how to get there so to say... so idk i just thought it was interesting that he was so ballsy to first of all try to sell it and then to ask so much for it.. just wanted to show you guys thats all..

Hi Guys, new to the board. Just picked up an Epi Les Paul Jr. to use for slide only about an hour ago and I'm pretty happy already.

Okay...I busted a guy on Craigslist here in Chicago selling a Chinese Ace Frehley Les Paul ripoff. An Epiphone Les Paul rip off too. I called Gibson, and they said that it is absolutely illegal for anyone to sell this.

I own three Gibson Les Pauls, a Flying V and now this Epiphone, and it really pissed me off that this guy was asking a grand for a Chinese piece of crap.

I got flamed like you wouldn't believe because of it.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong' date=' but could this listing be crossing the fine line between simply immoral and completely illegal? The seller on craigslist disclosed that it is a "replica" but I still don't think it is legal to sell a product that has infringed upon a copyright here in America. I know that these fakes (the epi's, gibsons, and fenders) are coming off of CHINESE websites like musoland, but since the CHINESE (or any other country, china just seems to be the leader in fakes) don't have to follow our copyright laws they can do whatever they want. I was under the impression that even if you say "oh its a fake" it doesn't take away from the fact that you are re-selling a product that is infringing upon copyright laws. Take for example bootleg DVDs. Even if I had them shipped from overseas and then told the people buying them from me, "oh these are fake", wouldn't I still get in a mess-load of trouble? Shouldn't this guy be a little bit worried that the police don't call and get his address, then show up at his house with a warrant? Just a thought.[/quote']

No one should be selling anything even though you know it's fake and you've "honestly" said it's fake that too on a website which is seen by everyone.. he's proudly saying it to be a fake and selling it for a price where a normal guy could buy a good legit Epiphone. that guy regardless of him saying it's a copy shouldn't be allowed to sell it and if it was up to me i'd surely sack him..

The "avoid scams" thing is craigslist, and has nothing to do with his personal ad itself. Personally as long as the guy admits what the guitar is I don't see the big deal. I understand maybe dropping the guy a email with a link to the gibson counterfit info that Bluelake has in his post just as an fyi for the seller so the guy knows he might be able to get in some legal trouble, but being beligerent and such like Radiomatt did in his response to the guy with the ace frehley guitar just not cool(plus radiomatt instead of emailing the seller posted his comments as an ad thus why he got slammed like he did). On Craigslist there tends to be a lot of overreaction to peoples sales ads, guys buy a squire, mods it and then sells it as a modded squire and people freak out accusing them of fraud and making counterfit guitars. There are people on chicago's craigslist saying that fender waterslide decals are illegal to sell..LOL.... ... hell a guy with a guitar that gets refinished and wants original style decals can legally buy them and put them on his guitar without breaking any laws.

The "avoid scams" thing is craigslist' date=' and has nothing to do with his personal ad itself. Personally as long as the guy admits what the guitar is I don't see the big deal. I understand maybe dropping the guy a email with a link to the gibson counterfit info that Bluelake has in his post just as an fyi for the seller so the guy knows he might be able to get in some legal trouble, but being beligerent and such like Radiomatt did in his response to the guy with the ace frehley guitar just not cool(plus radiomatt instead of emailing the seller posted his comments as an ad thus why he got slammed like he did). On Craigslist there tends to be a lot of overreaction to peoples sales ads, guys buy a squire, mods it and then sells it as a modded squire and people freak out accusing them of fraud and making counterfit guitars. There are people on chicago's craigslist saying that fender waterslide decals are illegal to sell..LOL.... ... hell a guy with a guitar that gets refinished and wants original style decals can legally buy them and put them on his guitar without breaking any laws.[/quote']

This is directed to the last part of that quote. I agree that it's totally fine to buy original decals and put them on YOUR guitar, but my point is that when you SELL that no-name complete with Gibson or Epiphone decals, you are infringing upon copyright laws. Like you said, no-body should get in trouble for modding a squire and saying its a squier guitar with upgrades. My gripe is against people who either use misleading terms (as in "modded fender" which could be understood as "a fender with upgrades" or "I sanded off the squire logo and put on a Fender logo), or like this guy are just kind of spitting in the face of Copyright Laws. The people who build, buy, and resell these things are in this only for the ripoff scheme. If they were wanting to sell a guitar based on quality, then they would build it like normal and then put their OWN logo on it. But they don't do that because they want the to rip people off. (Disclaimer, I mean "you" as in "anyone" not "you" as in "kevin")

Archived